Bracelets for Bike Lanes?

Old March 23rd 05, 12:42 AM
Frank Krygowski

Default Bracelets for Bike Lanes?

donquijote1954 wrote:

I ride my stationary bike for the time being. I'll be ready when things
get better out there.

You'll never ride, and your excuse won't fool us.
Old March 23rd 05, 01:39 AM
Claire Petersky

"maxo" wrote in message
news
wears his magic helmet on the back of his or her head like a styrofoam
yarmulke

FWIW, I have it on good rabbinic authority that one's bicycle helmet is
kosher as a yarmulke.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 23rd 05, 06:29 AM
maxo

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:39:11 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

, I have it on good rabbinic authority that one's bicycle helmet is
kosher as a yarmulke.

Wow, that's a random tidbit that made me smile.

For some reason that makes me recall the Jewish kids in my class when I
was a youngster that would have their favourite sports teams logos knitted
or embroidered into their yarmulkes--if that's kosher, then...wow! :P
Could you imagine somebody wearing a cross that said "Packers"? LOL

Old March 23rd 05, 02:02 PM
Pat Lamb

donquijote1954 wrote:
A stripe of paint provides the same protection a green light gives you
to cross an intersection in a vehicle. It gives you the weight of the
law, which is the best you can get in a society governed by laws.

When drivers can't or won't see half a square meter of brightly colored
fabric in bright sunlight to avoid a bicyclist, remind me how a 6"
diameter light is more visible?

Pat
Old March 23rd 05, 09:17 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"donquijote1954" writes:

I'd stop advocating bicycle lanes if there's a better way.

Your are not advocating anything. You're trying to provoke
other people into doing all the leg work for you, so you
could then enjoy the fruits of /their/ labours, ya lazy
b- ... person. Fortunately, your approach is ineffective
and self-destructing, and all you've accomplished is to
annoy a bunch of people around the world.

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 2nd 05, 06:49 PM
maxo

"maxo" wrote in message
news
wears his magic helmet on the back of his or her head like a styrofoam
yarmulke

FWIW, I have it on good rabbinic authority that one's bicycle helmet is
kosher as a yarmulke.

What are the yarmulke specs exactly? Is it simply suggested to cover the
rearward portion of the head? Then a teensy yarmulke, like the ones my
schoolmates used to wear, the size of tea saucers, are kind of like the
super carbon fiber high zoot versions--the least weight you can get away
with. LOL.

If I were Jewish and of the head covering persuasion, I'd hope that a nice
fedora or basque beret would be kosher.

Old April 2nd 05, 07:47 PM
Claire Petersky

news

"maxo" wrote in message
news
wears his magic helmet on the back of his or her head like a styrofoam
yarmulke

FWIW, I have it on good rabbinic authority that one's bicycle helmet is
kosher as a yarmulke.

What are the yarmulke specs exactly?

The wearing of kippot, or yarmulkes, is a matter of minhag, of custom,
rather than of Jewish law. It's a tradition that is relatively recent,
having only been developed in the middle ages. As a result, compared to some
other traditions, there's fewer rules about what qualifies. For example, in
some chassidic communities they wear a striemel, a fur hat, as a kippah. The
best discussion I could find on line is he
http://scheinerman.net/judaism/synagogue/objects2.html (scroll down to
Kippah (Yarmulke))

If I were Jewish and of the head covering persuasion, I'd hope that a nice
fedora or basque beret would be kosher.

There's someone in my synagogue who comes to services in western boots,
jeans, a black leather vest, a big belt buckle, and a stetson. Hey, it
works.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 2nd 05, 08:00 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

FWIW, I have it on good rabbinic authority that one's bicycle helmet is
kosher as a yarmulke.

Given that half the riders you see wear them as if they /were/ a
yarmulke this is not a surprise :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk