A bicycle magazine from 1883 online

Old March 27th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
David Dermott

Default A bicycle magazine from 1883 online

Actually "Outing" magazine was a general outdoor recreation magazine,
but bicycling seems to be the main theme in the early years. I think
it was affiliated with the "League of American Wheelmen". Articles
are archived in PDF format, index starts with 1883 at:
http://www.aafla.org/index/outing1883.html

I'm especially interested in Karl Kron's Nova Scotia bicycle
tour article:
http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/O...1/outIV01c.pdf

Kron later (1887) collected his bicycle touring articles into a book,
"Ten Thousand Miles on a Bicycle"

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html

Old March 27th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Mar 27, 9:21 am, David Dermott wrote:
Actually "Outing" magazine was a general outdoor recreation magazine,
but bicycling seems to be the main theme in the early years. I think
it was affiliated with the "League of American Wheelmen". Articles
are archived in PDF format, index starts with 1883 at:
http://www.aafla.org/index/outing1883.html

I'm especially interested in Karl Kron's Nova Scotia bicycle
tour article:
http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/O...1/outIV01c.pdf

Kron later (1887) collected his bicycle touring articles into a book,
"Ten Thousand Miles on a Bicycle"

Superb! Thanks for posting that, David. Excellent work. You can
take the rest of the day off. If your boss gives you grief, send 'em
my way and I'll straighten them right out as to what is important and
not.

Old March 27th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article
,
David Dermott wrote:

Actually "Outing" magazine was a general outdoor recreation magazine,
but bicycling seems to be the main theme in the early years. I think
it was affiliated with the "League of American Wheelmen". Articles
are archived in PDF format, index starts with 1883 at:
http://www.aafla.org/index/outing1883.html

Thanks for pointing that out.

Kron later (1887) collected his bicycle touring articles into a book,
"Ten Thousand Miles on a Bicycle"

I have a facsimile copy published quite a few years ago. Kron's book
was privately published by prepaid subscription and there weren't that
many copies to begin with. It's quite tedious reading, for the most
part, being practically a pebble-by-pebble description of his rides. He
did avail himself of going to some interesting locales, though.