Hydration pack

Old August 7th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Hydration pack

I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy
Old August 8th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/7/2019 5:56 PM, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

I use multiple bottles for long, hot rides. I also stop to refill,
and/or to pay for a cold drink if desirable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 8th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy

Do you mean a camelbak sort of thing?

They're good for MTBing where you can't readily take a hand of the bars,
and there's no bottle to bounce out of a cage, but for road riding I'd
not go that way.

Can you fit at least 2 water bottles within the main frame triangle?

I think you can get oversize bottles too, up to a litre or so?

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-magnum-bottle-1-litre-150768.html

In very hot (40C) and humid weather, I drink about 1 to 1.5 litres per
hour. My 2x 750ml bottles are just enough to get me from one town to
the next around here.

My latest acquisition is a gravel/touring bike. The frame has room for
3 bottles on the main triangle, and another 2 on the fork!

--
JS
Old August 8th 19, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 10:32:07 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
[...]

I can fit 2 bottle holders on my frame.

The problem is that one of them would interfere when I need to work on the bike and have to turn it upside down.

Andy
Old August 8th 19, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/8/19 2:08 pm, AK wrote:

I can fit 2 bottle holders on my frame.

The problem is that one of them would interfere when I need to work on the bike and have to turn it upside down.

Hmm. I guess you want to attach a work stand clamp to the seat tube?

I don't turn my bike upside down. If I wanted to do what I suspect you
do, it would be trivial to remove the bottle and unscrew the cage.

Be careful clamping the tube. Many bike frames these days have thin
walled tubes that can be damaged.

--
JS
Old August 8th 19, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
[...]

You can also fit a behind the seat rack that holds two large size
bottles and with the bottles removed does not protrude above the
saddle.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 8th 19, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 14:56:33 -0700, AK wrote:

I am shopping for a hydration pack.

I've never like any pack wiggling around on my back whilst riding.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I bumped the water bottle holding capacity up to five off the frame. That
was two inside, one hanging off the downtube and one off each fork. There
was also options to mount a pair off the handlebars, but I prefered mine
clean.

To stop bottles bouncing out, I used a custom cut "rubber band", If you
know the methof of slicing beans diagonally, I made them that way from
old "thornproof" tubes. It leaves a nice tab you can grip with your
fingers to obtain access.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Used a rack(front or rear) and a simple saddle bags set of panniers. then
you can carry whatever amount of water you need. I think my panniers can
carry a 5L bottle each. That is 1(UK)gallonn or 1.3(US)gallon.

If the sloshing worries you, you can just load up a number of market
water bottles these days. In those days, the give away gimmick was water
bottles and I have a box of them from that source I could use.