Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

Old January 10th 11, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

On Jan 9, 6:11*pm, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Frank would say ride far enough out in the lane that the
drivers are discouraged from passing you then turning across your
path. *(That's a left hook in Oz, a right hook in the US.).

Doesn't work. *We've had cars do it even while we're riding two abreast
and certainly not skulking down the gutter. *Even a bunch of a dozen
riders, riding two abreast.

I'm sure it's not perfect. I once had a motorist try a right hook
when I was lane center in a narrow lane. He backed down when I looked
him in the eye and yelled. But, as usual, what can I say? I've never
been right hooked. It works for me.

They often get along side then brake, indicate and turn. *Completely in
the wrong order, but it's happened on numerous occasions.

"Danger! Danger!" indeed! Were those "numerous occasions" when you
were controlling the lane? Because you've certainly written enough
about _not_ controlling the lane.

As I said, still happens while two abreast and not anything like gutter
skulking. *Being ever suspicious of the drivers intentions is the key.

You do need to be alert. It's not difficult. Knowing a few things
about how to ride, and what to watch for, make it even easier.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't learn about these
situations ahead of time. *As with golf, baseball, swimming,
backpacking, etc. you're better off reading and/or getting coaching,
rather than trying to figure things out on your own, on the fly.
There is much to learn, even though many cyclists think they are born
knowing everything about how to ride.

If cyclists are required to have special ninja skills to survive, it
must be because drivers are incompetent.

You don't need "ninja skills." Hell, I know 60+ year old housewives
that have ridden safely for transportation and long-distance touring
for decades. Why can't you learn what they know?

*Cyclists should not need
special supernatural mind reading skills ...

Nobody's mentioned those.

...or read special books written
to educate them on how to ride in relative safety.

Are there other road users who should not learn anything before they
use the roads?

*The root cause is
motorists incompetence, and anything else is a bandaid.

OK, if your position is that cyclists shouldn't learn anything and
motorists must be made competent, what are YOU doing to make things
right? And how long do you think it will take?

In any case, your strategy doesn't seem to be working for you, based
on your crash record and stated fears. Based on my lack of crashes
and lack of fear, my strategy is working for me.

I did read a cycling book a long time ago. *It was called "Tackle cycle
sport this way", or similar.

I'm not talking about sport, training, racing, or any of that. I'm
talking about competence on the road. Being fast isn't the same as
being competent in traffic.

I've certainly seen enough racers who were tough but incompetent.
Like I've said, I've seen one (actually, an ex-racer) ride the fog
line of a narrow lane, hoping a truck wouldn't pass instead of taking
the lane. I watched another make a left turn (in the US) by crossing
to ride against traffic before turning. I knew another (a female) who
tried the same trick on a four lane road, and got hit head on by a
motorist pulling out of a parking lot.

*I've also watched some of your Vehicular
Cycling online promotional videos, which appear to have been filmed in
some Utopian environment.

Look: Buy _Cyclecraft_ by John Franklin. What can it hurt? It costs
less than a new cassette. It's got lots of good, practical advice, and
you're bound to learn something. You don't have to memorize the whole
thing, but you really should learn more about handling yourself and
surrounding motorists in traffic.

Educating yourself will work a lot faster than trying to educate every
motorist you encounter. You can work on the motorists later.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 10th 11, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 9, 6:11 pm, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Frank would say ride far enough out in the lane that the
drivers are discouraged from passing you then turning across your
path. (That's a left hook in Oz, a right hook in the US.).

Doesn't work. We've had cars do it even while we're riding two abreast
and certainly not skulking down the gutter. Even a bunch of a dozen
riders, riding two abreast.

I'm sure it's not perfect. I once had a motorist try a right hook
when I was lane center in a narrow lane. He backed down when I looked
him in the eye and yelled. But, as usual, what can I say? I've never
been right hooked. It works for me.

I've never actually collided or had to go around the corner with a
vehicle in this situation either, but I've had to take evasive action as
previously noted, and I agree that a yell often has the desired effect
of making them stop before it's too late, and is far more useful than
the obligatory bicycle bell - ding ding.

They often get along side then brake, indicate and turn. Completely in
the wrong order, but it's happened on numerous occasions.

"Danger! Danger!" indeed! Were those "numerous occasions" when you
were controlling the lane? Because you've certainly written enough
about _not_ controlling the lane.

