Chain idler efficiency - roller vs. toothed

Old April 29th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default Chain idler efficiency - roller vs. toothed

Tom Sherman wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Adam Kadlubek wrote:
On 28 Kwi, 00:37, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
TandemFan wrote:
[cross-posted to ARBR for Perry Butler's amusement]

[cuuuut]

not necessarily a bad thing, as several issues with short chain
lines go
away that make wide range gearing difficult.
Why would short chainlines make wide range gearing difficult?

Cross chain without guilt for instance.

Then combine a rohloff/nuvinci + a schlumpf drive == 0 cross chain.

No cross chain, but large expense.

Yeah, rohloff is expensive. Nuvinci is not so bad, neither are the
schlumpf drive. Together they are, but you do get a VERY wide gear
range with no steps, it is all continuously variable. I dont think
i need more range than what the Nuvinci can give me, which is a little
wider than the 8 gear derailure i have now.

If normal bikes can live with some cross chain, so can a recumbent.

Cross-chaining becomes much less of an detriment with a long chain line.

You get other problems with a long chainline. If something hits it
trash or some plants.

But as you said above, it's a question about tradeoffs. I just dont
like long chainlines. And neither those tubes they run in.
Old April 29th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Jon Bendtsen wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
TandemFan wrote:
[cross-posted to ARBR for Perry Butler's amusement]

[cuuuut]

not necessarily a bad thing, as several issues with short chain
lines go
away that make wide range gearing difficult.
Why would short chainlines make wide range gearing difficult?

Cross chain without guilt for instance.

Then combine a rohloff/nuvinci + a schlumpf drive == 0 cross chain.

No cross chain, but large expense.

Yeah, rohloff is expensive. Nuvinci is not so bad, neither are the
schlumpf drive. Together they are, but you do get a VERY wide gear
range with no steps, it is all continuously variable. I dont think
i need more range than what the Nuvinci can give me, which is a little
wider than the 8 gear derailure i have now.

i forgot to mention that i eventually want a Nuvinci, so i
might as well go for a bike that has a short chain line +
you can actually mount a child seat, i havent found others
that allowed that.

JonB
Old April 29th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"Jon Bendtsen" wrote
You get other problems with a long chainline. If something hits it
trash or some plants.

Most likely places of plant interaction with chain line seem
independent of chain length, e.i., at chain rings, derailuers,
idlers... And some recumbent designs with higher bottom
brackets raise chain overall.

But as you said above, it's a question about tradeoffs. I just dont
like long chainlines. And neither those tubes they run in.

Fine, but don't presume that all long chain lines have tubes.
For instance, the Easy Racers LWB bikes have chains
about 2.3 times longer than "normal" but have no tubes.

Jon

Block chain, roller chain, shaft-drive, wood-rim, and world's weirdest chain [email protected] Techniques 8 April 15th 07 01:50 AM
Recumbent chain idler Wally UK 16 January 23rd 06 09:42 PM
Anyone out there ever use a TearraCycle chain idler? John Knez Recumbent Biking 4 January 22nd 06 05:01 AM
Long Chain Idler Issue Blackburn Pete Recumbent Biking 1 April 20th 05 04:59 AM