Are there any high volume bike wheel builders left in the USA?

Old April 13th 04, 06:45 AM
Jim Marriott

Default Are there any high volume bike wheel builders left in the USA?

Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Thanks,

Jim Marriott

Old April 13th 04, 12:58 PM
Calvin Jones

Jim Marriott wrote in message ...
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Thanks,

Jim Marriott

It is my understanding that J&B Imports handbuilds almost of all their wheels.
Old April 13th 04, 02:23 PM
daveornee

Jim Marriott wrote:
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?
Thanks,
Jim Marriott

MTN & Road = Wheelsmith. Don't know any USA builder of kids an
wheelchair? What do you want

-

Old April 13th 04, 03:51 PM
mark

"Jim Marriott" wrote
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Thanks,

Jim Marriott

Colorado Cyclist (www.coloradocyclist.com) builds wheels- buy the complete
wheel or send in your hub and they will send back a complete wheel built
around your hub, after relubing the hub. I've never bought a complete wheel
from them, but when I've ordered components to build wheels they've seemed
knowledgable enough. They sponsor a road team and a MTB team, which should
give them plenty of practice building wheels...
--
mark

Old April 13th 04, 03:55 PM
Jeff Wills

Jim Marriott wrote in message ...
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

I'm not sure what you're asking- almost every bike parts wholesaler
sells built wheels on some scale. Quality Bike Parts sells wheels
under the their "Wheel House" brand:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...9&Category=846 . J&B
Importers has several hundred lines of built wheels in their catalog:
http://www.jbimporters.com/nondealer...el&start_at=25

Jeff
Old April 13th 04, 05:49 PM
bfd

Jim Marriott wrote in message ...
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair wheels?

Why do you need or want a "high volume" wheel builder? Do you think
these "high volume builders" would built a better wheel? maybe
cheaper?

Are there any LBS near you who built wheels? If so, use them. A good
shop that knows how to built wheels is a very valuable resource.

If not, you'll hear names like Joe Young, Dave Thomas (speeddream
wheels) and on this group, Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com and
Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html) are all
known for building excellent wheels.

Alternatively, if you're mechanically-inclined, buy "The Bicycle
Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (who also frequent this group) and learn how to
build wheels yourself.
Old April 13th 04, 07:20 PM
SMMB

Dear B.F.D. (and we know what that means...)

Yours is a rant, not an answer to a question. Ease off !! There are such
things as simple questions.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

om...

Old April 13th 04, 09:26 PM
Tim McNamara

Jim Marriott writes:

Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA?
Road, mountain and kids bike wheels and maybe even wheel chair
wheels?

Define "high volume." There are custom builders in the US who build
hundreds if not thousands of wheels a year, but these are usually high
end wheels and you don't seem to be asking about that.

Do you want to be able to order 10,000 wheels a month? You'll
probably have to look to Asia for a supplier.
Old April 13th 04, 10:23 PM
bfd

"SMMB" wrote in message ...
[...]

This is interesting. Sandy, a top poster, accuses me of making a
"rant" and not answering the question. Au contraire, but I believed I
*answered* the question.

First, I ask why did the OP need a "high volume" wheel builder? Was it
because such a builder would built a better wheel? Or maybe the OP
thought this "high volume" builder would be cheaper.

Second, I then provided names of several builders who arguably could
be consider *high volume*, which is undefined; yet had reputations for
building excellent wheels (which I presume is what the OP wants).

Finally, I stated that if the OP was mechanically-inclined, there was
an excellent book available that could be purchased. Where's the rant?
Old April 13th 04, 11:43 PM
Cipher

Jim Marriott wrote:
Does anyone know of a high volume bike wheel builder in the USA? Road,
mountain and kids bike wheels?
Thanks,
Jim Marriott

How about Bontrager