Why do pedestrians

Old July 14th 16, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

Default Why do pedestrians

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:44:36 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 19:31:09 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

And anyway, why not get an electric mower instead of making a stink and a racket for your neighbours?

I have a Li ion battery mower and strimmer.

Is your garden big enough that the cord is a nuisance? Seems unnecessary to have batteries for those. I only get battery versions of things like drills, as going up ladders with a cord trailing next to you is annoying.

--
Debugger: a tool to remove evidence of rear entry.
Old July 14th 16, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 14/07/2016 19:29, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:20:23 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 14/07/2016 17:17, MrCheerful wrote:
On 14/07/2016 15:14, JNugent wrote:
On 14/07/2016 10:50, MrCheerful wrote:
On 14/07/2016 10:26, TMS320 wrote:
On 14/07/16 00:31, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 00:24:26 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

Twice as fast and twice as big makes the junction capacity the
same.

And if cars stayed the same size but went twice as fast, it would
double junction capacity.

Yes but small cars aren't so good at going fast. Unless it's an
Ariel Atom.

Ah, so that must be why 44 tonne lorries are the fastest things on
the
roads.

even a base model fiat 500 will easily exceed uk speed limits,
quite why
there has never been a government push to make car makers create
something adequate and economical is very strange.

There arguably is such a push: the £20 or £NIL Road Tax bands.

40 years ago I was
driving a 1950 something Austin A40, it would cruise at 70 and
returned
40 to the gallon. A modern Fiesta will exceed 110, but only return
about 30/35. Why do we not now have something available that will
do 80
or so and return 100 plus mpg?

Are there no small vehicles which will do that sort of mpg?

My diesel car returns 63mpg without even trying. But it can do a fair
bit more than 80mph.

so, it must be feasible to make a small diesel that will do 80 mph or so
and 100 plus mpg.

I think I've seen such a vehicle in Italy - it can even be driven
without a full licence (under Italian law).

But they're not popular.

Something like a Peel P50?

I don't know.
Old July 14th 16, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:30:35 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:44:36 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 19:31:09 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

And anyway, why not get an electric mower instead of making a stink and a racket for your neighbours?

I have a Li ion battery mower and strimmer.

Is your garden big enough that the cord is a nuisance? Seems unnecessary to have batteries for those. I only get battery versions of things like drills, as going up ladders with a cord trailing next to you is annoying.

I can mow the front and rear lawns without having to avoid cutting the cable and I don't have to swap AC sockets.

Old July 14th 16, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Don't be such a stupid childish pedant. We all call it road tax.

Who are We?
Just because the unwashed masses call VED 'Road Tax' does not make it the correct term.

Is 'Hoover' the correct term for a vacuum cleaner?
Old July 14th 16, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr Mudd-John

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:32:00 +0100, Paul Cummins
wrote:

In article ,
(MrCheerful) wrote:

A modern Fiesta will exceed 110, but only return
about 30/35.

What country are you in?

Ford Fiesta top speed about 115, economy 68.9 Mpg

Welcome to the erm. cycling NG.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Old July 14th 16, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:38:25 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Don't be such a stupid childish pedant. We all call it road tax.

Who are We?
Just because the unwashed masses call VED 'Road Tax' does not make it the correct term.

Is 'Hoover' the correct term for a vacuum cleaner?

The plebs still call door mirrors, "wing mirrors" - bless 'em.

I'm with Citroen here.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/roadtax1.jpg
Old July 14th 16, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 20:45:23 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:38:25 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Don't be such a stupid childish pedant. We all call it road tax.

Who are We?
Just because the unwashed masses call VED 'Road Tax' does not make it the correct term.

Is 'Hoover' the correct term for a vacuum cleaner?

The plebs still call door mirrors, "wing mirrors" - bless 'em.

Because they used to be on the wings. It's just a name.

In France, the engine in your petrol car is called a motor.

I'm with Citroen here.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/roadtax1.jpg

Stupid Citroen. Most people won't know what the **** that is.

I was once asked if I had a "logbook" while applying for car insurance. 5 minutes later, we worked out he meant a V5 and not service history. You should always use the common term.

--
Exersize: the act of removing excess baggage
Old July 14th 16, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 20:37:57 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:30:35 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:44:36 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 19:31:09 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

And anyway, why not get an electric mower instead of making a stink and a racket for your neighbours?

I have a Li ion battery mower and strimmer.

Is your garden big enough that the cord is a nuisance? Seems unnecessary to have batteries for those. I only get battery versions of things like drills, as going up ladders with a cord trailing next to you is annoying.

I can mow the front and rear lawns without having to avoid cutting the cable

I don't seem to have or understand that problem. It's very simple. Let's say your socket or front door where the cord is coming from is in the middle of one side of your square front lawn. You mow along that side first, then go back and forth along the front of your house, moving gradually towards the front wall of your garden. The cord is always on a part of the lawn you've already mowed, being gradually pulled along.

and I don't have to swap AC sockets.

Only one swap. And you have to plug it in to charge it, I don't. And you have to replace the batteries, I don't. And it will have cost a lot more.

--
A blonde is walking down a creek. While she's looking around she notices Judi walking along the other side of the creek. She yells to the other blonde. "Hey, how do I get to the other side?"
Judi replies, "You are on the other side!"
Old July 14th 16, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Thursday, 14 July 2016 20:57:23 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

and I don't have to swap AC sockets.

Only one swap. And you have to plug it in to charge it, I don't. And you have to replace the batteries, I don't. And it will have cost a lot more.

I also have cordless electric vacuum cleaners - do the car without cables through the front door window.

Cordless electric is the way forward.
Old July 14th 16, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 14/07/2016 20:38, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:28:48 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Don't be such a stupid childish pedant. We all call it road tax.

Who are We?
Just because the unwashed masses call VED 'Road Tax' does not make it the correct term.

Is 'Hoover' the correct term for a vacuum cleaner?

No, but the majority of people use that term.