Moderated Google Group?

Old November 15th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dave C

Default Moderated Google Group?

Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

Dave
Old November 16th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 06:13:21 -0800 (PST), Dave C
wrote:

Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

Eternal September does a pretty good job of keeping spam out of this
group. Of course, I have to filter the nutcases myself, but they
identify themselves very quickly and then I can forget they exist.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old November 16th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

On 11/15/2010 6:13 AM, Dave C wrote:
Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

Dave

It's easy to filter out the spam and other garbage using filters in
Thunderbird or other news-readers.

Remember to use both e-mail address filters and subject filters. There
are often threads attacking a specific person where you may not want to
filter out everyone responding to the thread.

Here's the filter list I have at this point in time, just add these
filters and the group cleans up nicely:

e-mail address filters
-----------------------

Subject Filters
---------------
Dolan
Krygowski's
Krygowski
Tom Sherman

Old November 16th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-11-15, Dave C wrote:
Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

If you seek a quiter place, you could check out Peter J White's Bicycle
Lifestyle list. You can subscribe as a mailing list, or read over the web,
but there's no NNTP (newsreader) access:

http://groups.google.com/group/bicyclelifestyle/

Disclaimer: I'm a volunteer moderator (read: spam killer) for the list.

As others have pointed out, you can also switch to a newsreader with
killfile capabilities. I do this, with a fairly short, but brutal killfile.
There isn't much wheat left in this group once the chaff is gone.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old November 17th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

I post a lot on http://www.bikejournal.com
Old November 17th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 11/16/2010 9:00 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf aka The World's Greatest
(self-proclaimed) Expert™ wrote:
On 11/15/2010 6:13 AM, Dave C wrote:
Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

Dave

It's easy to filter out the spam and other garbage using filters in
Thunderbird or other news-readers.

Remember to use both e-mail address filters and subject filters. There
are often threads attacking a specific person where you may not want to
filter out everyone responding to the thread.

Here's the filter list I have at this point in time, just add these
filters and the group cleans up nicely:

e-mail address filters
-----------------------

Useful contributor.

Useful contributor.

Fun to (figuratively) poke with a stick.

Useful contributor.

Subject Filters
---------------
Dolan
Krygowski's
Krygowski
Tom Sherman

I bookend the list! WHOO HOO!

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 17th 10, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/16/2010 9:00 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf aka The World's Greatest
(self-proclaimed) Expert™ wrote:
On 11/15/2010 6:13 AM, Dave C wrote:
Does anyone know of a moderated Google group covering bicycles?

I see that this Usenet group is still full of spam and other garbage,
and because of that I've fallen off reading it very often.

Dave

I sure hope you find what you are looking for because I can see that you
would bore us out of our freaking skulls. ALL moderated groups, without any
exceptions, are for dullards and numbskulls. I personally would not be
caught dead on one. Imagine anyone having the effrontery to pass judgment on
a post of mine! What an outrage that would be.
[...]

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 17th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message
On 11/16/2010 9:00 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf aka The World's Greatest
(self-proclaimed) Expert™ wrote:

[...]
Here's the filter list I have at this point in time, just add these
filters and the group cleans up nicely:

[...]

SMS is a jerk. It is never necessary to filter anyone. The best thing he
could do is to filter himself right out of these groups. After all, he just
wants to talk to himself. There are already enough assholes here without
him.

Old November 17th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Gee, it certainly is too bad that you are so easily offended. Perhaps
after you have removed your pink tu-tu and your ballet slippers, you
will give some thought to the question of why you feel so threatened
when you read anything you don't approve of. You could also talk to a
shrink about it. Just don't wear the tu-tu and ballet slippers when
you go see the shrink, OK?
Old November 18th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

On Nov 17, 5:35*pm, Bill wrote:
Gee, it certainly is too bad that you are so easily offended. Perhaps
after you have removed your pink tu-tu and your ballet slippers, you
will give some thought to the question of why you feel so threatened
when you read anything you don't approve of. You could also talk to a
shrink about it. Just don't wear the tu-tu and ballet slippers when
you go see the shrink, OK?

How about a woman in a red tutu and running shoes crawling in the mud
to the finish line?

How about guy in black bicycle shorts, pink tutu, coconut bra, and
cleated road shoes?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1519749092

how to post to moderated group? bugbear UK 30 October 20th 09 08:07 PM
Moderated group Bill UK 6 October 6th 09 05:49 PM
Moderated group voting procedure Mr Benn[_2_] UK 421 August 11th 09 07:02 AM
Is there a moderated recumbent group? Freewheeling Recumbent Biking 20 October 31st 06 08:45 PM
Is there a moderated recumbent group somewhere? Laurel Thomason Recumbent Biking 19 November 10th 04 04:48 AM