Saddle adjustment

Old August 20th 04, 08:29 PM
soup

Default Saddle adjustment

Had the saddle at such a height that I could reach the ground
either side (with tipytoes), increased the height so that my heel
was on the pedal at about 5~6 o'clock and my leg straight but
not locked . Thought this would be a detail improvement it is so
much more than this it is like having another gear, had a short
ride today 2~3 miles and it does seem more like sitting ON a
bike rather than IN it,am trying a longer ride tommorow
(23 miles) will let you know how I get on.

--
yours S

Old August 21st 04, 08:06 AM
Zog The Undeniable

soup wrote:

Had the saddle at such a height that I could reach the ground
either side (with tipytoes), increased the height so that my heel
was on the pedal at about 5~6 o'clock and my leg straight but
not locked . Thought this would be a detail improvement it is so
much more than this it is like having another gear, had a short
ride today 2~3 miles and it does seem more like sitting ON a
bike rather than IN it,am trying a longer ride tommorow
(23 miles) will let you know how I get on.

Power generally goes up with saddle height. Whether or not you can
reach the ground is irrelevant, as this depends on BB height. On a
mountain bike or a track bike it's very hard to reach the ground when
sitting on the saddle.
Old August 21st 04, 08:16 AM
Chris Davies

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:29:57 GMT, soup
wrote:

Had the saddle at such a height that I could reach the ground
either side (with tipytoes), increased the height so that my heel
was on the pedal at about 5~6 o'clock and my leg straight but
not locked . Thought this would be a detail improvement it is so
much more than this it is like having another gear, had a short
ride today 2~3 miles and it does seem more like sitting ON a
bike rather than IN it,am trying a longer ride tommorow
(23 miles) will let you know how I get on.

Better for you, too, I'd imagine. Isn't it nice when you try something and
just know it's right?

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
Old August 21st 04, 11:57 AM
Jeremy Collins

soup wrote:

Thought this would be a detail improvement it is so
much more than this it is like having another gear,

Absolutely; I adjusted a mate's MTB saddle halfway through
a 17m ride a few months back (his first in years, I set the
distance, heh).

His reaction was amazement - the extra power going up
hills for the same effort is immediately noticeable.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old August 21st 04, 06:12 PM
soup

soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
Had the saddle at such a height that I could reach the ground
either side (with tipytoes), increased the height so that my heel
was on the pedal at about 5~6 o'clock and my leg straight but
not locked . Thought this would be a detail improvement it is so
much more than this it is like having another gear, had a short
ride today 2~3 miles and it does seem more like sitting ON a
bike rather than IN it,am trying a longer ride tommorow
(23 miles) will let you know how I get on.

Just done the longer run was a bit wary getting on/off the bike
and at times didn't feel quite as in control (what you are used
to I guess) but these side affects in no way detract from the
extra power I seem to get when peddaling ,spent years playing
"safe" with the saddle height if only I had realised what I was
missing

--
yours S

Old August 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Gawnsoft

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:12:50 GMT, "soup"
wrote (more or less):

[...]

Yep - I just changed in late May (and I'll have had this bike for ten
years, come August or so!)

It makes all the difference. I never would have believed how much.

Although I know need to come off the saddle at traffic lights, or
decide in advance which side I'm going to topple to. I'm still
occasionally forgetting, then teetering awkwardly (and embarrassingly)
at junctions.

--
Cheers,
Euan