A couple more different ways to look at the helmet debate

Old December 1st 04, 03:39 AM
Robert Haston

Default A couple more different ways to look at the helmet debate

1. Picture in your mind, a man riding down the road on his bike. He is
wearing a Styrofoam hat, like one of those little minnow buckets you get at
the bait store. Does he look safe to you?

2. A friend comes up to you and says: "Man I was almost killed last night!
I was riding my bike:

on a high speed road (the back route takes too long)
where everyone speeds
and the cops don't care
It has no shoulders

I had no front light
or back light
or even reflectors
or any mirrors
I wore black clothes
I rode on the left (right if you are in the UK) side of the road
entered an intersection from behind bushes
with bad brakes
but my hands were full of groceries anyway

and a driver
who was 78
with bad eyesight
and was driving drunk
again
despite two previous DUIs

came along
speeding
talking on his cell phone
and ran the red light

And was coming right at me!

I couldn't stop! I had to ride into the ditch!

I fell and hit my head.

As I got up I realized my helmet was cracked!

My helmet saved my life!

Thank God I always wear my helmet.

Because I am a safe cyclist.

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
education davek UK 67 September 3rd 04 02:22 PM
Another doctor questions helmet research JFJones Racing 51 August 16th 04 12:06 AM
Should I wear a helmet? blue girl with white hair and red eyes Techniques 995 December 12th 03 02:17 PM