UK a good place to cycle?

Old June 3rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default UK a good place to cycle?

I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least partly on
the lack of shoulders on the roads. How can I convince him he's wrong?

(He's from BC)

cheers,
clive

Old June 3rd 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Clive George wrote:

I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least partly on
the lack of shoulders on the roads. How can I convince him he's wrong?

I don't imagine you can - once someone is convinced that cycling
with the rest of the traffic is fundamentally dangerous, it normally
proves impossible to convince them otherwise.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 3rd 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Clive George" wrote in message
I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least partly
on the lack of shoulders on the roads. How can I convince him he's wrong?

(He's from BC)

cheers,
clive

British Cycling?
He's very, very, very old?

Loads of people cycle over here every single day and remarkably, stay alive
and uninjured... even when cycling through towns and cities (gasp of
amazement!) Perhaps your friend thinks cycling Brits are particularly dim as
they would seem to have no regard for their personal safety, on his logic...

Cheers, helen s

Old June 3rd 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Clive George" wrote in

(He's from BC)

Wow! that's old.

Old June 3rd 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 03/06/2006 11:46, Clive George said,

(He's from BC)

I think he may be a bit old to start cycling :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 3rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Clive
George ') wrote:

I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least
partly on the lack of shoulders on the roads. How can I convince him
he's wrong?

You don't cycle on the shoulder, you cycle on the road. That's why it's
a /better/ place to cycle.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

Old June 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:
I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least
partly on the lack of shoulders on the roads.

Shoulders?
Old June 3rd 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"TheMgt" wrote in message
. uk...
Clive George wrote:
I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least
partly on the lack of shoulders on the roads.

Shoulders?

Possibly what you can land on if you go ar$e over t!t over the handlebars?

Old June 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:
I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least
partly on the lack of shoulders on the roads. How can I convince him
he's wrong?

Why bother.
Unless his ridiculous beliefs are stopping you from cycling, let him get
on with it.
Life's too short.
Old June 3rd 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:58:15 +0000, TheMgt wrote:

Clive George wrote:
I think so. But there's a guy who thinks otherwise, based at least
partly on the lack of shoulders on the roads.

Shoulders?

If the OP's friend is from British Columbia rather than Before Christ he
has been brainwashed into thinking that the debris-strewn hard shoulder of
a fast road is a good place to cycle. Perhaps he should be shown the AA
and RAC advice saying that the hard shoulder is an extremely dangerous
place for a /car/ to be!

Mike

South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... Howard UK 363 July 20th 04 11:42 PM
Helmets Vivian UK 460 April 28th 04 09:38 PM
Decathlon cycle carriers - any good? Gary B UK 6 November 2nd 03 07:06 PM