Cake Chain Crunch

Old April 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Cliff Holloway

Default Cake Chain Crunch

I have a new Gary fisher Cake 3 DLX (LX group - XT 180 crank) - XL. When
shifting on the crank sometimes the chain is sucked up and jammed into the
swing arm. The problem is that the big sprocket is within a 1/4 inch of the
frame and during shifts some times the chain jumps high enough to be sucked
between the large sprocket and the swing arm. If you compress the rear
suspension I can remove the chain. Not good for the frame, sprocket, chain &
possibly my self (ouch). I have swapped out the stock HG 53 chain for a SRAM
power link and have filed down the back side of the large sprocket to remove
the munches from the chain jamming, this has helped some. This problem might
not happen if the derailleur tension spring was stronger.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks
Cliff

Old April 13th 04, 03:21 AM
khill

Cliff Holloway wrote:
I have a new Gary fisher Cake 3 DLX (LX group - XT 180 crank) - XL. When
shifting on the crank sometimes the chain is sucked up and jammed into the
swing arm. The problem is that the big sprocket is within a 1/4 inch of the
frame and during shifts some times the chain jumps high enough to be sucked
between the large sprocket and the swing arm. If you compress the rear
suspension I can remove the chain. Not good for the frame, sprocket, chain &
possibly my self (ouch). I have swapped out the stock HG 53 chain for a SRAM
power link and have filed down the back side of the large sprocket to remove
the munches from the chain jamming, this has helped some. This problem might
not happen if the derailleur tension spring was stronger.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks
Cliff

Don't buy a bike in its first model year from a manufacturer whose
previous FS attempts have been plagued by chainsuck?

- khill

Old April 13th 04, 04:04 AM
Cliff Holloway

Well that sure helped ... NOT. An obvious point of course, the first model
year and all.....
Any truly helpful Ideas?

"khill" wrote in message
wsgroups.com...

Old April 13th 04, 05:01 AM
Xtc

newsIHec.116708$gA5.1490996@attbi_s03...

&
possibly my self (ouch). I have swapped out the stock HG 53 chain for a

SRAM
power link and have filed down the back side of the large sprocket to

remove
the munches from the chain jamming, this has helped some. This problem

might
not happen if the derailleur tension spring was stronger.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks
Cliff

Just a thought. Did you buy this bike online, or did you buy it from a Local
bike Shop. Why not have them have a look at it. Any good bike shop should be
able to assist you. Of course, if you bought it online, then your at the
mercy of the lbs. Seems like a small adjustment, but then again a new model
always has some growing pains.

Old April 13th 04, 09:32 AM
bomba

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#4.6

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old April 13th 04, 11:03 AM
D T W .../\\...

[...]

I have a Klein Adept (a boutique Fisher Sugar) and although I haven't seen
the Cake, other than In pictures, it seems to have the same swingarm /
chainstay design as mine.
If the drive train is not kept immaculately cleaned and oiled it SUCKS! I
filed some of the aluminum swingarm down so I could backpedal the chain out
from between it and the ring. Is this area a carbon composite now? You'll
get used to it.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old April 13th 04, 06:14 PM
JD

wsgroups.com...

"Cliff Holloway" wrote in message news:fNIec.126146$JO3.83130@attbi_s04...
Well that sure helped ... NOT. An obvious point of course, the first model
year and all.....
Any truly helpful Ideas?

But it was helpful. Mr. Hill has a very valid point, you made a
mistake by buying that thing in the first place. If you had done a
bit of research on Google (even in this NG), you might have found out
the cake should have been named the crap from someone who took a spin
on one of the prototypes. Sell the damn thing to some other fool and
buy a good bike. That'll solve your problem.

JD
Old April 14th 04, 05:40 AM
Cliff Holloway

JD, I did my research, go to
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2004_ful...t_123075.shtml where
the cake gets 4.75 out of 5 very good ratings and not one mention of the
problem I have. Mr. Hill does have a point, nobody including me likes to buy
the first year of production (before the bugs are worked out) - sometimes it
just works out that way. As far as a piece of crap - I think not -- such
brash over generalities are usually based on emotion not logic or
experience. If I don't find a answer (I thought I eliminated one of the
potential causes up front with a quality XT crank) right away, one will
come. I'm a big 6'4" 220 lb Ex Motocrosser (15 yrs & ex test rider) so I've
been down this thrashing equipment road before. It was hard to give up the
old Cannondale F700 (5 out of 5 on MTBR Reviews) because the frame was so
Solid. Frame flex has always been an issue and I hope it is not the case
here. If it looks hopeless I still might do something like you
suggested.....

Cliff

"JD" wrote in message
om...
wsgroups.com...

Old April 14th 04, 05:42 AM
Cliff Holloway

A guide or some bolt on block on the swing arm that would prevent the chain
from getting up there in the first place....

Thanks for the idea
Cliff
"sittingduck" wrote in message
. 199.17...
"Cliff Holloway" wrote:

Well that sure helped ... NOT. An obvious point of course, the first

model
year and all.....
Any truly helpful Ideas?

would a chain guide work?

What's the best chain cleaner & degreaser? [email protected] Mountain Biking 0 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
chain skipping phil Mountain Biking 7 February 26th 04 03:41 AM
Chain and pin Giovanni Mountain Biking 3 December 4th 03 10:53 PM
Why does my chain "lock up" Peter Tønnesen Mountain Biking 11 August 7th 03 04:16 PM
Rehydrating my chain? Mark \(UK\) Mountain Biking 5 July 14th 03 05:19 PM