Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

Old February 11th 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2)
rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats.Â* I think I’ve had one
flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard.Â* I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

No but lots of hills. That seems to cause a lot more rear tire wear than
riding in flat lands. Some roads aren't that great and some are unpaved
where the fancy expensive tires failed in their side walls too often.
For example, when I tested Gatorskins three out of four prematurely
failed with side wall damage. One actually blew a big hole out its side.
Vee Rubber tires and many others do much better in that domain. They are
more sturdy. So now I am buying those which has also brought a nice cost
reduction.

Use what you want but your experience is not my experience. I do a fair
bit of climbing and on some pretty crappy roads but I still get close to
5000km on a pair of Conti GPS 4000 tires. Works for me.
Old February 11th 19, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 11/02/2019 12:42 p.m., wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:37:27 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 09/02/2019 4:36 p.m.,
wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:52:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S. It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead. They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the Basso. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles.

The 5000S are 41 euros here, the 5000TL 56 euros.

Lou

Have you tried the 5000S?

Not yet. I have a set in my 'operating theater' (for Jay) ready to be mounted on my go fast bike. It is still off road season here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wx7Xc2EZQHdbQTEG8

It's still TACX season here. lol

Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...

According to the test in TOUR magazine they should be better on every aspect (RR, flat resistance and traction). RR 3-3.5 Watt less. Total 6-7 Watt, that is significant.
We will see.

Lou

Yes, I have read that. Like I said I just bought a pair of 4000s. I'll
try the 5000s next time.

The price difference is substantial since the 4000s are going for
basically half price and the 5000s are not on sale.
Old February 11th 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Ha, I got a Tacx Neo2 for my birthday. Use it for climbing training. I have tons of Garmin recorded climbs. I can import those climbs as gpx file and ride them on the trainer and see myself on google earth. Makes riding indoors bearable. Prefer riding outside though but yesterday almost 3 hours most of the time in the pouring rain off road was no fun. Soaking wet, cleaning the bike.....

Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...

According to the test in TOUR magazine they should be better on every aspect (RR, flat resistance and traction). RR 3-3.5 Watt less. Total 6-7 Watt, that is significant.
We will see.

Lou

Yes, I have read that. Like I said I just bought a pair of 4000s. I'll
try the 5000s next time.

The price difference is substantial since the 4000s are going for
basically half price and the 5000s are not on sale.

Yes you can great deal now on the 4000S, still an excellent tyre. The price difference here is 40.66 euro versus 32.53 euro.

Lou
Old February 11th 19, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I have the Vortex. Same thing. I can import my rides from tcx files or
straight from Strava. My Garmin connects to Strava. I can also do
their rides for something different. I use my ipad so it's google
earth. Not those films.

Yeah, it makes indoor training more bearable but only if outside sucks.

Wondering how they compare to the 4000S...

According to the test in TOUR magazine they should be better on every aspect (RR, flat resistance and traction). RR 3-3.5 Watt less. Total 6-7 Watt, that is significant.
We will see.

Lou

Yes, I have read that. Like I said I just bought a pair of 4000s. I'll
try the 5000s next time.

The price difference is substantial since the 4000s are going for
basically half price and the 5000s are not on sale.

Yes you can great deal now on the 4000S, still an excellent tyre. The price difference here is 40.66 euro versus 32.53 euro.

A pair of 4000s was on sale for ~98 bucks canadian and the 5000s were ~140.

Lou

Old February 11th 19, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

[...]

I too have no problems with my tires and I ride Northern Ontario Canada mining roads that are barely maintained and in a lot of places are like Joerg's roads. However, I do take care not to run over big sharp rocks if I can possible avoid it. Maybe the threat of having to walk for days to a road with motor traffic causes me to be a bit more careful of my bike and equipment? I'd hate to have to walk t0 of there pushing a bicycle simply because I did not want to ride a bit slower. Remember too that my bicycle there has about 40 pounds of gear on it. I carry a spare folding tire just in case but thus far in over 20 years have never needed to replace a tire when touring on those roads.

Joerg's world is different from anyone else's which is why he needs extra special stuff.

Cheers
Old February 11th 19, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

[...]

I don't do touring any more so I don't know what Joerg's issues are. I
carry a couple of tubes with me and a patch kit. I used to get a lot of
flats with cheap tires. Now they're rare. Quality tires are worth the
money.
Old February 12th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Old February 12th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:54:06 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 2019-02-09 09:52, wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important..

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

--
duane

I rode 11000 km last year and had 2 or 3 flats. No way I going to ride crappy cheap tires.

Lou

Not mention the performance or lack thereof with cheap tires.

--
duane

These Maxxi tubeless I just got feel like I'm riding on lead. But they weren't as expensive as the rest.
Old February 12th 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Our snowpocalypse fizzled. I rode on Friday. Saturday was snow and ice, so I took a day off and went for a walk with my recovering wife. We wore our awesome Chinese shoe spikes!

Sunday was skiing with my son in fresh, deep (in places) Cascade snow. Another bluebird Sunday -- sunny but cold on the mountain and dreary in PDX. There was a lot of ice and packed snow on the way up the mountain which really slowed the conga line to the resort. I miss my studded asphalt-eaters.

Howling wind and rain today. I expect my old Gore AlpX jacket to soak through on the way home. It's time for a new jacket. Even Nikwax wash and spray-on aren't doing the trick. Snow and freezing rain are now predicted for next week. If and when the freezing rain actually gets here, I'm driving -- or maybe just staying home.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 12th 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Need spikes on my shoes to walk up my driveway. Actually the first ones
I’ve owned.

Was sunny and cold today so the ice is still around. Tomorrow we’re
supposed to get 40cm of snow with winds gusting to 55k/h.

Good news is it was still light when I drove home today. With luck I
might be out on the road in 4-6 weeks.

--
duane