Troy's Excellent D.C. to Pittsburgh NBG Adventure

Old May 24th 05, 11:04 PM
Cycle America

Default Troy's Excellent D.C. to Pittsburgh NBG Adventure

Troy Bogdan, like what Nick Hein did for Morgantown, WV, poured his
heart and soul into his ride from Washington, DC to Pittsburgh. And just
as Nick's efforts continue to reward him with good fortune, it was the
tireless planning, that Troy began after he finished last year's ride
that produced so much of the magic you will see in the words ahead. The
goodwill that he and Nick are spreading for both themselves and the NBG
will bear fruit for many years to come as both of them go on to become
legendary figures in the world of of their own local cycling:

Final Report: D.C. to Pittsburgh (with links to amenities added)

Troy Bogdan, NBG Scout reporting from home on the D.C. to Pittsburgh leg
of
the 2005 Mayor's Ride.

What a wonderful trip we had!! Over 400 miles logged, New friends
(and/old), new places (and some we've seen before), new experiences;
that's what makes these Mayor's Rides so special. Yes, I have been home
less than a day, and already I look forward to next year's trip again.
We will probably change the route a little bit next year to explore new
things, but one thing remains the same, and that is, you get to meet
some of the greatest people in the world on the trails.

Note: Some of this you may have read in earlier posts, but new details
have been added. Previous posts also had forwarding arrows on the left
margin. The timeline is now in consecutive order and (hopefully) I've
corrected all mistakes and misspellings.

Day 1
Mayor's Office, District of Columbia - Friday the 13th of May, 2005 As
the bicyclists started to gather outside City Hall, the fellowship
started. Some new faces, some old, meeting and re-meeting, it was a
gathering of comrades, linked together by a common cause: Bicycling. We
all were in awe of finally meeting Concetta Curtis, the superstar biker
we read about. Here she was, riding her electric blue Bianchi bicycle;
the same bicycle that had carried her from Florida, and the one that
will take her all the way to California, and possibly beyond. It was an
honor and a privilege to finally meet her, and to be able to accompany
her for a portion of her trip.

At approx. 3:00 p.m. the ceremony at the Mayor's office started. Jim
Sebastian, Bike Coordinator for the District of Columbia, read the
proclamation from Mayor Anthony Williams, and then asked the bicyclists
say a few words about why they were doing this ride. Each spoke in
turn, and then there was a moment of applause, and then it was time to
say our farewells and hit the roads leading to the trails. Biking
through Washington D.C. is really a special treat. Surrounded by
monuments of history as we pedal our bicycles, we realize that we are
creating our own history, by forging new paths to the future, yet
following the same exact path of those who came before us. Whether by
bicycle, horse, canal boat or hiking boots, the feeling of awe is
appropriate when thinking about the history of this region, and that
feeling surrounds you, because you are not enclosed in a car or train or
bus. You are a part of your surroundings, and
that feeling goes with you the entire way.

Our trail experience started at Mile Zero on the C&O Canal. This is
also known as "Watergate" (yes, the hotel was named after it) because
this is the place where the canal meets the Potomac River, and believe
it or not, the old wooden, rotting, frame of the original water gate
still stands in the water, a testament to the craftsmanship of the
canal. From here, we enter Georgetown, and follow the towpath through
city and town and eventually wilderness towards our destinations.

Nick, Pete and myself (Troy) left D.C. on Friday at 4:00, did an
optional side trip of 14 miles on the Capitol Crescent Trail, and then
back on the C&O towpath to Swains Lock Camp. Luckily for us, some other
campers were having a celebration, and sang campfire songs (with guitar)
well into the night ;-)

Day 2

In the morning, Nick and I explored the Great Falls Tavern visitor's
center, and also biked up to and walked the "Gold Mine Trail," which has
interesting relics and old buildings that were used in the gold mining
industry. We let Pete sleep in for some much needed rest.

Continued Saturday towards Harper's Ferry on the towpath, where we
finally found Concetta (who stayed with a friend in D.C. after the
Ceremony). She biked 90ish miles to catch up with us in the rain,
thunder and lightning. We changed our camping plans for the night, due
to weather conditions, left the
trail, crossed the bridge into town, and the four of us stayed in a
historic hotel in Harper's Ferry, called "Historic Hilltop House". They
had a garage for visitors to keep bicycles in!! We were supposed to get
a free continental breakfast, and a hiker/biker discount, but it turns
out they were a little unorganized the day we stayed because of some
conferences, and things could have been better, but for us, it was o.k,
and they were the only place in town that had a vacancy, so we paid a
little more than we should have. Online at:
http://www.hilltophousehotel.net/

Day 3

Today (Sunday) we head to Hancock Md. for the night.