It has happened when I'm alone or with others numerous times. Whether
or not I was "controlling" the lane or not while I was alone, I can't
remember every time. But I recall a few incidence lately where there
were two or more of us, and certainly we were quite visible using half
the lane at least.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't learn about these
situations ahead of time. As with golf, baseball, swimming,
backpacking, etc. you're better off reading and/or getting coaching,
rather than trying to figure things out on your own, on the fly.
There is much to learn, even though many cyclists think they are born
knowing everything about how to ride.

If cyclists are required to have special ninja skills to survive, it
must be because drivers are incompetent.

You don't need "ninja skills." Hell, I know 60+ year old housewives
that have ridden safely for transportation and long-distance touring
for decades. Why can't you learn what they know?

To "learn about these situations ahead of time" one would need some kind
of clairvoyance, i.e. supernatural or ninja like ability.

No, we are not all mind readers like your super nannies. Us mere
mortals must rely on observing how a driver is acting to guess what
their next move might be. It doesn't always work, but it's very useful.

My point being the same. The root cause of needing special training,
books and ESP is to make up for the incompetence of motorists.

Cyclists should not need
special supernatural mind reading skills ...

Nobody's mentioned those.

You implied them by suggesting we learn about situations ahead of time.

...or read special books written
to educate them on how to ride in relative safety.

Are there other road users who should not learn anything before they
use the roads?

Most cyclists know the road laws, unless they're not old enough to
drive, in which case they should be taught the road laws before riding
on the road. Why should cyclists be any different? Parents at least
should ensure their children know the laws well enough to be competent
before letting them loose on the road.

The root cause is
motorists incompetence, and anything else is a bandaid.

OK, if your position is that cyclists shouldn't learn anything and
motorists must be made competent, what are YOU doing to make things
right? And how long do you think it will take?

No, cyclists and motorists should obey the road laws. Unfortunately for
the cyclists, it's when the motorists fail to obey the law that the
cyclists are put in danger, not the other way around.

I've written several letters to our state minister for transport
expressing my opinions on their poor road design, police and motorists
who don't know the road laws and motorists who fail to obey them, etc.

All I get are fluffy responses. No doubt they will soon respond with
statistics to show how safe cycling is!

In any case, your strategy doesn't seem to be working for you, based
on your crash record and stated fears. Based on my lack of crashes
and lack of fear, my strategy is working for me.

As already noted - different environment and speed.

[...]

Thanks for the advice.

JS.
Old January 10th 11, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 10, 12:24*am, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

* They often get along side then brake, indicate and turn. *Completely in

the wrong order, but it's happened on numerous occasions.

"Danger! Danger!" indeed! *Were those "numerous occasions" when you
were controlling the lane? *Because you've certainly written enough
about _not_ controlling the lane.

It has happened when I'm alone or with others numerous times. *Whether
or not I was "controlling" the lane or not while I was alone, I can't
remember every time. *But I recall a few incidence lately where there
were two or more of us, and certainly we were quite visible using half
the lane at least.

For (U.S.) right hooks or (Oz) left hooks, it's not just about being
visible. It's about being in the way. Your road position needs to
tell the guy that he must wait until you're past the intersection
before turns; that he must turn behind you, not in front of you.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't learn about these
situations ahead of time. *As with golf, baseball, swimming,
backpacking, etc. you're better off reading and/or getting coaching,
rather than trying to figure things out on your own, on the fly.
There is much to learn, even though many cyclists think they are born
knowing everything about how to ride.
If cyclists are required to have special ninja skills to survive, it
must be because drivers are incompetent.

You don't need "ninja skills." *Hell, I know 60+ year old housewives
that have ridden safely for transportation and long-distance touring
for decades. *Why can't you learn what they know?

To "learn about these situations ahead of time" one would need some kind
of clairvoyance, i.e. supernatural or ninja like ability.

Absolutely not. You misunderstand. The women I mention are not
ninjas. They are just knowledgeable. (And BTW, I don't intend
"housewife" to be a demeaning term.)

Look: When teaching a 6 year old to walk to school, you teach them to
look both ways before crossing. If the crossing is to be at an
intersection, you teach them to check for turning cars as well, even
if they have a green "Walk" signal. There's no clairvoyance involved;
there's just being aware of possible motorist mistakes. The same
works for cycling.

The fact that you don't understand this merely confirms that you
really, really do need to learn more.

_Cyclecraft_ by John Franklin. Buy the book. What can it hurt?

