Performance Forte Axis Pro Fork?

Old October 7th 03, 12:49 AM
Kovie

Default Performance Forte Axis Pro Fork?

Does anyone know who makes this fork for Performance, and how it rates
against other all-carbon forks for non-competitive use (e.g. club rides, day
trips, weekend touring, commuting, etc.)? I recently purchased one as part
of a combo offer from Performance, which included a Cane Creek S2 HS, Forte
Pro stem, and Forte carbon spacers, for $190. It seemed like a good fork and
deal, and I had hoped to use it to upgrade my old steel bike (1981 Trek
612). Unfortunately, there are too many issues surrounding upgrading my old
bike, so I'll either have to return the fork combo, or use it to build a new
bike. Is it good enough to put on a modern $500-$700 steel or Ti frame,
fitted out with Ultegra triple components? Or would I be better served
getting a somewhat pricier all-carbon fork, or a similarly-priced carbon
fork with metal steerer tube?

Thanks,

Kovie
zen

Old October 7th 03, 01:24 PM
AndresMuro

It ought to be fine. I doubt that you'll feel much difference bvetween your
performance fork or other pricier one.

Andres

visit my art website at: www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html
Old October 7th 03, 04:26 PM
Russell Seaton

I have the same fork, stem, and headset. I bought it to put on a
cheap aluminum frame and use the extra drive train components I
purchased for other reasons. My plan was to have a second bike for
little extra cost. The little extra cost didn't quite pan out though.
And I have not quite gotten around to building the second bike up
yet.

But I have looked at the fork. It is all carbon just like some of the
pricier forks. Its just half the price. Made in Taiwan. I don't
know the name of the company and it would not mean anything to me if I
did know it. But I think most/many name brand carbon bike components
are made in Taiwan today.

I would not put it on a dream frame. Its pretty garish with the big
yellow decals. If I became stupid and insane all on the same day and
bought a Colnago frame without a fork, I would not use the Performance
fork. Or if I bought a Richard Sachs frame and then became stupid and
insane and decided to put a carbon fork on it, I would not put the
Performance fork on it. But if I needed a fork for a frame below the
top level, I would use this fork. If the ugliness of the big yellow
decals did not over power the monetary savings. Aesthetics matter.

Are you afraid the product is going to fail because it has the
Performance brand on it? I have some other stuff by Performance, and
Nashbar. It usually works OK. Sometimes I don't particularly think
its great quality, or the best design, but I've never worried about
the products failing catastrophically. Or being unsafe to use.
Performance has been around for about 20 years. They aren't going to
jeopardize their business by putting their name on unsafe products.
They put out cheap, functional, no name brand stuff without the latest
and greatest gee whiz factor. There is a market for this.

Old October 7th 03, 05:58 PM
Kovie

Thanks for the helpful and detailed response. No, I'm probably not going to
make a fool of myself and buy a $2000-$4000 frame and build a bike around
it. I'm looking at either steel frames in the $400-$500 range, or one of the
less expensive Ti frames for $600-$700, built up with mostly Ultegra (DA STI
shifters though, as I hear they're a lot more reliable), and Mavic Cosmos
wheels. I actually don't mind the look of the Forte fork, so that's not an
issue. I was mostly concerned with performance (no pun intended!) and
reliability. I can probably build up a Ti bike this way for just over
$1,500, but it would require the use of some non-brand name components such
as the forte.

Kovie

om...

Old October 7th 03, 06:04 PM
Grenouil

"Kovie" wrote in message
[...]

What do you expect to get by spending more money for
essentially the same thing, or the same money for a fork
with a metal steerer tube, but with a brand name?

I suspect that even the brand name forks come from Taiwanese
factories like Advanced International -
http://www.adgroup.com.tw/NEW2/htm/index.htm - it's just
that Performance, Colorado, and Nashbar buy direct.

Anybody know if that's not the case?

Old October 8th 03, 12:16 AM
Bruce

"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...
I have the same fork, stem, and headset. I bought it to put on a
cheap aluminum frame and use the extra drive train components I

I would not put it on a dream frame. Its pretty garish with the big
yellow decals. If I became stupid and insane all on the same day and

How easy/hard would it be to remove the decals? If easy then it might be my
next fork.

-Bruce

Old October 8th 03, 06:55 AM
Kovie

They appear to be applied beneath the top, clear layer, so I don't know if
they can be safely removed. I personally don't find them to be that
offensive, but it's a matter of taste, of course.

--
Kovie
zen

Old October 8th 03, 06:57 AM
Kovie

Not sure, other than a brand name and perhaps higher quality, be it in terms
of ride feel, durability, etc. I guess that's why I asked, as I have no
basis for comparison and was relying on the advice of more experienced
cyclists.

--
Kovie
zen

"Grenouil" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 8th 03, 07:01 AM
GWB

"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...
I have the same fork, stem, and headset. I bought it to put on a
cheap aluminum frame and use the extra drive train components I
purchased for other reasons. My plan was to have a second bike for
little extra cost. The little extra cost didn't quite pan out though.

And I have not quite gotten around to building the second bike up
yet.

But I have looked at the fork.

I like the way you feel so confident saying so much about this fork based
only on the way it looks.

Old October 8th 03, 04:26 PM
Russell Seaton

"GWB" wrote in message . com...
"Russell Seaton" wrote in message
om...
I have the same fork, stem, and headset. I bought it to put on a
cheap aluminum frame and use the extra drive train components I
purchased for other reasons. My plan was to have a second bike for
little extra cost. The little extra cost didn't quite pan out though.

And I have not quite gotten around to building the second bike up
yet.

But I have looked at the fork.

I like the way you feel so confident saying so much about this fork based
only on the way it looks.

But I do own the fork. I did spend my own money for the fork. And in
about two weeks I will post again about its ride quality. If I can
tell its any different than any other fork I've used. But I'm not the
most sensitive person in the world. I cannot tell when I am using
tubulars or clinchers. Or if my fork has a steel or carbon steerer.
Or if the frame is made of aluminum, titanium, steel, or carbon. I
just ride bikes. So more than likely the review will be "I rode a
bike with this fork for XX miles. It worked just fine."

My previous statements are based mainly on the fact you will have a
hard time buying any poor quality, non-functional, unsafe bike or bike
components today. You can walk into any bike shop and buy any bike on
the floor and it will be OK. Given the fact the mechanic did not
install anything incorrectly. You can also order any bike component
from any mail order place and it will work OK. Given it is not a
random defective item. Which occur at all levels.

I have enough Performance or Nashbar brand products to be confident
they do not put their name on any obviously poor quality, unsafe
products.