New bike for Joerg

Old December 15th 16, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default New bike for Joerg

http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/
Old December 15th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/15/2016 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

Copy says 'disc brakes'.

Technical quibbles:
1. there's no front disc because you can't do that and
2. there's no rear disc because there aren't 2-sp auto hubs
with disc mount, they are all CB.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 15th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:11:00 PM UTC-5, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

I /like/ that--I would not pay a cent for it, but I admire the enterprise.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old December 15th 16, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/15/2016 2:37 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/15/2016 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

Copy says 'disc brakes'.

Technical quibbles:
1. there's no front disc because you can't do that and
2. there's no rear disc because there aren't 2-sp auto hubs with disc
mount, they are all CB.

I had a pair of those Monark forks for the motorized bicycle I built a
few years back.

It was made "not real well" in that the bolts that they used for the
axle carrier (the little two plates that the wheel's axle bolts into)
had ordinary nuts, and tightened down against the linkage and fork
blade.... so that every time the suspension bounced, it would tend to
loosen the bolt nuts. Tightening them more didn't help, the nuts were a
narrow type and the bolts were made so short that a locking nut wouldn't
hold on.

The bolts themselves area a shouldered type that wasn't common. I have a
metal lathe so I made new ones that were long enough for a nylon-locking
nut, and then mine worked. I don't know what all these other people are
doing.

Also the welds on the Monark repro fork were kinda scary. At the fork
crown (which is just two pieces of 3/16" flat, stamped steel) I recall
that the welds to the head tube were only about 1 inch on the front and
back side,,,, the welds didn't even go all the way around the head tube.

I dunno if the original was welded and bolted that way or not; maybe it
was and this was part of the "repro" effort. I know it isn't really
meant to be a heavy-duty item, but still this was two details they could
have updated IMO.

I bought it because it looked nice and I wanted a board-track motorcycle
look, and I used it pretty gently. And the Monark fork does look
nice.... but it has at least two technical issues lurking.
Old December 15th 16, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:37:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/15/2016 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

Copy says 'disc brakes'.

Technical quibbles:
1. there's no front disc because you can't do that and
2. there's no rear disc because there aren't 2-sp auto hubs
with disc mount, they are all CB.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hard mount a normal rack on and I'd be VERY cocerned about twisting that headtube off the frame if riding on ajnything but smooth roads.

Why design something like that beats me. after all it's not like you're lowering the standover height any.

Different just to be different perhaps?

Cheers
Old December 15th 16, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/15/2016 3:18 PM, DougC wrote:
[...]

Originals (I just happen to have one nearby right now) slip
the steerer and both blades through both crown plates and
everything is fully brazed all through. The pivots have nice
cap nuts which go on the pivot bolts fully tight, leaving
proper clearance for the fork action.

Construction detail is similar to this 1929 Harley Davidson
model:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/har14b.jpg
(shown after steerer replacement)

Old December 15th 16, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/15/2016 4:03 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 3:37:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/15/2016 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

Copy says 'disc brakes'.

Technical quibbles:
1. there's no front disc because you can't do that and
2. there's no rear disc because there aren't 2-sp auto hubs
with disc mount, they are all CB.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hard mount a normal rack on and I'd be VERY cocerned about twisting that headtube off the frame if riding on ajnything but smooth roads.

Why design something like that beats me. after all it's not like you're lowering the standover height any.

Different just to be different perhaps?

Cheers

A combination of two things:
1) "industrial Design" students designing things they don't have to
build or use. And-
2) hipsters and their silly spending habits.

Note the right-ward bike in the garage pic: one of those 36" things with
the direct-drive rear wheel, where the pedals are set roughly 6" behind
the saddle.... Not a Fliz, (or Flitz?) I can't recall the name of this
one ATM...
Old December 16th 16, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 12:37:33 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/15/2016 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
http://coolmaterial.com/rides/the-growler-city-bike/

Copy says 'disc brakes'.

Technical quibbles:
1. there's no front disc because you can't do that and
2. there's no rear disc because there aren't 2-sp auto hubs
with disc mount, they are all CB.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew - don't look at the stupid details, look at the more or less good general idea.