A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old November 14th 17, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:19:41 +0100, Tosspot wrote:

On 13/11/17 20:41, dave wrote:

snip

The hubs are very pernickity about lubrication and need regular oil
changes or they sulk. Our man, as he himself correctly says, needs to
change the oil. Ride it for a bit and then change the oil again and all
should be shiny and maybe even better than new as the parts will have
worn in together.

Mine has about 11000 on it now. It gets an oil change in winter and a
strip down clean and rebuild in spring. Still going OK.


That's getting there. Are they tricksy to strip? Any links?

Mines got about 8k km on it, with one oil change, plan to do the next in
the spring. Is it really worth a strip?


Worth it? I don't know. Personally, I like to check and re-grease the
bearings. Also there will be a bit of a build up of particulate laden
goop in the body of the hub that didn't come out with the oil change
which is nice to get rid of.

It is not an overly complex job for the averagely mechanically competent
person to do.

It is about a couple of hours work. Tools required; 15 and 17 mm cone
spanners, Shimano tool to remove the brake disc, Ping-****it pliers to
get the cog off. Small screw driver for prying the non drive side bearing
dust cover open. There's a specialised Shimano tool for the hub dust
cover but you can live without that. The dust cover is clockwise to
loosen.

There are a **** ton of small parts which may get confusing on reassembly
so I like to line them up in the correct order for reassembling in the
workshop (kitchen). Parts from the outside cog side to the middle and
parts from the other side to the middle.

1 remove nuts and lock washers.
2 Non Drive side: Remove disc.
3 Drive side: unclip the shifter attachment and strip for cleaning
4 Drive side: remove the dust seal
5 Drive Side: undo the cir-clip holding on the cog
6 Drive side: pop off the cog
7 Drive side: remove the main body dust seal (clockwise loosens).
8 Flip the wheel over a big jar. It WILL drip oil.
9 Non Drive side: remove the retaining nut and cone.
10 drop out the internals.
11 Non Drive side: pop the dust cover off the bearings.
12 Non Drive side: get your balls out.
13 clean and de-grease the hub body and ancillary parts.
14 re-assemble with fresh grease where necessary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/915638...57640605430014



--
davethedave
Ads
  #22  
Old November 15th 17, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,085
Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On 14/11/17 06:36, dave wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:19:41 +0100, Tosspot wrote:


snip

Mines got about 8k km on it, with one oil change, plan to do the next in
the spring. Is it really worth a strip?


Worth it? I don't know. Personally, I like to check and re-grease the
bearings. Also there will be a bit of a build up of particulate laden
goop in the body of the hub that didn't come out with the oil change
which is nice to get rid of.


Sounds like a positive move.

It is not an overly complex job for the averagely mechanically competent
person to do.


I'm beginning to see the problem...

It is about a couple of hours work. Tools required; 15 and 17 mm cone
spanners, Shimano tool to remove the brake disc, Ping-****it pliers to
get the cog off. Small screw driver for prying the non drive side bearing
dust cover open. There's a specialised Shimano tool for the hub dust
cover but you can live without that. The dust cover is clockwise to
loosen.


Hmmm...I have all that including the dust cover spanner!

There are a **** ton of small parts which may get confusing on reassembly
so I like to line them up in the correct order for reassembling in the
workshop (kitchen). Parts from the outside cog side to the middle and
parts from the other side to the middle.

1 remove nuts and lock washers.
2 Non Drive side: Remove disc.
3 Drive side: unclip the shifter attachment and strip for cleaning
4 Drive side: remove the dust seal
5 Drive Side: undo the cir-clip holding on the cog
6 Drive side: pop off the cog
7 Drive side: remove the main body dust seal (clockwise loosens).
8 Flip the wheel over a big jar. It WILL drip oil.
9 Non Drive side: remove the retaining nut and cone.
10 drop out the internals.
11 Non Drive side: pop the dust cover off the bearings.
12 Non Drive side: get your balls out.
13 clean and de-grease the hub body and ancillary parts.
14 re-assemble with fresh grease where necessary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/915638...57640605430014


That looks quite doable. Thanks for the link.
  #23  
Old November 15th 17, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:11:16 +0100, Tosspot wrote:

On 14/11/17 06:36, dave wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:19:41 +0100, Tosspot wrote:


snip

Mines got about 8k km on it, with one oil change, plan to do the next
in the spring. Is it really worth a strip?


Worth it? I don't know. Personally, I like to check and re-grease the
bearings. Also there will be a bit of a build up of particulate laden
goop in the body of the hub that didn't come out with the oil change
which is nice to get rid of.


Sounds like a positive move.

It is not an overly complex job for the averagely mechanically
competent person to do.


I'm beginning to see the problem...

It is about a couple of hours work. Tools required; 15 and 17 mm cone
spanners, Shimano tool to remove the brake disc, Ping-****it pliers to
get the cog off. Small screw driver for prying the non drive side
bearing dust cover open. There's a specialised Shimano tool for the hub
dust cover but you can live without that. The dust cover is clockwise
to loosen.


Hmmm...I have all that including the dust cover spanner!

There are a **** ton of small parts which may get confusing on
reassembly so I like to line them up in the correct order for
reassembling in the workshop (kitchen). Parts from the outside cog side
to the middle and parts from the other side to the middle.

1 remove nuts and lock washers.
2 Non Drive side: Remove disc.
3 Drive side: unclip the shifter attachment and strip for cleaning 4
Drive side: remove the dust seal 5 Drive Side: undo the cir-clip
holding on the cog 6 Drive side: pop off the cog 7 Drive side: remove
the main body dust seal (clockwise loosens).
8 Flip the wheel over a big jar. It WILL drip oil.
9 Non Drive side: remove the retaining nut and cone.
10 drop out the internals.
11 Non Drive side: pop the dust cover off the bearings.
12 Non Drive side: get your balls out.
13 clean and de-grease the hub body and ancillary parts.
14 re-assemble with fresh grease where necessary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/915638...57640605430014


That looks quite doable. Thanks for the link.


No worries. Good luck getting the circlip back on.
--
davethedave
  #24  
Old November 15th 17, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,085
Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On 15/11/17 07:55, dave wrote:

snip

No worries. Good luck getting the circlip back on.


Been there, done that, *ALL* the toys out the pram :-(
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alfine perversity Ryan Cousineau Techniques 4 May 3rd 08 02:34 AM
Using a bar end shifter with an Alfine hub. [email protected] Techniques 47 March 30th 08 09:32 AM
Alfine OLD? Andrew Martin Techniques 0 November 12th 07 10:28 PM
Shimano Alfine Tosspot UK 3 February 6th 07 12:21 PM
Shimano Alfine Tosspot Techniques 0 February 6th 07 10:36 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.