Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

Old May 1st 08, 12:00 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

Default Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

On Apr 30, 7:11*am, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:30:31 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:20*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

Chuckle

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

Small, light, portable

Gunner

Oh, they have already. They put it in the other thread.

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

It's supposed to paralize an SUV driver for 10 seconds, so you have
time to escape.
Old May 1st 08, 01:19 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
pyotr filipivich

[Default] I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that
Gunner reported Elvis on Wed, 30 Apr
2008 04:11:41 -0700 in misc.survivalism :
wrote:

On Apr 28, 6:20*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

Chuckle

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

Small, light, portable

Methane powered... "use those toots - don't pollute."

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
The two oldest cliches in the book are "The Good Old Days were
Old May 1st 08, 03:23 AM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

On Apr 28, 6:20 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

Chuckle

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

Small, light, portable

Why not compressed air: http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1.

The Airzound® is loud enough to get the attention of a cager that has
the windows closed and the radio on.

Old May 1st 08, 04:34 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Gunner[_2_]

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:54:18 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Apr 30, 2:21 am, Commandante Ape****
wrote:
Got it. Whenever I hear a horn I know to be afraid.

I hear horns all day long, so I should be fearful all day long.

You should never let the guard down in the jungle. But you should be
able to tell a threatening roar from a hesitant driver, though both
can be deadly.

Another survival strategy that may not save you, but at least won't
make you fearful all the time is to wear headphones with noise
cancellation. Anyway that's what many drivers do with their radios.
Just ENJOY EVERYTHING LIKE IT WAS THE LAST DAY OF YOUR LIFE...

I just heard on the news, that the Greens demanding hybrid vehicles is
now causing the deaths of innocent blind people.

Seems that hybrids make so little noise that the blind are walking out
in front of them in record numbers. A bill is being considered to
make hybrids noisier.

Gunner
Old May 1st 08, 04:36 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
Gunner[_2_]

wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:20*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

Chuckle

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

Then why dont we see modified freon powered boat horns on bikes?

Well... CO2/propane powered horns since the Greentards banned freon...

Small, light, portable

Gunner

Oh, they have already. They put it in the other thread.

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

It's supposed to paralize an SUV driver for 10 seconds, so you have
time to escape.

Now thats way cool!

Though Im not sure that paralyizing the driver of a 8,000 lb hurtling
mass of steel, glass and rubber for 10 seconds in a really good
idea......

Gunner

Old May 4th 08, 05:42 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

Default horns and roars of any kind are not welcome

(I'm quoting here an interesting dialog with the original poster that
interprets the use of the horn)

"I can not subscribe to the Us versus Them Lions vs. Sheep analogy
wholeheartedly since few of us are only cyclists or drivers. But I
will admit that there are those out there who are not about to be more
courteous drivers around cyclists unless they are confronted by many
more cyclists on the road and strong peer and legal pressures to be
careful passing them all or careful in how they startle with their
angry horns.

But we are only talking about the horn blowers who lean on their horns
or startle us with bad timing of horn blows; don't forget that there
are many who just use their horns to alert or say hi without adding
the hostility aspect."

I'd only ask you,

Who surround themselves with statues of lions, lion's emblems, and
lion's family crests?

Yes, pretty much the same ones who buy SUVs and then...

"One major problem of SUVs is that some drivers tend to contract SUV
invincibility syndrome, which manifests itself by aggressive behavior.
Infected individuals mistakenly reason that the sheer size of the
vehicle suddenly makes them supreme road worriers. In other words some
mild mannered women who drive SUVs become aggressive chicks with
dicks, and a few normal guys who drive SUVs become über dick heads."
http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/su...they_suck.html

Yep, the lion has to do with the vehicle you ride, though there are
exceptions to the rule. And some of us --myself included-- use cars,
but not more than what we need. We are the monkeys...

And horns and roars of any kind are not welcome.
Old May 5th 08, 02:53 PM posted to misc.survivalism,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,aus.bicycle,dc.biking
ComandanteBanana

QUOTE(Keith C. Johns @ May 5 2008, 12:10 AM)
"But this thread is about ALL uses of the horn, not just by aggressive
drivers, and horn blows ARE used by good drivers as part of good
driving technique when used to alert others of their presence, and
other polite uses already mentioned. And it is useful to be able to
interpret the meaning behind these horn sounds and not get angry when
the message was not intended to be unfriendly. If you just assume that
any horn blow is mean spirited, you will probably be misinterpreting
many of these and possibly create conflicts with an aggressive
response. Better to realize that all horn blows are not bad, even
including some by drivers of FSUVs."

Well, I see some rare instances where blowing the horn may become
necessary, but I don't see the need to use to give so many different
messages that riders would have to decipher. When you are concentrated
in your thing, or tired from riding, you don't need to be guessing
people's intentions. And chances are you'll feel intimidated when you
have several tons of steel next to you...

Wouldn't it better to educate the drivers NOT to blow the horn at
cyclists?