Spoke Tension

Old February 25th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Default Spoke Tension

Does anyone know what the spoke tension is suposed to be for the
Following Wheels?

24" Alex DX32 with 13 Guage spokes.
KH24 2007 with 13 Guage spokes.
KH29 2005 with 13 Guage spokes.

Recently I brought the 24" Alex DX32 wheel into a well know bicycle
shop to be trued. The mechanic measure the spoke tension and was in
shock he said that the spokes had about twice as much tension as any
bycicle wheel that he ever worked on. Does this seem logical?

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801

Old February 25th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

well uni wheels should have more tension than a bike wheel cause it
takes all of your weight as opposed to a bike wheel that takes half

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old February 25th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

iridemymuni wrote:
well uni wheels should have more tension than a bike wheel cause it
takes all of your weight as opposed to a bike wheel that takes half

That doesn't make sense. For a unicycle wheel you want it to be built
as strong as it can be with the components available, but the same is
true of a bike wheel.

--
Danny Colyer

http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Danny Colyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11637

Old February 25th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

Danny Colyer wrote:
That doesn't make sense. For a unicycle wheel you want it to be built
as strong as it can be with the components available, but the same is
true of a bike wheel.

i guarantee you theres more tension in the spokes of my trials uni than
any bike i own.

Old February 25th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

iridemymuni wrote:
i guarantee you theres more tension in the spokes of my trials uni than
any bike i own.

I couldn't with you more there iride. I also think the spokes of a
unicycle are more stronger than a bike for some reason. Cause in
comparison to a bike, wouldn't unicycle spokes have to be built to the
point of breaking because of people trying bunny hops and whatnot???

--
Hazmat

1 weird and unusual greek cypriot australian
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Old February 25th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

iridemymuni wrote:
i guarantee you theres more tension in the spokes of my trials uni than
any bike i own.

Yea, but none or your bikes are too crash hot. As Danny said, a rider
generally will want the strongest wheel build he/she can get with the
components they have no matter if its a bike or a uni.

--
tomtrevor

01010100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01100101
01110110 01101111 01110010
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
WHEEL WALK ON WATER

BLUEGREENORANGEBLACKPURPLEREDWHITEYELLOW
Thanks to my sponsers: my mum
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)'o'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread)'m'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)''s'
(http://www.freelineskates.com/) 'R'
(http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)'n'
(http://www.adcott.net/binary/)'d'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)'m'
(http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v0)
'L'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)'i'
(http://www.virtualgravy.com/)'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)'k'
(http://www.cheaphumor.com/)'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old February 25th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

Hazmat wrote:
I couldn't with you more there iride. I also think the spokes of a
unicycle are more stronger than a bike for some reason. Cause in
comparison to a bike, wouldn't unicycle spokes have to be built to the
point of breaking because of people trying bunny hops and whatnot???

Trials bikers and downhill mtber's probaly put a lot more pressure on
their wheel sets than we do. Either way bikers and unicyclists can both
use the same spokes and rims so the wheels we build cant be much
stronger than the other.

Old February 25th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

my bikes are alright, theyre not kmart material but there not worth
thousands of dollars.

and generally unicycle spokes do have more tension than bicycle spokes.

Old February 25th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

iridemymuni wrote:
my bikes are alright, theyre not kmart material but there not worth
thousands of dollars.

and generally unicycle spokes do have more tension than bicycle spokes.

I think because sometimes there are more spokes on a unicycle than a
MTB/BMX That's what i think.

Old February 25th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

Hazmat wrote:
I think because sometimes there are more spokes on a unicycle than a
MTB/BMX That's what i think.

but my bike has 72 spokes and my uni has 36 !!

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Spoke tension [email protected] Techniques 112 November 23rd 06 07:45 PM
spoke tension grawistkafn Unicycling 11 October 7th 06 11:24 PM
Spoke Tension Earl Bollinger General 3 October 4th 05 10:48 AM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM
(Un)even spoke tension Ted Bennett Techniques 2 July 17th 03 12:33 PM