35 30 26 22 19 16 14 12 Cassette

Old September 26th 04, 01:25 PM
Doug Goncz

Default 35 30 26 22 19 16 14 12 Cassette

Hello rbt!

For an unsolicited proposal to the US Army for a recumbent bicycle for our
troops, I need to first verify

that the SRAM 3x8 hub ratio is 0.72:1:1.36

and get that as an exact fraction
(the planetary gearing formula with tooth counts).

Assuming that is the right ratio,
the title cassette is optimum for the application.

Is such a cassette possible?

Is a rear derailer available that will shift it, assuming the mounting stud can
be located anywhere in an OEM situation, not at a given point as is standard?

If not available, I have an alternative cassette and will post it.

Non-Hyperglide is fine. I have heard of a 36 T cog. I do know Hyperglide only
goes to 34 T, and also works best in preselected combinations, none of which
suit the application, which is an evenly spaced cassette and hub, double step,
wide range transmission. Each cassette step is half a hub step. Each hub step
is two cassette steps, to within 5% logarithm of gear ratio scaled to gear
numbers 1-24.

The alternative cassette is evenly spaced to within 7%. Actually 4.8% for this
cassette and 7.1% for the alternative.

That two percentage difference matters. The proposal must be solid, making full
use of existing manufacturing capability. Stock parts are for model vehicles.

But let's start with the SRAM 3x8 hub. Do any of you know its tooth counts or
do I have to tear down my brother's hub and count them myself?

Yours,
Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/incoming )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
Old September 26th 04, 02:20 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 26 Sep 2004 12:25:13 GMT, ( Doug Goncz ) wrote:

For an unsolicited proposal to the US Army
for a recumbent bicycle for our
troops,

Funny.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 26th 04, 09:26 PM
Doug Goncz

From: John Forrest Tomlinson

On 26 Sep 2004 12:25:13 GMT,
( Doug Goncz ) wrote:

For an unsolicited proposal to the US Army
for a recumbent bicycle for our
troops,

Funny.

Objective Force Warrior. Not funny.

Old September 27th 04, 02:11 AM
meb

Doug Goncz Wrote:
[...]

Most rders speced for 34T should handle 35, but 35T unlike 34T woul
likely require a more expensive a custom made sprocket or somethin
like a Spicer cassette chainring adapter which is more expensive tha
the custom cassette.

The even ratiometric spacing fails to consider the exponential effec
of speed on aerodynamic drag. The higher speed gears should be close
together.

The off pavement attributes of a recumbent make it a poor choice fo
combat use.

The Montague folding mountain bike which has been deployed t
paratroopers is the appropriate choice for combat troops, or bik
something similar in function

--
meb

Old September 27th 04, 03:49 PM

meb wrote in message

[...]
The off pavement attributes of a recumbent make it a poor choice for
combat use.
[...]

Some army bases are huge places with serious restrictions on car traffic.
Maybe this is for human transport on military facilities?

A bicycle in combat would quite hilarious.
Old September 27th 04, 04:23 PM
Sheldon Brown

Someone wrote:
[...]
The off pavement attributes of a recumbent make it a poor choice for
combat use.

Someone else replied:

A bicycle in combat would quite hilarious.

Actually, bicycles have had significant military uses in a number of wars.

Late 19th century writers liked to picture bicycle-mounted cavalry
charges, but the contemporary development of machine guns and barbed
wire made all cavalry charges obsolete.

However, the bicycle as a combat transport vehicle has been used quite
successfully, especially in southeast asia.

The Japanese used bicycle-mobile troops to out the British during their
conquest of Malaya.

The Vietnamese used bicycles extensively to drive out first the French,
and later the Americans.

In particular, the decisive battle of Dien Bien Phu was won by
Vietnamese forces transporting dis-assembled artillery through
supposedly impassable jungle terrain to command the heights of the main
French air base in northern Vietnam.

In the war agains the U.S., the famous "Ho Chi Minh" trail was actually
a bicycle route. The Vietnamese could transport up to 600 pounds of
materiel using bikes in a sort of wheelbarrow mode, then ride them back
up north for another load.

See: Martin Caidin "Bicycles in War"

Sheldon "Not That Hilarious" Brown
| Want of care does us more damage than want of knowledge. |
| -- Benjamin Franklin |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 27th 04, 05:13 PM
B.B.

In article ,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

Someone wrote:
[...]
The off pavement attributes of a recumbent make it a poor choice for
combat use.

Someone else replied:

A bicycle in combat would quite hilarious.

Actually, bicycles have had significant militarytop uses in a number of wars.

To add a bit, I have a photo of my Grandfather in WWII posing with
his bicycle. Apparently they used them to move around because motorized
vehicles weren't always available and there were often obstacles that
would stop a heavier vehicle, but a bike could be carried across.

[...]

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
Old September 27th 04, 06:39 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 28th 04, 08:21 AM
Hugh Fenton

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

[...]

B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net

Working in Cambodia in the repatriation operation in the early 90's, we had
white Landcruisers (bloody UN), Honda CL125 motorbikes and privately bought
mountain bikes. Of the three, the mountain bikes were the most useful - one
broken bridge would stop both the 4WD and the motorbike.

I still have good memories of the governor of Banteay Meanchey province
riding out with me to a meeting with a (friendly) Khmer Rouge group on our
bicycles. As he was an important man, his guard sat on the back with his
AK47 while the governor pedalled.

Hugh Fenton
(Now in much more boring Belgrade)