Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Old June 1st 04, 09:02 PM
Matt Bouchard

Default Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

Hi...

This will be my first real road bike purchase so, apologies if this
sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy my first real road bike in 15
years (Im 31). I will be using it for a triathlon here in California
in Sept. Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping), but
Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike + $150 for
everything else.

I'm looking at two bikes:

1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at my LBS for
$850+tax which seems like a good price. (is there a way to stop the
clicking of the derailer?)

2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra, Cane
Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber Fork, 3T Prima 199
Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat. Asking is $800. Its from a guy at
work and the bike has been taken care of, and the size is right.
Here's a pictu http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82...ZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as well.

Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I think most
would say go for the new bike, but I think the cannondale might be a
better deal. I still have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im going to be
happy.

Thanks in advance,
matt
Old June 2nd 04, 03:48 PM
John Rees

"Matt Bouchard" wrote in message
om...
| Hi...
|
| This will be my first real road bike purchase so, apologies if this
| sounds a bit silly. I'm looking to buy my first real road bike in 15
| years (Im 31). I will be using it for a triathlon here in California
| in Sept. Afterwards I hope to integrate some touring(w/camping), but
| Ill never do any racing. My budget is $850 for bike + $150 for
| everything else.
|
| I'm looking at two bikes:
|
| 1) New Specialized allez elite 2004 triple. Can get it at my LBS for
| $850+tax which seems like a good price. (is there a way to stop the
| clicking of the derailer?)
|
| 2) A good condition used 1999 Cannondale R2000 with Ultegra, Cane
| Creek Crono Wheels, Reynolds Carbon Fiber Fork, 3T Prima 199
| Handlebar, CP Pave ergometric seat. Asking is $800. Its from a guy at
| work and the bike has been taken care of, and the size is right.
| Here's a pictu
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82...ZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

| I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as well.
|
| Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I think most
| would say go for the new bike, but I think the cannondale might be a
| better deal. I still have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
| stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im going to be
| happy.

My opinion is the Cannondale is the better bike for road riding and the
Tri you want it for. But not well suited for loaded touring.

Take a look at these (or any bike) and ask yourself how you are going to
put a rack and panniers on the bike. The Cannondale is a CAAD4 frame,
and although there appear to be small holes on the rear dropouts for
mounting a rack, the length of the chanistays make a rack and bags
uncomfortable. They are too short and you will be kicking the panniers
with your heels all the time.

Touring bikes tend to have a longer wheelbase, and a lot of that is in
the distance between the seat tube and the rear hub.

The Specialized has front and rear rack mounts.But, it's hard to imagine
putting much on either end. It has a compact frame and short chainstays
as well. Racing bikes make uncomfortable tourers. Not only will you be
having troubles with the bags, but it will be pretty twitchy with all
that weight on it.

Since you appear to be just a recreational or entry level triathlete, I
recommend getting a bike that is more suited for touring and simply pull
off all the unnecessary bits for the Tri to save weight. If you can
only get one bike, that is the better direction to head.

On the other had, if the touring thing is still just in the 'thinking
about it' stage, ask yourself if you're really going to tour and camp
with a bike. If you really aren't, back to the Cannondale. Nice bike,
and maybe you can talk the price down a smidgeon.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:14 PM
Peter

John Rees wrote:
My opinion is the Cannondale is the better bike for road riding and the
Tri you want it for. But not well suited for loaded touring.

Take a look at these (or any bike) and ask yourself how you are going to
put a rack and panniers on the bike. The Cannondale is a CAAD4 frame,
and although there appear to be small holes on the rear dropouts for
mounting a rack, the length of the chanistays make a rack and bags
uncomfortable. They are too short and you will be kicking the panniers
with your heels all the time.

I just got back from my latest bicycle camping tour with my Cannondale
R800 'criterium-style' close coupled frame. The rear rack is attached
to those "small holes on the rear dropouts" and I have no problems with
heel clearance on my rear panniers.

Touring bikes tend to have a longer wheelbase, and a lot of that is in
the distance between the seat tube and the rear hub.

The Specialized has front and rear rack mounts.But, it's hard to imagine
putting much on either end. It has a compact frame and short chainstays
as well. Racing bikes make uncomfortable tourers. Not only will you be
having troubles with the bags, but it will be pretty twitchy with all
that weight on it.

That hasn't been my experience with my Cannondale. I've had other bikes
with a more typical touring geometry, but the short wheelbase Cannondale
is the one I prefer to use for touring. It has a very solid feel with
the panniers loaded for camping and I hardly notice the load except for
the way it slows me down when going uphill.
The only disadvantages I notice are that I'm restricted from using tires
much over 25 mm wide and I can't fit full fenders (but the rear rack
serves as a partial fender and I put a water deflector under the
downtube to minimize spray from the front wheel).

Old June 3rd 04, 03:33 PM
Gary

May I add one small point: if you buy the Specialized new you get a
10-year warranty on the frame. Having broken my old Specialized 2000
year model frame last year I was delighted to receive a 2004 year model
replacement with NO charges.
Just something to consider among the other fine points made here.
Gary

Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Matt Bouchard

Thanks for all the feedback.

I firstly wanted to know if buying a used bike for my first, was a bad
idea. Since no one mentioned that, then I think everyone agrees its
ok. I didnt know how much bikes have changed over five years, but it
looks like the Cannondale is still a good bike.

For the touring thing: it really is a "might do it someday" thing, and
based on the second reply, it looks like it can do some light touring,
which is all i really need here in California - maybe a total of 7-10
pounds of gear.

The one hesitation is that the Cannondale is a double and not a
triple. I'll likely be moving back to San Francisco afterwards, but I
know lots of people use doubles on small hills.

For reply number three, I had thought Cannondale had a lifetime
warranty on the frame. I totally respect Specialized and Im
considering buying the cannondale and using it for a year then getting
a nice specialized if I stick with cycling.

matt

Old June 4th 04, 02:15 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:31:16 -0700, Matt Bouchard wrote:

I firstly wanted to know if buying a used bike for my first, was a bad
idea. Since no one mentioned that, then I think everyone agrees its
ok. I didnt know how much bikes have changed over five years, but it
looks like the Cannondale is still a good bike.

Things have changed some over 5 years, but not so much at this price
level. The big thing, the only thing, to worry about is fit. With a new
bike you can get the right size with a little work. They will often swap
out stems in order to improve the fit, and maybe swap saddles to suit. A
used bike, OTOH, doesn't allow you to change anything. If it fits
_perfectly_, go for it. If not, get the new one.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
_`\(,_ | welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
(_)/ (_) | benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade
were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo w/Columbus FOCO tubing ??'s Mark Sinderson General 1 September 18th 03 12:28 PM
2nd-hand track bike - advice needed hippy General 43 September 16th 03 04:05 AM