Simple green chain cleaner?????

Old November 20th 04, 01:04 AM

Default Simple green chain cleaner?????

Hi,

Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
machines is Simple Green?

Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
cleaner, or did it work well?

Did you dillute the Simple Green?

I'm curious about Simple Green because it would be a less expensive chain
cleaner.

Thanks,

Old November 20th 04, 03:08 AM
Jim Flom

wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
machines is Simple Green?

Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
cleaner, or did it work well?

Did you dilute the Simple Green?

I use Simple Green exclusively for chain cleaning, full strength. I also
use it diluted in a spray bottle for other bike cleaning (suggested strength
mixtures are on the bottle). The other item I use for bike cleaning is a
spray bottle with windshield washer fluid for less dirty work.

Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the Simple
Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.

JF

Old November 20th 04, 05:11 AM
Mike Beauchamp

When I clean my chain, I just use my parents dish soap.. works great as far
as I'm concerned, and yeah.. I've used about 3 different chain cleaners. I
haven't tried Simple Green yet though... I don't know if it's specifically a
degreaser or not though..

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old November 20th 04, 06:16 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
When I clean my chain, I just use my parents dish soap.. works great
as far as I'm concerned, and yeah.. I've used about 3 different chain
cleaners. I haven't tried Simple Green yet though... I don't know if
it's specifically a degreaser or not though..

It is.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 20th 04, 02:35 PM
H. M. Leary

In article Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13, "Jim Flom"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
machines is Simple Green?

Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
cleaner, or did it work well?

Did you dilute the Simple Green?

I use Simple Green exclusively for chain cleaning, full strength. I also
use it diluted in a spray bottle for other bike cleaning (suggested strength
mixtures are on the bottle). The other item I use for bike cleaning is a
spray bottle with windshield washer fluid for less dirty work.

Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the Simple
Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.

JF

Soylent Green is better!....

OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!
Old November 20th 04, 03:23 PM
Weisse Luft

Simple Green is more of a detergent solution than a solvent. While it
will emulsify oil, its effectiveness on grease and wax is limited,
leading to the false belief lubricants like White Lightning, when
applied to an installed chain, leave a permanent buildup on cogs,
jockey wheels and chainrings.

If you use oil type chain lubricants, Simple Green might be enough but
if you use White Lightning, you need to use a better solvent. And the
spray can stuff WL sells evaporates too fast to be effective on the
above mentioned trouble areas. Use low odor paint thinner.

--
Weisse Luft

Old November 20th 04, 05:09 PM
Fred Hall

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

But...but....soylent green is PEOPLE!!!

Old November 20th 04, 05:50 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:09:29 GMT, "Fred Hall"
wrote:

"H. M. Leary" wrote in message
In article Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13, "Jim Flom"

wrote:

wrote in message

[snip]

Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the
Simple Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.

JF

Soylent Green is better!....

OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!

But...but....soylent green is PEOPLE!!!

Dear Junior,

As has been previously discussed, your dietary prejudices
are mistaken. Eating people is not wrong:

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co....hat_canib.html

Remember, we favor cleanliness at all costs:

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co....ried_bath.html

D. Swann & M. Flanders
Old November 20th 04, 06:41 PM
Neil Brooks

Jim Smith wrote:

It is indeed a rather modest proposal.

I am impressed with how swiftly that response came ;-)

-Jonathan