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 10th 11, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jan 10, 4:53*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 10, 12:24*am, James wrote:

It has happened when I'm alone or with others numerous times. *Whether
or not I was "controlling" the lane or not while I was alone, I can't
remember every time. *But I recall a few incidence lately where there
were two or more of us, and certainly we were quite visible using half
the lane at least.

For (U.S.) right hooks or (Oz) left hooks, it's not just about being
visible. *It's about being in the way. *Your road position needs to
tell the guy that he must wait until you're past the intersection
before turns; that he must turn behind you, not in front of you.

You cannot be much more in the way than in the centre of the lane,
which is where half the bunch tends to be while riding two abreast.

To "learn about these situations ahead of time" one would need some kind
of clairvoyance, i.e. supernatural or ninja like ability.

Absolutely not. *You misunderstand. *The women I mention are not
ninjas. *They are just knowledgeable. *(And BTW, I don't intend
"housewife" to be a demeaning term.)

Look: When teaching a 6 year old to walk to school, you teach them to
look both ways before crossing. *If the crossing is to be at an
intersection, you teach them to check for turning cars as well, even
if they have a green "Walk" signal. *There's no clairvoyance involved;
there's just being aware of possible motorist mistakes. *The same
works for cycling.

Frank, go back and read some of my posts. I've often said things like
"don't expect them to give way until they've shown they are going
too." That's all part of being aware of motorists possible mistakes.
I've even posted links to websites like this http://bicyclesafe.com/
and http://yieldtolife.org/tips/cyclists . I've posted about riding
defensively too, including always having an escape route planned.

If anything you're agreeing with me!

The fact that you don't understand this merely confirms that you
really, really do need to learn more.

The fact that you have not yet realised that I promote defensive
cycling means your memory and/or comprehension is lacking.

JS.
Old January 10th 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 10, 12:24*am, James wrote:
[...]

I will agree with you that a cyclist should anticipate potential
motorist errors, among other things. But look at your admitted crash
record. Look at your belief that Franklin's book teaches
"clairvoyance, i.e. supernatural or ninja like ability." Based on
those, you've got a lot to learn.

The book costs only about $30 U.S. What's the problem?

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 10th 11, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jan 10, 12:24 am, James wrote:
[...]

Good!

But look at your admitted crash record.

Probably not that different from someone like Jobst, after reading about
his broken bones recently, yet you don't tell him to read this book or
that he must learn how to ride. Or is that because you say I am
whining? Really, if saying the road is a dangerous place, that
motorists are incompetent, etc. is whining, you have a very screwed
perception.

Actually, what is my "admitted crash record"?

I recall two accidents in over the past 10 years, both more than 7 years
ago.

I've spoken about lots of near misses where I've avoided motorists
failure to give way, and close passes that **** me off.

I said that when I installed my own dynamo powered headlight that the
frequency of near misses dropped dramatically, which was just last year.

Your recollection of my "crash record" must have grown somehow. Reading
with your optical amplifiers again?

Look at your belief that Franklin's book teaches
"clairvoyance, i.e. supernatural or ninja like ability." Based on
those, you've got a lot to learn.

Hey Frank, you put mind reading up as a required cyclists skill,
remember? You said "Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't learn
about these situations ahead of time." Not me.

I agree that being able to read traffic behavior and guess at their
intentions is very important, and I consider I do this well. Passengers
in my car and cyclists I ride with will attest to this, I am certain.

The book costs only about $30 U.S. What's the problem?

I can read it on line. $30 USD would be a waste of money!

JS.
Old January 11th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/10/2011 3:04 PM, James Steward wrote:
[...]
Probably not that different from someone like Jobst, after reading about
his broken bones recently, yet you don't tell him to read this book or
that he must learn how to ride. Or is that because you say I am
whining? Really, if saying the road is a dangerous place, that
motorists are incompetent, etc. is whining, you have a very screwed
perception.[...]

Jobst Brandt's accidents have occurred in what is likely 1x10^6 or more
miles of cycling.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 11th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
James considered Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:33:05
+1100 the perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee wrote:
James considered Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:47:44
+1100 the perfect time to write:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 6, 4:23 pm, James wrote:
I have never hit my head in any cycling accident with enough force to
even show a scratch on my helmet. That does not mean I never will,
and when I do I'd rather be wearing a helmet.
Does your first sentence above not apply as well to pedestrian
accidents and car accidents?
If you exclude the fact that I have had multiple cycling accidents that
have resulted in large amounts of skin off, many stitches, a broken leg,
finger and hand, chances are higher that I will bounce my head off
something next time. Crashes are somewhat random events. The higher
the frequency of crashes, the higher your chances of striking your head.
It seems to me that you've managed to demonstrate some degree of skill
in protecting your head even in the somewhat extreme conditions of a
crash.

