Tick, tick, tick . . . HELP!!

Old October 16th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tick, tick, tick . . . HELP!!

I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.) I thought it may have
been the pedals or shoes, but changing both did nothing. Guess that
leaves the drivetrain . . . thing is, though, I did some single-leg
pedaling, and it only occurs when pedaling with the right leg.
Wouldn't it also do it, at least to some extent, with the left leg if
it was the drivetrain? (It also does it pedaling in reverse.) Any
ideas . . . ?

Old October 16th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tiborg

On Oct 16, 9:40 am, wrote:
I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.) I thought it may have
been the pedals or shoes, but changing both did nothing. Guess that
leaves the drivetrain . . . thing is, though, I did some single-leg
pedaling, and it only occurs when pedaling with the right leg.
Wouldn't it also do it, at least to some extent, with the left leg if
it was the drivetrain? (It also does it pedaling in reverse.) Any
ideas . . . ?

Try removing your chainrings and cleaning the chainring bolts (and all
the other parts too) very throughly. I had a click similar to yours
and it was caused by tiny bits of dirt that had worked their way into
the bolts.

Old October 16th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dorfus Dippintush

KM wrote:
Does it stop when you coast?

2 thoughts...

Bearings in the right pedal or spoke issues. I have had both.

Let us know!

Kyle
"tiborg" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 16, 9:40 am, wrote:
I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.) I thought it may have
been the pedals or shoes, but changing both did nothing. Guess that
leaves the drivetrain . . . thing is, though, I did some single-leg
pedaling, and it only occurs when pedaling with the right leg.
Wouldn't it also do it, at least to some extent, with the left leg if
it was the drivetrain? (It also does it pedaling in reverse.) Any
ideas . . . ?

Try removing your chainrings and cleaning the chainring bolts (and all
the other parts too) very throughly. I had a click similar to yours
and it was caused by tiny bits of dirt that had worked their way into
the bolts.

The seatpost is a good place to look. Sometimes they creak as you shift
with pedal load. Remove it, clean it, put it back in.

Dorf
Old October 16th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DaveH[_2_]

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:09:19 -0700, tiborg wrote:

On Oct 16, 9:40 am, wrote:
I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.) I thought it may have
been the pedals or shoes, but changing both did nothing. Guess that
leaves the drivetrain . . . thing is, though, I did some single-leg
pedaling, and it only occurs when pedaling with the right leg.
Wouldn't it also do it, at least to some extent, with the left leg if
it was the drivetrain? (It also does it pedaling in reverse.) Any
ideas . . . ?

Try removing your chainrings and cleaning the chainring bolts (and all
the other parts too) very throughly. I had a click similar to yours
and it was caused by tiny bits of dirt that had worked their way into
the bolts.

Same he Clicking solved by tightening the chainring bolts. A good
cleaning sounds even better.
Dave

Old October 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Oct 16, 12:10 am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
.com
,

wrote:
I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.) I thought it may have
been the pedals or shoes, but changing both did nothing. Guess that
leaves the drivetrain . . . thing is, though, I did some single-leg
pedaling, and it only occurs when pedaling with the right leg.
Wouldn't it also do it, at least to some extent, with the left leg if
it was the drivetrain? (It also does it pedaling in reverse.) Any
ideas . . . ?

Many of the suggestions are to disassemble some
component, clean, lubricate, and reassemble.

I suggest a thoroughgoing diagnosis. You could
save yourself some time.

--
Michael Press

I have a QR issue - if I remove my rear wheel and put it back in with
the QR nut 1/2 to 1 revolution too loose - tick, tick, tick....

May or may not be your problem.

D'ohBoy

Old October 16th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Bonnell

On Oct 15, 10:40 pm, wrote:
I'm really starting to get annoyed at this (nearly) constant ticking
sound on my bike when pedaling. (Every once in a blue moon it
mysteriously stops for 5 - 10 pedal strokes.)

I was getting a faint tick on what seemed to be every revolution (but
the tick would disappear at times). Turned out to be the zippers on
my (new) cycling jacket clinking together. The old jacket used fabric
as a zipper pull...

Old October 16th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Myron Hobson

John Everett wrote:
I once chased a tick, tick, tick for a couple of weeks. I was
convinced it was in the drivetrain. While out on a ride suddenly my
saddle tipped back. I readjusted it and tightened the rail clamp bolt
and the ticking was gone.

LOL! The *exact* same thing happened to me about a week ago. And of
course this was the one day I left my multi-tool at home b/c I had never
used it before on the road. Whoops.

\\paul