A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hydration pack



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 7th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default Hydration pack

I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy
  #2  
Old August 8th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,591
Default Hydration pack

On 8/7/2019 5:56 PM, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.


I use multiple bottles for long, hot rides. I also stop to refill,
and/or to pay for a cold drink if desirable.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old August 8th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,999
Default Hydration pack

On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy


Do you mean a camelbak sort of thing?

They're good for MTBing where you can't readily take a hand of the bars,
and there's no bottle to bounce out of a cage, but for road riding I'd
not go that way.

Can you fit at least 2 water bottles within the main frame triangle?

I think you can get oversize bottles too, up to a litre or so?

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-magnum-bottle-1-litre-150768.html

In very hot (40C) and humid weather, I drink about 1 to 1.5 litres per
hour. My 2x 750ml bottles are just enough to get me from one town to
the next around here.

My latest acquisition is a gravel/touring bike. The frame has room for
3 bottles on the main triangle, and another 2 on the fork!

--
JS
  #4  
Old August 8th 19, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 152
Default Hydration pack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 10:32:07 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy


Do you mean a camelbak sort of thing?

They're good for MTBing where you can't readily take a hand of the bars,
and there's no bottle to bounce out of a cage, but for road riding I'd
not go that way.

Can you fit at least 2 water bottles within the main frame triangle?

I think you can get oversize bottles too, up to a litre or so?

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-magnum-bottle-1-litre-150768.html

In very hot (40C) and humid weather, I drink about 1 to 1.5 litres per
hour. My 2x 750ml bottles are just enough to get me from one town to
the next around here.

My latest acquisition is a gravel/touring bike. The frame has room for
3 bottles on the main triangle, and another 2 on the fork!

--
JS


I can fit 2 bottle holders on my frame.

The problem is that one of them would interfere when I need to work on the bike and have to turn it upside down.

Andy
  #5  
Old August 8th 19, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,999
Default Hydration pack

On 8/8/19 2:08 pm, AK wrote:


I can fit 2 bottle holders on my frame.

The problem is that one of them would interfere when I need to work on the bike and have to turn it upside down.


Hmm. I guess you want to attach a work stand clamp to the seat tube?

I don't turn my bike upside down. If I wanted to do what I suspect you
do, it would be trivial to remove the bottle and unscrew the cage.

Be careful clamping the tube. Many bike frames these days have thin
walled tubes that can be damaged.

--
JS
  #6  
Old August 8th 19, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 490
Default Hydration pack

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 21:08:06 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 10:32:07 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 8/8/19 7:56 am, AK wrote:
I am shopping for a hydration pack.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.

Thanks,
Andy


Do you mean a camelbak sort of thing?

They're good for MTBing where you can't readily take a hand of the bars,
and there's no bottle to bounce out of a cage, but for road riding I'd
not go that way.

Can you fit at least 2 water bottles within the main frame triangle?

I think you can get oversize bottles too, up to a litre or so?

https://www.merlincycles.com/zefal-magnum-bottle-1-litre-150768.html

In very hot (40C) and humid weather, I drink about 1 to 1.5 litres per
hour. My 2x 750ml bottles are just enough to get me from one town to
the next around here.

My latest acquisition is a gravel/touring bike. The frame has room for
3 bottles on the main triangle, and another 2 on the fork!

--
JS


I can fit 2 bottle holders on my frame.

The problem is that one of them would interfere when I need to work on the bike and have to turn it upside down.

Andy


You can also fit a behind the seat rack that holds two large size
bottles and with the bottles removed does not protrude above the
saddle.
--

Cheers,

John B.
  #7  
Old August 8th 19, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 482
Default Hydration pack

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 14:56:33 -0700, AK wrote:

I am shopping for a hydration pack.


I've never like any pack wiggling around on my back whilst riding.

The bottle route does not supply enuf water for long rides.


I bumped the water bottle holding capacity up to five off the frame. That
was two inside, one hanging off the downtube and one off each fork. There
was also options to mount a pair off the handlebars, but I prefered mine
clean.

To stop bottles bouncing out, I used a custom cut "rubber band", If you
know the methof of slicing beans diagonally, I made them that way from
old "thornproof" tubes. It leaves a nice tab you can grip with your
fingers to obtain access.

I would appreciate feedback from users.

Like make/model of what you use.


Used a rack(front or rear) and a simple saddle bags set of panniers. then
you can carry whatever amount of water you need. I think my panniers can
carry a 5L bottle each. That is 1(UK)gallonn or 1.3(US)gallon.

If the sloshing worries you, you can just load up a number of market
water bottles these days. In those days, the give away gimmick was water
bottles and I have a box of them from that source I could use.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rash from hydration pack straps Joerg[_2_] Techniques 44 October 4th 14 01:52 PM
FS/ Hydration pack/Performance Mansoon Marketplace 0 November 6th 06 12:05 PM
Gerber hydration pack bad taste help [email protected] Social Issues 3 October 3rd 06 05:20 AM
Hydration Pack recommendations needed Kovie Techniques 6 May 20th 05 10:19 PM
Roach TV Hydration Pack forget_your_life Unicycling 10 April 28th 04 05:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.