Mention unicycling on college applications?

Old January 12th 05, 06:08 AM
tennisgh22

Default Mention unicycling on college applications?

In the next year I will be applying to colleges, and I have become
serious enough about unicycling that I may want to include it in my
application and/or resume. I assume it is good to stand out from the
crowd on an application, but then again is it possible to weird-out
admissions people? Unicycling isn't exactly a practical hobby, tho I
suppose it does show dedication, uniqueness and what not.

So, how many of you have included unicycling in one of your resumes for
a college or job application?

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

The word gullible is written above my avatar!
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old January 12th 05, 06:17 AM
James_Potter

tennisgh22 wrote:
*In the next year I will be applying to colleges, and I have become
serious enough about unicycling that I may want to include it in my
application and/or resume. I assume it is good to stand out from the
crowd on an application, but then again is it possible to weird-out
admissions people? Unicycling isn't exactly a practical hobby, tho I
suppose it does show dedication, uniqueness and what not.

So, how many of you have included unicycling in one of your resumes
for a college or job application?*

well, if there's a spot for listing your interests/hobbies, I'd put it
down. I always write something like this for forms/applications:
unicycling, rubiks cubing, juggling, magic, computers
I dunno if they ever take me seriously, but whatever....

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old January 12th 05, 07:51 AM
Diznei

I think the fact that you unicycle will show the college that you are an
interesting person that is well rounded, which is partially what they
look for in their students. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a
guy on a unicycle riding around the campus at some point, so it wouldn't
be a bad idea.

You might want to ask a school guidance councelor (sp?) but I would bet
its a good idea.

--
Diznei - U of I Juggler and Unicycler
Diznei's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8959

Old January 12th 05, 07:54 AM
siafirede

In some of my essays (personal statement or whatever) I included
unicycling, and learning how to ride a unicycle (showing persistance).

--
siafirede - straight edge in your face
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

Old January 12th 05, 07:57 AM
daino149

At my last job interview, the interviewer asked if I played any sports
or did any exercizing. So, I told him that I am a very avid unicyclist.
I didn't know what reaction to expect, but I was very surprised to find
out that the interviewer used to ride as a kid. This sparked a very
long conversation about unicycling and how the sport has progressed. I
was even able to correctly guess that he used to ride a Schwinn.

So, I'd say that it is a good thing to place on a college app.
Especially if there is a section for interests and hobbies.

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Old January 12th 05, 08:15 AM
GizmoDuck

tennisgh22 wrote:
*I assume it is good to stand out from the crowd on an application,
but then again is it possible to weird-out admissions people?

-grant *

Do you really want to go to a College that doesn't appreciate uniqueness
and individuality?

We didn't have to submit a CV or interview to get into Medschool, it was
just exam based, but if we did I probably would have included
unicycling.

I had it in my last job application

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old January 12th 05, 08:19 AM
mattw21

One of the managers at work found out that I unicycled. He said that he
hired someone that unicycled about 5 years ago. He read that on his
resume he had some quirky phrase that said 'Unicycling Extroidinare' or
something to that effect. So the manager said that he had to bring this
guy in for an interview to get to know him better... he got hired

so who knows... definately sets you apart from others.

--
mattw21
mattw21's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8973

Old January 12th 05, 08:37 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:08:28 -0600, "tennisgh22" wrote:

So, how many of you have included unicycling in one of your resumes for
a college or job application?

Personally I haven't, because I picked up unicycling after my latest
job interview. But I would do it for sure.

I heard this true story from an instructor at my former uni club:

Of all the applicants for a particular job, two came out equally on
top. One had included in his c.v. that he had acquired level 1 to 3 of
unicycling. When asked whether this was really true, he confirmed and
gave this instructor's name as a reference. The HR man called the
unicycling instructor which he happened to know, and was given a
colourful account of the personal characteristics required for getting
this far in unicycling, such as perseverance, willingness to explore
new ground, physical fitness.

Guess what, he got the job.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

Old January 12th 05, 02:26 PM
joemarshall

I always put mountain unicycling on my cv. Makes you stand out and gives
you something to talk about.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old January 12th 05, 02:32 PM
TheObieOne3226

College admissions officers go through dozens or hundreds of
applications per day. They get tired of seeing football etc. Something
like unicycling will make your app stand out.

They aren't supposed to be closedminded people. The worst that could
happen to you for putting it down is nothing.

1/3 of my college essays was about unicycling. It was something like
"Name 3 things important to you in life."

I figured unicycling was a good, interesting hobby. Also friends and
school.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
Yahoo:TheObieOne3226

disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

Nick, Joe, Tim, Jim, Nick, Eric, Trip, Mike, Bevan, Sabin, Owen, Jagur,
Brian, Michael, Pete, Evan, Andrew, Justin, Kyle, Dave, Kevin, and Laura
are my main man.

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Quick report on Israel Team to Unicon 12 and unicycling in Israel Jack Halpern Unicycling 3 December 22nd 03 07:14 AM
Philosophy and the art of unicycling Mikefule Unicycling 4 August 23rd 03 01:04 PM
Protective gear and the image iof unicycling sendhair Unicycling 4 July 15th 03 09:14 PM