On the way to Hancock, we stopped at Barron's Hiker Biker Store, a local
fixture since the canal first started having hiker/bikers, and where the
prices are still the way they were back in 1959 ;-) What a great place
this is, run by Mr. & Mrs. Barron on weekends only, you have to stop
here just to get a sense of the living history that this couple has
seen. I wish them many more continued years of being able to serve our
hunger for both nourishment and companionship.

Just before Fort Frederick State Park we split up from one big group
into individual travelers. Nick (slightly before me) and I jumped onto
the paved Western Maryland Rail trail to Hancock. Concetta found the
pavement a little farther up the towpath, and poor Pete, had a problem
with his bike that held him up for a while. He finally met up with us
in Hancock in the dark, but he made it!! We checked into the C&O
(CanDo) Bike Shop's Bunkhouse (
http://www.candobicycle.com/bunkhouse.htm ) for the night, and
met the new owner Dennis Hudson and his family. George, Pamela and their
son Chauncey (the original proprietors of this fine establishment, who
took care of us last year, are retiring and going on the road in their
new motor home (Named "CanDo"). We were able to see them before they
hit the road, because they knew we were coming, and stuck around a few
more days so they could greet us and have dinner with us (At Little
Sandy's truck stop) before they left town. By the way, the C&O Bike
Shop charged us the "Group Rate." Bunk and showers were $10 each,
instead of $15. Thanks to Dennis for his help with our bikes also.

Will motor on towards Cumberland and eventually Pittsburgh. More Later
as I find internet access along the way.

Day 4

Hello Again from the trail . . .

Oh my mind is starting to get tired, as is my body, trying to keep up
with Concetta!! I hope I get all this right from my tired old memory.

After leaving Hancock, we rode to Bill's Place, a bar/store in Little
Orleans, MD along the C&O Canal. It was there that we met the Mayor,
Bill himself, and after eating his food and nourishing our bodies with
his liquid refreshment, we found a new member to join our team. Dennis
Caffrey, a Firefighter from Washington, PA joined our Mayor's Ride team,
and would ride with us the next 2 days.

Dennis had read about the Mayor's ride in an e-mail that Troy had posted
on the Great Allegheny Passage Yahoo Group, and decided to join us in
route. He started in Washington D.C., as did we, and was trying to catch
up with our group. When Pete broke down the night before on the trail,
it was then that he realized he had caught up with at least one member
of the Mayor's Ride group, and knew where to find us the next day.

As a group, we rode through the historic and marvelous Paw Paw tunnel,
and then camped near the forks of the Potomac river and just outside of
Oldtown MD, (an old Frontier town that was a popular rest stop for
George Washington in the olden days).

Day 5

After waking up to a flat tire on my bike, we fixed it quickly as a
team, and the toured the old Cresap House (Circa. 1700's) in Oldtown.
Nick and Peter motored on, but Dennis, Concetta and myself found some
breakfast in Oldtown, at the old Oldtown School. There is a diner set
up in the school's former cafeteria, and we found the food to be good,
reasonably priced, and best of all, the locals were all friendly and
freely offered good trail advice and tips. Plus, they sell postcards
and a few other small souvenirs, and they have a museum of sorts on the
town's history.

From Oldtown, we continued on our way to Cumberland, and to the historic
Train Station they now call "Canal Place". This is where Pete left the
group, to go home and attend his Senior prom. Nick's wife, Sue, was
waiting for us, and after a few photo opps., and exchanging good-byes,
she drove Pete back to Morgantown.

Afterwards, we went into a cool bike shop recently built at the end of
the trail. The name is Hites Bikes, ( http://www.hitesbikes.com ) and
we were very impressed with the place. In addition to repairs, parts,
clothing and bike trinkets, they offer showers, shuttle services and
advice. After having two flats on this trip, I decided to get a new
rear tire, and Concetta got a much needed spoke job. The prices were
extremely reasonable.

Since the C&O trail ends in Cumberland, and the new trail is still being
constructed towards Frostburg, we needed to ride on roads for approx. 30
miles.

The bike shop owner (Gary) offered to shuttle our heavy gear (and
Dennis' SUV) to Meyersdale, PA (our destination for the night) and we
agreed to go light. We were also given a shortcut tip that (we were
told) would allow us to get back on the trails sooner than later, and
have less roads to travel. Well, as a group we started riding on the
roads. We got to where the shortcut was, and found out it was complete
railroad ballast that would not be good for some of our smaller bike
tires (Like Concetta's and Nick's recumbant-bike), so we decided to
split up the group. Dennis took the rough train-trail, and the rest of
us stayed on roads. Well, to make a long story short, we all had thought
we had a better idea than the next, so we all went our different ways
and figured we'd find out who's route was best.

Somehow each of us found the town of Frostburg, MD (where the trail is
finished and open) separately, and eventually met as a group just short
of the PA line on the trail on Mt. Savage. Dennis had the most direct
route, and was first to arrive, Troy second, Nick third, and Concetta
caught up last.

