Tire recommendation for back-country/xc

Old October 30th 04, 04:53 PM
Timo

Default Tire recommendation for back-country/xc

For riding singletrack with rocks, lots of roots, occasional small drops,
what are some good tires if I'm only slightly concerned with weight savings
but very much concerned with grip, overall reliability, and sturdiness (e.g.
resistance to pinch flats)?
Thanks
Timo

Old October 31st 04, 02:43 PM
DJ

The terrain you ride sounds very similar to that where I live. I bought a
new bike some 5 months back which came fitted with WTB Motoraptors 2.1 and I
have to say I have been impressed so far. They grip well in the wet as well
as dry rocky conditions and mud too, fast corners are no problem if they are
at the right pressure. They do seem to wear fairly fast to begin with but
once settled in this appears to have slowed. Never had a pinch flat and
when they do finally get worn I will be replacing them with the same tyre.
I have also tried Hutchinson tyres but did not like the feel of them in long
tight corners so went back to the WTB quick smart.
Hope this is of help.
DJ

Old October 31st 04, 10:39 PM
Timo

Thanks for the recommendation, DJ.
Timo

Old October 31st 04, 10:50 PM
Nate

Michelin hot s. I use around 15 different tire sets, and when
traction/cornering is the peak interest, I reach for the Hot S tires.
Run 'em opposite direction of what the sidewall says for xc use.
Older versions had problems with the sidewalls wearing out too fast,
but Michelin seems to have taken care of that issue. Check 'em out...

Nate