Photos and Movies: Hawaii, Day 4 - cycling the most active volcano in the world

Old January 12th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,ba.bicycles

Default Photos and Movies: Hawaii, Day 4 - cycling the most active volcano in the world

Not quite the most speculator but possibly the most unique and diverse
ride I have ever done. The feature video is rather long at 5 minutes
but it has a lot of variety so give it view. Bonus points go to any who
watch the whole thing!

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park:
http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/volcanoes-np/

enjoy.

www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Old January 13th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,ba.bicycles

BEAUTIFUL!

Love it.

Old January 21st 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,ba.bicycles

HAts off to you for riding the route going up from the lava lookout
back to the park. Back in 2002, we did the Big Island Loop where we
stayed at the Army camp inside the VOlcano Park (best value
accomodation in the island). We got lucky as we got friendly with a
ranger who drove us down to the lava fields at night after his shift.
Of course we treated him to a buffet dinner at the army camp and gave
him some gas money for his effort.

I think seeing the lava up close esp at night is a once in a lifetime
experience. Make an effort to see it. Instead of riding up, maybe ask
any of the locals in a pickup for a hitch up. They are pretty
friendly up there.

We have a short writeup of the trip at
http://www.gaerlan.com/bigisland/haw.htm

ALoha !!

Old January 23rd 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,ba.bicycles

"I think seeing the lava up close esp at night is a once in a
lifetime
experience."

Unfortuantely, we were there only a day. We hope to go back sometime
soon and give the park three full days of our attention which is what
it deserves.

"Instead of riding up, maybe ask any of the locals in a pickup
for a hitch up."

Hmm... why? it's not a difficult climb. Climbing is one of the best
aspects of cycling. I wouldn't even consider asking for a "hitch up"
unless it was an emergency.

www.steephill.tv bike travelogue