From what everyone told us, and confirmed by the owner at Hites Bikes,
we all had thought the rest of the trail would be finished enough to get
us through to Meyersdale, PA.

Well, we kept going, but the trail did not. It was the roughest section
of trail most of us had ever ridden on. Nick got off and rode the road,
while the three of us all soldiered on through a trail that was at best,
barely passable. After a short contemplation about taking the road,
Dennis quickly decided to stay on the trail, and sped on like a Baja
Racer in the dessert. Concetta and I went on the road, but quickly
turned around after we saw how easy it looked for Dennis. It wasn't
easy for much longer though, the trail soon turned from easy into
horrendous. Like turtles on an obstacle course, Concetta and I
continued along an unfinished trail with huge rock ballast, construction
equipment blocking the route and whole bridges missing, but we finally
made it and when we finally reached a section that was mostly finished,
sailed over the Keystone Viaduct and into Meyersdale right next to the
train station.

As it happened, Nick was first to Meyersdale, Dennis second and
Concetta and Troy brought up the rear. To our amazement, there was a
note waiting for us on the train station bulletin board, from the
president of the Meyersdale Historical Society, Dennis "Coach" Stahl,
and his wife Penny, offering us free lodging for the night. That was
the perfect ending to a very hard day. Unfortunately though, Dennis the
Firefighter had to go home, so just three of us stayed the night.

By the way, we ate dinner at a nice restaurant in Meyersdale called
"Main Street Inn," and in addition to having the best and hottest plate
of pasta I have ever had (my great meal included excellent garlic bread
and salad with veggies), they also offer lodging to us biker/hikers
coming in from the trail. Here is their info:
http://www.mainstreetinnandrestaurant.com

What wonderful people Mr. & Mrs. Stahl turned out to be. They were the
nicest hosts that one could ever imagine for. It was truly an honor and
a privilege to be able to meet and get to know them. We cannot thank
them enough, and look forward to seeing them on our next trip to
Meyersdale, so they can give us a tour of the train station.

Day 6

The next Morning (today), Nick bolted off early to ride to Morgantown,
and Concetta and I had a nice slow day and made it to Confluence (Lucky
Dog Cafe) where I am now writing this e-mail.

Before arriving in Confluence, Concetta and I stopped in a town called
Rockwood, and had an excellent lunch at the Rockwood Mill Shoppes and
Opera House. Coffee, ice cream, pizza, souvenirs and antiques, not to
mention performing arts in the evenings can all be found under one roof.
Worth the short detour off the trail to see.
http://www.rockwoodmillshoppes.com

The Lucky Dog Cafe is also worth mentioning, since they have been very
helpful to the Mayor's ride the last two year's. Erica and her staff
are always eager to help and the internet connection, weather channel,
and all the great food and drink offerings, make this trailside service
unique.

We camped in the State owned, Yough Dam overflow campground. The hiker
biker "pre-season" rate was $3 each. Last year it was $6 during the
"main" season, but one difference is, in pre-season, the showers are not
yet turned on. We missed a shower by one day, since it was almost
opening weekend. Oh well, at least we saved three dollars ;-)

Breakfast was at "Sister's Cafe," another great place fairly close to
the trail. The portions were huge, the prices were good, and they also
have lots of maps and travel guides. BTW, they claim that Lance
Armstrong stops in for chili and fish sandwiches, whenever he is biking
the "Great Allegheny Passage."

Looking forward to one more night of camping in the Pennsylvania
wilderness (Round Bottom Campground along the Yough River), and then on
to Pittsburgh for Friday night, and eventually Saturday's Mayoral
ceremony. More later, probably from home, as I complete this leg of the
ride, and Concetta will move on to the next city, Columbus.

More if possible, Sincerely, Troy

Day 7

Biking from Yough Dam, we stopped at Ohio Pyle (Ohiopyle) for lunch.
The train station/visitor's center as open, and provides nice big,
clean restrooms, and all the travel guides and maps that you could ever
fit into your panniers.

Continuing along, we also stopped in Connellsville at Bikes Unlimited
(also along the trail/bikepath right in town). They had great advice,
and sold cool trail t-shirts. Here is the web page:
http://www.bikesunlimited.biz

Troy's final update from the trail:

