Building a retro bike

Old March 23rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Geir Eivind Mork

Default Building a retro bike

I'm in the progress of choosing components to create a kind of retro
look for hardtail. Just for fun.

I got the frame sorted out, a Salsa Ala Carte (orange)
And the seat is a brown Selle Italia Storika (Way lighter than Brooks,
and funky looking enough for my retro look)

I've seen builds with this frame with all black parts, so I'm going
silver. But I wonder if I can somehow get gray/silver handles for disc
breaks like formula or avid 7? As I'm trying to get away from the modern
carbon-look back to the 80/90 steel/alu look.

I intially planned to use sram, but XT seem to fit more the shiny (lack
of) color scheme I'm looking for - which kind of sucks. Or are there an
option to get an all silver x9 without going all crazy and polish it
down? (there are a limit to my madness). headset is easy to get in the
right color, raceface deus is a nice shiny crank with nice CNC machined
sharp edges to grind my legs on :P, it's pretty hard to find any more
shiny handlebars than the race face deus in gray - why are they all
black?) and so forth. So what I'd like is input on reccomended durable
lightweight xc parts in silver (prefferably blank and not colored)
within a reasonable age that I might have overlooked in my research. Or
do I have to reconsider beeing sane, and go buy some clear coat and
polish down to get my desired look?

Old March 23rd 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 23, 9:11 am, Geir Eivind Mork -
spam.block.com wrote:
I've seen builds with this frame with all black parts, so I'm going
silver. But I wonder if I can somehow get gray/silver handles for disc
breaks like formula or avid 7?

Avid Ultimate brake levers.

Retro, huh?

http://www.rutteger.demon.co.uk/bike...relloyo001.JPG

JD

Old March 26th 07, 03:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Geir Eivind Mork

spam.block.com wrote:
I've seen builds with this frame with all black parts, so I'm going
silver. But I wonder if I can somehow get gray/silver handles for disc
breaks like formula or avid 7?

Avid Ultimate brake levers.
Retro, huh?
http://www.rutteger.demon.co.uk/bike...relloyo001.JPG

HEhe, Syncros is about as 90s as one can get it when it comes to bike
brands. I had Zoom on my last (bought 1999) bike. Wonder if they still
are in business with the same look.

I'd like some hydraulic disc brakes, and I can only find silver with
black handles in avid ultimate. I found an mechanical avid with the
right look but I'm not that found of cables.

Looks like my quest for shiny parts is quite tough. Headset is easy, I
atleast can get a shiny crank too, shiny wheels is also ok. Breaks are
tough, handlebars are even tougher and same with stem - seatpost seem to
be easier.

But stem / handlebars are the one that I most want to be shiny. And
hopefully not heavy stainless steel. any idea? (is there any clear
aluminium ones? or do I have to go titan which sounds rather expensive
and exotic.)
Old March 26th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:
[...]

Just take the components to your local hotrod shop and get them chromed.
Better watch out though. Bruno may want to hijack that pimped out ride.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 26th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Geir Eivind Mork

Ride-A-Lot skrev:
Just take the components to your local hotrod shop and get them chromed.
Better watch out though. Bruno may want to hijack that pimped out ride.

I'm not going this route -

http://www.lowriderbike.com/bike_fea...end01_zoom.jpg