First generation not to live longer than their parents

Old March 17th 05, 08:45 PM
Maggie

Default First generation not to live longer than their parents

Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
estimated that this generation of children will be the first generation
to fail to live longer than their parents generation. Their lifestyle,
eating habits and obesity puts them at greater risk for health
problems. That really saddened me. I cannot understand how anyone can
allow their children to eat fast food and play x-box after school. It
boggles my mind. Do they even care about physical activity in this hi
tech world of computer games and Surround Sound.
All Good Things
Maggie

Old March 17th 05, 08:58 PM
MJR

Maggie wrote:
Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
estimated that this generation of children will be the first

generation
to fail to live longer than their parents generation. Their

lifestyle,
eating habits and obesity puts them at greater risk for health
problems. That really saddened me. I cannot understand how anyone

can
allow their children to eat fast food and play x-box after school.

It
boggles my mind. Do they even care about physical activity in this

hi
tech world of computer games and Surround Sound.
All Good Things
Maggie

Maggie,

The true tragedy is NOT that these retards with those habits will die
younger than their parents, but that they will LIVE long enough to
spawn another generation of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging,
republican-voting idiots.

Old March 17th 05, 08:59 PM
Matt O'Toole

Maggie wrote:

Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
estimated that this generation of children will be the first
generation to fail to live longer than their parents generation.
Their lifestyle, eating habits and obesity puts them at greater risk
for health problems. That really saddened me. I cannot understand
how anyone can allow their children to eat fast food and play x-box
after school. It boggles my mind. Do they even care about physical
activity in this hi tech world of computer games and Surround Sound.

I've certainly noticed there are no children playing outside anymore. The kind
of neighborhoods that would have been teeming with children 20 years ago have
not a single child in sight. I've noticed the rolly-poly aspect too -- a
"normal" 10 year old now would have been a "fat kid" when I was that age.

Matt O.

Old March 17th 05, 09:13 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
:: Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
:: estimated that this generation of children will be the first
:: generation to fail to live longer than their parents generation.
:: Their lifestyle, eating habits and obesity puts them at greater risk
:: for health problems. That really saddened me. I cannot understand
:: how anyone can allow their children to eat fast food and play x-box
:: after school. It boggles my mind. Do they even care about physical
:: activity in this hi tech world of computer games and Surround Sound.
:: All Good Things
:: Maggie

The mere fact that people eat fast food and play x-box after school is not
the problem. The problem is people eat too much, eat too much poor quality
food, and don't get enough, if any, exercise.

Hi-tech, computer games,and surround sound are not the problem.

Old March 17th 05, 09:13 PM
gds

Roger Zoul wrote:

The mere fact that people eat fast food and play x-box after school

is not
the problem. The problem is people eat too much, eat too much poor

quality
food, and don't get enough, if any, exercise.

I don't quite understand your point as your comments contradict
themselves. Your first sentence says that fast food and playing x-box
are not the problem. Then you say the problem is poor quality food and
not enough exercise.
To me the first sentence is the same as yor second. Fast food is poor
quality food and the implication of x-box play is that it substitutes
for exercise.
So... .

Old March 17th 05, 09:14 PM
Ken

"Maggie" wrote in news:1111092350.539146.266980
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
estimated that this generation of children will be the first generation
to fail to live longer than their parents generation.

Think of the bright side: we no longer need to reform Social Security.
Old March 17th 05, 09:15 PM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I cannot understand how anyone can
allow their children to eat fast food and play x-box after school.

While this could be factors, another major factor is that parents don't let
their kids walk or ride their bikes these days. WIWAK, the only reason why
you got a ride to school in your parent's car was when you were sick and had
to be picked up early from school. Everyone walked or rode their bikes,
except few who came in the school bus.

In my kids' school, a few kids walk, and even fewer kids ride to school.
There are three school buses, and then the rest are all driven by their
parents. Of course, the more cars that come by the school, the more
dangerous it is to walk or ride, and so you have a vicious circle set up.

For me, riding a bike was freedom as a kid -- away from my parents, the
adventure of the open road. If kids only get exposed to cycling by having
mom and dad haul them down to the multi-use trail, they won't see cycling in
the same way.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 17th 05, 09:17 PM
gds

Ken wrote:
.

Think of the bright side: we no longer need to reform Social

Security.

Until you factor in those medical costs paid for by medicare. The
projected decrease in life expectancy will still have most of these
folks getting ill before they die and paying for it with public funds.

Old March 17th 05, 09:29 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ken wrote:

"Maggie" wrote in
news:1111092350.539146.266980 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Did you see the news report regarding our nations children. It is
estimated that this generation of children will be the first
generation to fail to live longer than their parents generation.

Think of the bright side: we no longer need to reform Social
Security.

Actually it's the opposite, becaue we'll have a whole generation of people too
sick to work by their 50s -- not to mention the increased Medicare costs.

Matt O.

Old March 17th 05, 09:46 PM
Rich

gds wrote:

Think of the bright side: we no longer need to reform Social
Security.

Until you factor in those medical costs paid for by medicare.

Medicare and Social Security are two different programs.