Top pull derailleur for Ultegra triple crank?

Old August 19th 03, 04:49 AM
L. Smythe

Default Top pull derailleur for Ultegra triple crank?

Has anyone successfully used any top pull fder on the Ultegra triple?

Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
operate a bottom pull fder? Was thinking of maybe a seat tube clamp with a
pulley on it so the cable comes down and around the pulley to the fder...

Old August 19th 03, 01:48 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

L smythe- Has anyone successfully used any top pull fder on the Ultegra
triple? BRBR

Saches..but they are 'no mas'..

Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
operate a bottom pull fder? BRBR

Use a shimano e-clamp and then mount a 'cross' pulley onto it...we do this all
the time.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 19th 03, 06:59 PM
L. Smythe

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
operate a bottom pull fder? BRBR

Use a shimano e-clamp and then mount a 'cross' pulley onto it...we do this

all
the time.

Not sure what you mean, do you mean to use a fder clamp that goes on the BB?
And what is a 'cross' pulley? Very interested in getting this solution...

Old August 20th 03, 02:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

L smyth- Not sure what you mean, do you mean to use a fder clamp that goes on
the BB?
And what is a 'cross' pulley? Very interested in getting this solution.
BRBR

A shimano e-clamp is the thingy for shimano mounted to the BB shell fders that
stabilized them. Use just the clamp that has a drill hole in it, Mount a
tyipcal fder cross pulley to it, mount assembly to the bottom of the seattube,
route the top pull cable down, around the pulley, attach to bottom pull front
der.-About $24 or so for both.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 28th 03, 02:25 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bikefixr- But why not just use a top-pull front
deraileur? They do work. If you use a thumb-shifter, move the cable to the
inner position on the pinch bolt to get greater throw. BRBR

With ultegra or any other road STI, with a MTB top pull front der, they do not
work.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 31st 03, 08:08 AM
Michael

I am in similar situation to the original poster, but I'm using a
double crankset, and I'd prefer to use a top-pull derailleur rather
than a pulley with a bottom-pull (and I don't need to worry about STI,
as I'm using bar end shifters).

My problem is finding a modern top-pull top-swing derailleur that will
shift either a 48/38 or 48/36 set of double chainrings. I tried the
current XT, but since it is designed for mega-9 drivetrains, it
wouldn't work (the inner cage rubbed against the smaller ring when
shifted to the large ring).

I've heard that the old style (pre compact-drive, mega 9) derailleurs
will work with these larger chainrings, but does anyone know which
particular derailleurs will work for me? Better yet, does anyone know
where I can find one?

The specs of the recent XTR front derailleurs indicate a large ring
capacity of 48 teeth-- does that mean this derailleur (the M952) would
work better for my application than the current XT?

TIA
Michael

Old August 31st 03, 07:20 PM
Michael

Thanks for your help, Peter! However, I do NOT plan on using STI, so
will these mountain derailleurs just not work for 48/38 or 48/36 double
setups, even with bar end shifters?

Michael

In article , Qui si parla
Campagnolo wrote:

michael- My problem is finding a modern top-pull top-swing derailleur that
will
shift either a 48/38 or 48/36 set of double chainrings. I tried the
current XT, but since it is designed for mega-9 drivetrains, it
wouldn't work (the inner cage rubbed against the smaller ring when
shifted to the large ring). BRBR

It's not completely the arc of the cage but also the arm length and dimension
of the fder, that makes it not compatible with road STI.

No MTB front der will really work..need a Sachs road top pull, NOS now, tough
to find.

michael The specs of the recent XTR front derailleurs indicate a large ring
capacity of 48 teeth-- does that mean this derailleur (the M952) would
work better for my application than the current XT? BRBR

See above,, not compatible with road STI

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302