Close Call...

Old August 6th 05, 10:02 PM
Dana

Default Close Call...

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, researching bents. My bod will no
longer tolerate a DF and a few weeks ago bought an '03 Burley HepCat at
my LBS.

Even though I've done many years of long distance cycling, the bent is
like learning to ride all over again. No question though; it is
comfortable and fun!

Today while riding through a small town with light traffic, an SUV came
from behind (didn't hear or see it in mirror) and made a right turn as
though I wasn't there!

I was only aware of the hard braking (no screech) and the right front
fender about 1' from my left shoulder, which prompted a very loud yell
from me.

I don't know if the driver was on the phone, putting on mascara,
shaving, reading the paper or adjusting the radio.

Clearly, the driver didn't see me until the last second.

Very scary.

Old August 6th 05, 11:19 PM
Leif

Glad you're ok, Dana.

I'm reminded of the time I was going pretty fast downhill on my SMGT.
I noticed a truck parked on the shoulder at the bottom, wheels turned
toward the road. "I wonder if he's gonna pull out w/o looking" I
thought. Sure enough, he did. My awareness is what saved me from
becoming road kill. In fact, I was able to make a controlled slide
right up to the driver's side door where I wished him a nice day.

Be safe!
-Leif

Old August 11th 05, 06:51 PM
bentbrian

Dana,

That same thing probably would have happened even if you were on you
DF. All bicycles seem to be invisible. However, generally I'm treate
far better by traffic on the 'bent as opposed to being on the DF. Mak
yourself as visible as best you can. I fly a flag about SUV driver ey
height

--
bentbrian

Old August 11th 05, 08:16 PM
Jeff Grippe

Also, since I ride a trike, I ride in the middle of the lane when I'm riding
in traffic. I don't want cars thinking that they can get around me in the
lane I'm in. This is probably a good strategy to use on two wheels as well
when there is a lot of traffic. A few drivers get annoyed but better visible
and safe.

Jeff

"bentbrian" wrote in
message ...

Dana,

That same thing probably would have happened even if you were on your
DF. All bicycles seem to be invisible. However, generally I'm treated
far better by traffic on the 'bent as opposed to being on the DF. Make
yourself as visible as best you can. I fly a flag about SUV driver eye
height.

--
bentbrian

Old August 12th 05, 01:42 AM
Slugger

In article , Jeff Grippe
wrote:

[...]

I totally agree Jeff. Take a lane if you need a lane. I go as fast as
everyone else downtown and in many cases faster. I can't bring myself
to muss up my bike with an orange contruction flag so I'm extra
vigilant. I'm always looking over my shoulder.

Remember the bike lane is only the bike lane until you are going to
pass someone. Its far safer to pass someone on the left side of the car
than on the right side where the car could declare a turn without
stopping too much. I've learned my lesson more than once. Thats when
the center of the road is best.
Old August 13th 05, 01:12 AM
Dana

Good points to be sure.

I'm generally watchful and generally own more of the road to keep
drivers from squeezing past and doing stupid things.

Last night there was a car going in the same direction making a left
turn. I could see a car coming up from behind and feared he'd try to
squeeze between the left turning car and me. So I moved left and
closed the gap.

At some point I'm going to return to the scene of the prior close call.
The side street where the driver was turning could have been a Y
intersection. If so, I should have been more to the left to make the
driver wait.

I got an 18" red LED traffic baton that blinks; great for dusk/night
but useless in daytime.

But then again, it's the oblivious driver that's of major concern. No
amount of lights, strobes or flags could make them see. Add cell
phones and you've got real trouble.

Dana

Old August 18th 05, 05:44 AM
Edward Dolan

"Slugger" wrote in message
[...]
I totally agree Jeff. Take a lane if you need a lane. I go as fast as
everyone else downtown and in many cases faster. I can't bring myself
to muss up my bike with an orange contruction flag so I'm extra
vigilant. I'm always looking over my shoulder.

Remember the bike lane is only the bike lane until you are going to
pass someone. Its far safer to pass someone on the left side of the car
than on the right side where the car could declare a turn without
stopping too much. I've learned my lesson more than once. Thats when
the center of the road is best.

Slugger, I know what you are saying but still I believe you are better off
staying as far to the right as you can get. You do not want to ever get hit
or swiped by a motor vehicle. What I like to do is to stay in the center of
the roadway and then to gradually pull to the right as the vehicle
approaches. In the final analysis I want to be able to take to the ditch if
and when it is required to avoid a hit.

The downside to my way is that you have to constantly be looking in your
rear view mirror to see what is approaching you and how close they are. It
is now second nature for me to do this, but I have seen many recumbent
cyclists who do not have rear view mirrors. This is total insanity in my
opinion. You always need to see what is approaching you from the rear.

Why are you looking over your shoulder? You need rear view mirrors either
attached to your helmet, to your glasses or your bike.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

FORGET THE IPOD IRIVER OR RIO MP3 MP4 PLAYER. THE TCG DIVAS WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE M500 PORTABLE DIGITAL MEDIA CENTER CALL 504 914 9965 RIGHT NOW techcom General 1 July 7th 05 08:06 PM
Marty Wallace phone # 618-973-2316 but you won't get him when you call [email protected] General 0 January 22nd 05 03:20 AM
close call for me today Brink General 5 October 13th 03 04:57 PM
What do you call out when you come up behind pedestrians? saki General 32 September 14th 03 04:38 AM