After an rainy night at the Round Bottom Campground along the Yough
river (somewhere in-between Connellsville and West Newton), Concetta and
I dried off and hit the trail for the final day of travel from
Washington D.C. to Pittsburgh. We stopped for a hearty brunch in West
Newton, visited Korber's bicycle shop (right next to the trail), and
also visited the office of the local trail council. Then continued along
the river to the City of Mckeesport, where donning our bike helmets, met
the Monongahela river and the roads that connected us on our way to
Pittsburgh, passing Kennywood Amusement Park, The Waterfront in
Homestead, Sandcastle Water Park and finally back onto trails that led
us into the city of Pittsburgh and to the tourist area known as Station
Square, a former train station that has been converted into one of
Pittsburgh's hottest areas for food, shopping and entertainment. That is
where we met back up with Dennis Caffrey, the bicyclist who had
accompanied us from Washington D.C. to Meyersdale, PA. Dennis shuttled
bikes and gear to his Mt. Washington home (cliffside overlooking
Pittsburgh) and Concetta and I rode the incline up the hill and set up
our Victory Headquarters at Dennis' home. Dinner was held at Buca Di
Beppo's Southside Italian Restaurant, where we were joined by Nick Hein
and his entourage of bicyclists from Morgantown, and also Troy's wife
Sharon.

Day 8
Saturday morning: We toured the city bike trails around Pittsburgh
(including Herr's Island) and eventually made their way to the Eliza
Furnace (Jail Trail) trail, where met up with a number of other
bicyclists from around the city to celebrate "National Bicycle Greenway"
day in Pittsburgh (See Press Release below). We rode from the trail
through the city, and eventually met on the North Shore (Near Heinz
Field) for the noon-time presentation by Mayor Tom Murphy, proclaiming
it "National Bicycle Greenway Day" in Pittsburgh. This proclamation took
place during the Venture Outdoors festival, which was celebrating
outdoor activities and groups.

Press Release: WELCOME THEM TO PITTSBURGH

Four bicyclists with the National Bicycle Greenway project, including
Troy Bogdan of Bridgeville, PA, Dennis Caffrey of Washington, PA, Nick
Hein from Morgantown, WV, Concetta Curtis from Katy, TX, are traveling
from Washington D.C. to Pittsburgh to help promote an interconnected
system of trails and bike-friendly roads across the country. There are
also three bicyclist arriving from Morgantown, West Virginia. They are
scheduled to arrive at 12:00 noon, Saturday May 21st, at the Venture
Outdoors Festival on the North Shore.

The riders have invited local bicyclists to join them at 11:00 a.m. at
the Greenfield Trailhead of the Eliza Furnace Trail for the bicycle ride
into town. A police bicycle escort will accompany the parade of
bicyclists from the trail to the North Shore, where they will be greeted
by Mayor Tom Murphy, and who will also read a proclamation declaring it
"National Bicycle Greenway" day.

For more information, call the Venture Outdoors at 412-255-0564 or go to
www.bikeroute.com and click on the Mayor's Ride logo.

In conclusion, I wish to thank Martin Krieg of the National Bicycle
Greenway, for without his vision, there would be no Mayor's Ride, and no
story to tell. Concetta for her cause, determination, and friendship!!
Also to my wife, Sharon, for allowing me to make her a "single-mom for a
week," while I shuck my responsibilities and "explore myself" one more
time.

Secondly, I wish to thank all my riding companions and those who we met
along the trail, for making the experience real. "Coach" Stahl and
Penny, THANKS for you generosity and kindness!!

Lastly, thanks to our sponsors, Martin and the NBG, Phil at City Bikes (
http://citybikes.com ), Washington D.C., Jim Sebastian (D.C. Mayor's
Office), Venture Outdoors (Michael and Maggie and all the others), The
Mayor's Office of Pittsburgh (THANKS so much Ro!!! and to Mayor Tom),
David at Bike Pgh., and all the other friendly bikers who came down to
support us, The Morgantown Entourage (especially Rich, and Jonathan),
Roy Weil, Ed Bortz of the Green Party, "Bike Maven/Judes", and all the
others I am forgetting by name, but remember their smiling faces!

One final word of thanks to Bill (and Pam) Metzger of Confluence!! I
hope you have some better days ahead Bill, and I am here if you ever
need, and I am able to provide, my help to you (Just call or e-mail). I
admire what you have done, and are continuing to do, and you've got the
best trail maps anywhere!!! Looking forward to the next book!!!

See you out on the trails, and hopefully again for each and every next
Mayor's ride!!!!

Sincerely and Organically Yours, Troy Bogdan, Bridgeville, PA

One final Note: Available now at most bike shops and some trail-side
shops, is the "Trail Book 2005 (Gotta Have It), which links trail users
and businesses along the Great Allegheny Passage. The price is $6, and
includes a nice Tyvek Map (Bill Metzger Designed) of the route from
Cumberland to Pittsburgh, including the Montour Trail. I highly
recommend it (Even though they printed my photo of the Lucky Dog Cafe
without giving me a photo credit - hint, hint)!!! You can also order
them by mail or e-mail:

$6 + $2 for shipping
Fieldstone Press
522 Handwerk Road
Markelton, PA 15551

Or online at the Allegheny Trail Alliance website:
www.atatrail.org

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y