2004 Burley Taiko or Canto

Old May 6th 04, 12:08 PM
JS

Default 2004 Burley Taiko or Canto

Any feedback from users appreciated of either bike.

Thanks,

John in finally warming NH
Old May 7th 04, 08:09 PM
Gene Cosloy

JS wrote in message . ..
Any feedback from users appreciated of either bike.

Thanks,

John in finally warming NH

Hi John,

I have had a 2002 Taiko with upgraded 2003 seat webbing and have
ridden close to 3600 miles. Mostly commuting to my retail store in all
kinds of seasons. While I initially bought the bike for it's LWB
configuration , I found I liked the more responsive handling and slow
speed stability on hills of SWB mode, more to my liking. The new 2004
Taiko has disc brakes and lighter wheels, so I cannot comment on it.
The Canto is similar to my bike except I have better components. I
love the thumb shifters. This is a very comfortable bike, after you
get the seat and layback dialed in to suit you. The ratio between the
BB height and seat height is just about neutral and is what I like
best about Burley. Pedals high enough to exert torque but not so high
as to induce foot numbness or fear of riding in traffic. The passive
suspension system on this bike is fantastic. Most other SWB bikes
cause the rider to suffer a lot of harshness transmitted up the
backside from an overly stiff frame. If your looking for a trouble
free workhorse pick the Canto. The Taiko offers the promise of a
little more performance plus better components. Personally I like the
heavier wheels for commuting. Friday night at rush hour I'm
occassionally forced to decend the occassional pot hole or so to avoid
being swipped by a gas guzzling SUV. The 2004 Taiko with the lighter
wheels might not be as trouble free. Oh yes get the speed struts,
whichever bike you choose.

Good luck,
Gene
Old August 14th 04, 12:41 AM
DiscGolfer

JS Wrote:
Any feedback from users appreciated of either bike.

Thanks,

John in finally warming NH

I just bought a 2003 Canto with the 2004 Taiko seat and speed struts.
It's a great ride. Beautiflully crafted and eye-catching. First ride
out I had a group of kids swarm around while stopped and all wanted to
know where they could get a bike like it.

I like the Silver of the 2003 over the charcoal color of the 2004 and I
saved a little $$ buying last years model.

I hope to add a rear rack and underseat rack (from TerraCycle in
Portland, OR) I'll be touring across Oregon next summer and this will
be my ride.

I heartily recommend the Canto.

Tim

--
DiscGolfer

Old August 17th 04, 12:21 AM
Dom

John. Canto owner since 2002 and would highly recommend it. I also
live here in NH. Great on the hills. Need to spin in the granny on the
really steep ones but have never been stuck. Definitely get the speed
struts. I've had no prblems with the SRAM twist shifters. First time
I've used them and like them. Good luck and if you are in the Nashua
area and looking for someone to ride with send me an email. Dom.