I've been lucky.

Some kinds of luck can be enhanced by proficiency.
Napoleon regarded luck as the most important attribute for commanding
an army.
This isn't all that surprising - people who do a lot of falling often
learn less injurious ways of doing it, to the extent that it's pretty
much a required skill for many sports.

Riding the MTB hard offroad causes more crashes, especially on wet
slippery stuff. Yes, you learn to ditch it better.

Proficiency improves with practice.
I don't regard that as particularly contentious.
Now if you could only manage to demonstrate the same degree of skill
in avoiding the crash in the first place, you'd be even better off

Indeed, and for the past 7(??) years I haven't taken a soil sample, but
the last was a failure to give way. I just picked the wrong line that
day when the dude pulled out in front of me. I go through that
intersection with more caution since, even though I have right of way.

Can you apply the same lesson to other intersections?

The lesson is to treat that intersection with even more caution and slow
my approach. It's a downhill run where we typically exceed 55km/h. My
downfall was that I misread the drivers intentions and chose the wrong
escape route. Had I been going slower I could have avoided the
accident. (Or if the twit hadn't failed to give way).

This is one reason I think Frank leads such a charmed life. He rides
slower and has more time to react when drivers misbehave.

However riding slower, even though fast is still well below the speed
limit, *should* not be the band aid cure all.

My point with Frank is that drivers should not so frequently fail to
give way. There will always be accidents, but the frequency of their
stupidity is way to high, around here at least.

I will restate that I didn't have a problem riding in the UK, south of
London (about 10 years ago). Drivers there seemed to be quite a bit
more "on the ball" than here. From a drivers point of view, many won't
keep left unless overtaking, or then overtake on the left, for example.

I have never received any injury from motoring or walking.

Why does your second sentence not apply equally?
I take great care when crossing the street. A lot more than those who
receive injuries I'll wager.
Or maybe you've just been fortunate enough to avoid some of the worst
examples of driving at the times and places where you cross the
street.
My serious incident took place entirely on the footway, which the
(apparently sleeping) driver was speeding on.

The driver was asleep and speeding on a footway? I wouldn't say you got
hit crossing a street. What is the legal limit on a footway there, 8km/h?

There is no speed limit for footways - it has been illegal to operate
any vehicle on the footway since the passing of the Highways Act 1835.
But that driver was already traveling at an estimated 80mph (128km/h)
on a road with a speed limit of 40mph (64km/h) before he fell asleep
and drifted off the carriageway onto the footway.
This took place directly in front of the police house in the village,
and the resident officer had heard the speeding car approaching and
looked out of the window in time to watch it happen - he had the phone
in his hand before I hit the ground, and the rapid response of the
ambulance service that resulted is one of the many factors without
which I would not be here.
These days it would undoubtedly have been a helicopter ride, but not
in the late '70s, when it was a 40 minute drive to the nearest
hospital with suitable facilities.

Ouch! Yes, not your typical struck while crossing the street accident,
that claims so many victims. This is what I was referring to when I
said I take more care than most when crossing the street.

Likewise while driving I take great care and suspect that my chances of
being involved in a crash and suffering injury is way less than the average.
Why do you not make the same supposition regarding your cycling?

Because I tend to ride faster than the average cyclist, on busy roads,
often in poor light or at night.

Maybe in poor light and on busy roads, it would be more sensible to
slow down

Thankfully, since installing my dynamo powered headlamp last year, the
frequency of evening/night incidence has fallen dramatically.

My next step is to buy a new rear flasher with some race winnings. I've
got one that is about 12 years old, or more, and I think it is a bit
weak by todays standards. Trouble is, though the ones my friends have
are brighter, they seem to fall apart in a short time, so I'm not sure
which one to chose.

I understand that both activities are dangerous.
But in all cases, you can control _some_ of the danger.

Of course.

My guess is that many cyclists are more astute and aware of the hazards
on the road, and make better motorists and pedestrians than the average.

I'd cross reference that even further - the more varied the
experience, the better the road user, and the more of that experience
is acquired using more vulnerable means of transport, the better the
driver.
That seems not only to be the case from my own experience, but (when
they differentiate) insurance companies seem to agree, and offer lower
premiums to those with broad and extensive experience. They employ
actuaries who perform considerable analysis of statistics in reaching
the conclusions they do.

