Wanted: Rohloff Speedhub

Old May 6th 04, 10:46 PM
Simon Connell

Default Wanted: Rohloff Speedhub

Preferably disc compatible, but anything considered, whether built
into a wheel or not, whether new or well used.
Anyone got one?
Simon
Old May 6th 04, 11:46 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In om,
Simon Connell typed:
Preferably disc compatible, but anything considered, whether built
into a wheel or not, whether new or well used.
Anyone got one?
Simon

Sadly, I think if you're looking for something at below retail, you'll be
unlucky. I'm not sure whether anyone who could get you a new one posts here.
Maybe Darth Ben from Kinetics (http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/) does if
you're near Glasgow. Only other place *I* know of that can get them is
BikeTrax in Edinburgh (http://www.biketrax.co.uk), but there's a fair few.

Old May 7th 04, 08:49 AM
Peter Clinch

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

Sadly, I think if you're looking for something at below retail, you'll be
unlucky. I'm not sure whether anyone who could get you a new one posts here.
Maybe Darth Ben from Kinetics (http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/) does if
you're near Glasgow.

Last time I was in the shop there was one in the display case: Ben deals
in Rohloffs reasonably regularly AFAICT, and he posts out. Give him a
bell, quote the Magic Plastic Number and a Rohloff should be yours
reasonably soon afterwards as long as Mr. Visa is sufficiently
understanding.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old May 7th 04, 09:38 AM
Colin Blackburn

Don't we all :-(

Colin
Old May 7th 04, 10:33 AM
Mark South

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news

Don't we all :-(

No, not all. Some of us like to be able to pick our bikes up if we want to
:-)

Old May 7th 04, 10:48 AM
Peter Clinch

Mark South wrote:

No, not all. Some of us like to be able to pick our bikes up if we want to
:-)

It's not actually hugely heavier than a having two extra front rings and
front derailleur added to 9 cogs and mech at the back.

Pete.

Old May 7th 04, 10:57 AM
Mark South

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Mark South wrote:

No, not all. Some of us like to be able to pick our bikes up if we want

:-)

^

See the smiley Pete!

It's not actually hugely heavier than a having two extra front rings and
front derailleur added to 9 cogs and mech at the back.

Although there is the hassle of having nearly all the weight behaving like a
point mass rather than as a distribution.
--
Mark South
Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net

Old May 7th 04, 11:00 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:33:34 +0200, Mark South
wrote:

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news

Don't we all :-(

No, not all. Some of us like to be able to pick our bikes up if we want
:-)

Yeah, but that's what your pick-up-able's for! You don't just have one do
you?

Colin

Old May 7th 04, 11:11 AM
Peter Clinch

Mark South wrote:

See the smiley Pete!

Did see it, don't worry, just don't want spectators going around=20
thinking hubs are off the menu because they weigh 600 tonnes (because=20
they cost =A3600, quite possibly though!).

Although there is the hassle of having nearly all the weight behaving l=

ike a
point mass rather than as a distribution.

How much do you think you'd notice, compared to, say, having your=20
changes being crap because of all the, errr, crap all over the cogs?=20
Some folk are experimenting with it as a gearbox near the bike's=20
fore-aft centre with a plain drive to the back from there, which would=20
remove a fair bit of this problem.

I'd like it to be a bit quieter if I'm paying that much, and not have a=20
twist shift. If someone else is paying I think I'd muddle through though=
=2E

Pete.
--=20

Old May 7th 04, 11:27 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Peter Clinch wrote:

Did see it, don't worry, just don't want spectators going around
thinking hubs are off the menu because they weigh 600 tonnes (because
they cost £600, quite possibly though!).

Shouldn't that make them weigh 600 lb and be made of Sterling silver?

EFR
(naive colonial)