chains.... again.....

Old October 9th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keyser Sose

Default chains.... again.....

Hi again,
To continmue my worries about chains.
I have measured my chain according to some of these chain wear tables. My
chain centre rivet to centre rivet is exactly 12 outside links measured on
an engineer rule. I want to break this chain to install a new rear mech.
This is the first time I have ever broken a chain, hence my anxiety about it
!!

I read Simon's reply to my thread earlier, where he recommends using a
Wipperman 10 chain. Can I break my Campag chain and use a Wipperman link on
it? I ask this since my chain on that particular bike is clearly not worn.
Or must I use a new Wipperman chain. This'll be fine on the Campag Centaur
groupset?
Thanks, Steve

Old October 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Keyser Sose wrote:
Hi again,
To continmue my worries about chains.
I have measured my chain according to some of these chain wear tables. My
chain centre rivet to centre rivet is exactly 12 outside links measured on
an engineer rule. I want to break this chain to install a new rear mech.
This is the first time I have ever broken a chain, hence my anxiety about it
!!

If you're really worried about it I suggest you remove the jockey wheels
rather than splitting the chain - it's only two screws.
Old October 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Keyser Sose
') wrote:

Hi again,
To continmue my worries about chains.
I have measured my chain according to some of these chain wear tables.
My chain centre rivet to centre rivet is exactly 12 outside links
measured on
an engineer rule. I want to break this chain to install a new rear mech.
This is the first time I have ever broken a chain, hence my anxiety about
it !!

I read Simon's reply to my thread earlier, where he recommends using a
Wipperman 10 chain. Can I break my Campag chain and use a Wipperman link
on
it?

Nononononono. I recommended using a Wipperman link with a Campagnolo
chain - which is what I do. It works fine, no problems at all. My chain is
a Record Hollowpin 10 speed.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
Old October 10th 06, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Simon Brooke wrote:

I read Simon's reply to my thread earlier, where he recommends using
a Wipperman 10 chain. Can I break my Campag chain and use a
Wipperman link on
it?

Nononononono. I recommended using a Wipperman link with a Campagnolo
chain - which is what I do. It works fine, no problems at all. My
chain is a Record Hollowpin 10 speed.

As I mentioned before Steve, you need to be careful about the various widths
of these things. Campag 10-speed chains exist in two widths now, and I
don't know how many Wipperman links there are. ~PB

Here's some advice from another place:

"Wipperman Connex...6.2 for the older 6.2mm chains, 6.05 one for the
new, narrow 5.9 chains."
From: "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Campy Chain Removal Options