Then you agree with me, and apparently the insurance actuaries too. Thanks.

I won't expect Frank to take any notice, but that does tend to make all
the statistics he regularly posts with such enthusiasm far less useful
than he expects them to be.

The point is that even the basic risk in cycling is already low, even
without the additional training and skills that an experienced and
sensible cyclist will acquire. If that were not so, the statistics
would be far worse than they are.
That is in no way incompatible with the idea that skilled and
experienced cyclists can lower their risk well below that of the
untrained person on a bike, even if there is always going to be a
residual (but even lower) level of risk that cannot be determined by
the cyclist - that's the pure luck bit, or if you prefer, the part
most affected by general standards of driving behaviour.

Just because **** happens it doesn't mean it's not worth enforcing
anti-fouling laws, nor watching where you put your feet!

That's the bit that's missing here, the enforcement. I'm going to start
videoing some rides to see what the enforcers will do.

JS.
Old January 11th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 10, 7:24*pm, James wrote:

The lesson is to treat that intersection with even more caution and slow
my approach. *It's a downhill run where we typically exceed 55km/h. *My
downfall was that I misread the drivers intentions and chose the wrong
escape route. *Had I been going slower I could have avoided the
accident. *(Or if the twit hadn't failed to give way).

This is one reason I think Frank leads such a charmed life. *He rides
slower and has more time to react when drivers misbehave.

If that were one reason I have fewer problems than you, it would
certainly not be the only reason. I've been an avid adult cyclist for
nearly 40 years now. For many years I was regarded as one of the
strongest riders in our club. Yet I did not have the crashes you've
had, I didn't need to complain about frequent close passes like you
do, I have never had a litany of near misses like you give.

And I've done dozens of tours, including in many countries, including
a self-guided coast-to-coast across the US. I've ridden in hundreds
of cities without your problems. I've regularly commuted to work in
two different cities since 1977.

Furthermore, I have at least six friends who have ridden in Australia
on tours, including Melbourne and Sydney. They didn't report the
types of problems you complain about.

I know you'll never admit it, but there's an excellent chance you need
to learn more about riding in traffic.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 11th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 10, 7:24 pm, James wrote:
The lesson is to treat that intersection with even more caution and slow
my approach. It's a downhill run where we typically exceed 55km/h. My
downfall was that I misread the drivers intentions and chose the wrong
escape route. Had I been going slower I could have avoided the
accident. (Or if the twit hadn't failed to give way).

This is one reason I think Frank leads such a charmed life. He rides
slower and has more time to react when drivers misbehave.

If that were one reason I have fewer problems than you, it would
certainly not be the only reason. I've been an avid adult cyclist for
nearly 40 years now. For many years I was regarded as one of the
strongest riders in our club. Yet I did not have the crashes you've
had, I didn't need to complain about frequent close passes like you
do, I have never had a litany of near misses like you give.

Hmm, I've got about 23 years so far, and about 230,000+km. (one year I
traveled almost 25,000km, but had one year off. I tend to exceed
10,000km per annum on average).

I've watched the video's and seen the stat's, Frank. A close pass for
you is 60cm. I laugh at 60cm!

What crashes have I had that you know of? Please search, you'll find
the total number is not that great. Three I think, that involve motor
vehicles. I've slid off a few times on wet roads, gravel or been caught
up in other peoples crashes, training and racing. But what do you do
when someone splatters themselves on the road right in front of you?

And I've done dozens of tours, including in many countries, including
a self-guided coast-to-coast across the US. I've ridden in hundreds
of cities without your problems. I've regularly commuted to work in
two different cities since 1977.

Never in Melbourne or Sydney as a regular commuter.

Furthermore, I have at least six friends who have ridden in Australia
on tours, including Melbourne and Sydney. They didn't report the
types of problems you complain about.

I'm sure they were here for a long enough time for that to be a
respectable sample size.

I know you'll never admit it, but there's an excellent chance you need
to learn more about riding in traffic.

There is no one I know who doesn't need to learn more about riding in
traffic, and I've ridden with numerous professional cyclists over the years.

Last Saturday at the cafe sipping coffee, a fellow came up with, and
totally out of the blue, "We should start a website to record all the
incidents we have riding, you know like the one I had last summer when
my mates and I had to subdue that driver that got out of his car and
started swinging fists at us!"

We've even had celebrities attack cyclists! One broke a cyclists
finger, another said on national TV that cyclists should be run off the
roads!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1111117691123
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ma...1001-gcyf.html

Such wonderful role models, no?