if cycling could be

Old April 21st 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Default if cycling could be

"Len" enscribed:

Choice of vehicle has to be relevant here. A cage has to occupy the
entire 255 cm (10 feet less the 50 cm on the right). But if the cagers
are to respect the 50 cm lane on the right, we have to respect the 255
cm lane on the left. This means that we should not force them to
"share the road" when we pass them on the right, then force them to
drive behind us, when we're in front, "taking the lane".

The city streets I ride on are wide enough except for things like construction or police restrictions. Those are situations where cars are supposed to be slowed down anyway. The other time I move left is because a car door width away from parked cars; the problem originates with car drivers who swing open doors without looking. Cars parked illegally in a bicycle lane don't help either. If your city can't get its act together to widen the roads, get a new city council.

An extreme example of conflict here is the "bike bus". Bicyclists in
San Francisco came up with the concept that a mass of bicyclists

Critical mass is civil disobedience. It's people deliberately breaking the law to invite police overreaction.

Consistency = courtesy = less conflict.

I don't care about conflict. If the street is improperly designed, I have to take precautions to make it safer. If cars don't like that, let them complain traffic engineers.

As much as we would like, the cagers won't drive 20 mph forever. They
WILL find a way around. If they have to take chances when getting

I like that. They tend to run into barriers or **** off other drivers when they do that.

--
Feh. Mad as heck.