Speed Cameras - Here We Go Again

Old December 5th 03, 08:59 AM
Robert Bruce

Default Speed Cameras - Here We Go Again

From this morning's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/li...hur-christie_2
0031205.ram

Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using
P**l S***h's """""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements
to their right to drive dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against a
representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out of her depth.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and
benefit.

Old December 5th 03, 11:28 AM
David Nutter

Robert Bruce said:
From this morning's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/li...hur-christie_2
0031205.ram

Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be using
P**l S***h's """""""research"""""" in order to complain about infringements
to their right to drive dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against a
representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out of her depth.

Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving"
position and for her part the BRAKE representative produced some figures
that couldn't be denied by the ABD representative who retorted with a rather
weak "It's all in the interpretation" style comment.

Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

All in all, a rather fun Controversy Slot.

Regards,

-david
Old December 5th 03, 11:33 AM
W K

"David Nutter" wrote in message
Robert Bruce said:
From this morning's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/li...hur-christie_2
0031205.ram

Something called The Association of British Drivers now appears to be

using

Yes, they got theirselves on "dispatches" too- pointed out their "worse
GATSO in britain" and the road engineer gave several good reasons why it was
there. They also have an analysis of global warming that'd get low marks
for a primary school kid.

OTOH They have members unlike "safe speed".

P**l S***h's """""""research"""""" in order to complain about

infringements
to their right to drive dangerously. Unfortunately, they were up against

representative of BRAKE who seemed totally out of her depth.

Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's "self-serving"
position and for her part the BRAKE representative produced some figures
that couldn't be denied by the ABD representative who retorted with a

rather
weak "It's all in the interpretation" style comment.

Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

All in all, a rather fun Controversy Slot.

Yes, where we used to get the BSE/SARS/AIDS comes from outer space loon.

Old December 5th 03, 11:37 AM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
David Nutter wrote:
Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

It was appalling. That sort of Blair-babe, tears-in-my-eyes, ``you're
all so stupid it makes me want to cry'' thing may play well in the
tabloids, but sounds hopeless on Radio 4 at a quarter to seven in the
morning. When she was reduced to ``Tell that to the family of...'' I
switched off. The ABD guy was talking the usual self-serving stuff
you'd expect, but he know how to present for the audience he had. Sure
to God campaigning charities realise the importance of presentation? If
not, what are they doing on a slot on Today?

ian
Old December 5th 03, 11:38 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:28:12 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter
wrote:

Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's
"self-serving"
position

Even getting him to accept the need for speed cameras it would seem. Smith
is probably beating him with birch twigs as we type and read.

Colin
Old December 5th 03, 11:52 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message
In article ,
David Nutter wrote:
Didn't think much of her "Think Of The Children" speech though...

It was appalling. That sort of Blair-babe, tears-in-my-eyes, ``you're
all so stupid it makes me want to cry'' thing may play well in the
tabloids, but sounds hopeless on Radio 4 at a quarter to seven in the
morning. When she was reduced to ``Tell that to the family of...'' I
switched off. The ABD guy was talking the usual self-serving stuff
you'd expect, but he know how to present for the audience he had. Sure
to God campaigning charities realise the importance of presentation? If
not, what are they doing on a slot on Today?

ian

I think she landed her punches. Even if her method doesn't appeal to
everyone it will appeal to many. Not everyone appearing on 'Today' needs to
be a gladiator and slay their opponent. Humphries and Naughtie provide
enough of that sort of entertainment for my morning.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 5th 03, 11:56 AM
W K

news
wrote:

Jim Naughtie seemed to be rather unsympathetic to the ABD's
"self-serving"
position

Even getting him to accept the need for speed cameras it would seem. Smith
is probably beating him with birch twigs as we type and read.

They should beat each other PS stated: "of course speed kills"

Old December 5th 03, 12:06 PM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Michael MacClancy wrote:
I think she landed her punches. Even if her method doesn't appeal to
everyone it will appeal to many.

Perhaps. But not of the audience of Today at 0645.

ian
Old December 5th 03, 12:33 PM
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy wrote:
I think she landed her punches. Even if her method doesn't appeal to
everyone it will appeal to many.

Perhaps. But not of the audience of Today at 0645.

What? You're the only one listening at that time?
;-)
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 5th 03, 01:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message

When she was reduced to ``Tell that to the family of...'' I
switched off. The ABD guy was talking the usual self-serving stuff
you'd expect, but he know how to present for the audience he had. Sure
to God campaigning charities realise the importance of presentation?

Precisely the same technique as used by Be-Hit. So no, they don't have a
clue in that department - they are handwringers. It would have been better
to get someone from the Slower Speeds Initiative, they at least know how to
rebut ABD's "lonely factoid" (c) Howard, as he

http://groups.google.com/groups?grou...f6ead.03120201
53.6ec58c96%40posting.google.com

--
Guy