Big Apple Frequent Flats?

Old August 30th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

Default Big Apple Frequent Flats?

Did a search on this, but didn't find anything specific. Just wondering
if any of you 29-er riders out there running the Big Apple tire have
had a problem with frequent flats.

I have a Big Apple on my GB4 29, and from a pure riding perspective, I
think it's a sweet tire. The 29-er setup in general climbs much better
than my Hunter 36, so I've been using it for interval training up and
down a nearby 2oo v/f climb. Two out of the last three times I've
ridden this road, I've ended up walking back down the hill with a flat.
This is not a dirty road, no obvious glass, etc. I've put less than
25 miles on this thing, and have had two flats.

If this is the way they behave, I may switch over to my nanoraptor, and
trade the smooth ride for a hassle-free maintenance experience.

Anyone? Tawk amongst yourselves...

TB

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 30th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

I've never had a flat in my Big Apples. At least several hundred miles
of riding.

Check your rim strip.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 30th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I've clocked up a about two to three thousand miles on 29" Big Apples,
and until Monday, had never had a puncture at all. I have the pressure
pretty high (don't know psi, sorry), and it's not uncommon for there to
be glass on my route, but that doesn't seem to phase it. Even Mondays
puncture probably wasn't from riding, as the tyre was fine when I put
it in the car on Sunday, but I left it in there all day in the heat, so
I think that was probably the cause.

I was using the Nanoraptor on the 24 hour race I did a couple of weeks
ago... and that got a puncture! Ok, so it was a thorn, so I know what
caused it, but in my experience, the BA is more reliable.

YMMV

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 30th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

I agree. Check:

1) The inside the tire.
2) The inside of your rim for burs.

I've had problems with both of these before. Also, if you have a rubber
rimstrip, check to make sure it hasn't shifted, and still covers all
the holes on the inside of the rim.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com

The ices, vans, and fires are all frequent and slow. Evelyn Marketplace 0 August 14th 07 04:11 AM
30 on the flats! jj General 26 April 4th 05 02:40 PM
Frequent flat tire on a bike trainer. Yum Techniques 18 November 8th 04 03:51 PM
Frequent Negative Tests B. Lafferty Racing 9 August 27th 04 05:22 PM
Too many Flats...what to do? daino149 Unicycling 19 March 10th 04 06:18 AM