Rubbing at the front wheel in the wet?

Old August 9th 04, 05:17 PM
Kevin Stone

Default Rubbing at the front wheel in the wet?

"Lardychap" wrote:

Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.

[1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

--
Kev

Old August 9th 04, 06:02 PM
Lardychap

Hi,

this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
utterly. Consequently at low speeds (10mph) there was a rubbing sound
like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
there was no brake rub. Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
visible.

Tonight it had all dried out and the front wheel span like it was on
frictionless bearings.

Other than taking the bike into the bath with me (or waiting til
another downpour, maybe tomorrow) can anyone suggest where I should
start looking for faults? First guess is wheel bearings but surely
water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
situation?

Cheers

Old August 9th 04, 06:09 PM
Simonb

Kevin Stone wrote:
"Lardychap" wrote:

Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.

[1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

Nah. Chuck it in the bath. Much more fun!

Old August 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Pete Biggs

Lardychap wrote:
this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
utterly. Consequently at low speeds (10mph) there was a rubbing sound
like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
there was no brake rub.

It's probably just the brake pads rubbing the rim. If so, it'll also be
happening in the dry but only water and muck from riding and braking in
the wet makes it audible (and it can make it very loud). The solution is
to set pads further away from rim, or true wheel if it's a bit out, or
smooth rim joint the problem is there. You'll need more brake clearance
for the rear wheel as rear wheels flex more. Use the rear brake as little
as possible in the wet, within reason.

Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
visible.

Is that with the brakes miles away from the rim? Worrying if so. Let me
think what else could it be? Tyres catching mudguards?

Hubs? They can make clicking or various weird sounds if water gets in or
something goes wrong with them. With non-cartridge jobs, I'm afraid
you'll have to strip and regrease to make sure if you can't eliminate
everything else.

/snip
First guess is wheel bearings but surely
water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
situation?

Not really. Water can rapidly emulsify the grease, producing nastiness,
including extraordinarily big knocking noises that you can't believe can
be coming from something so small as cones and bearing balls, etc.

Good luck!

~PB

Old August 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Paul - xxx

Simonb vaguely muttered something like ...
Kevin Stone wrote:
"Lardychap" wrote:

Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.

[1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

Nah. Chuck it in the bath. Much more fun!

The spokes really bring the bubbles up ...

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old August 9th 04, 11:54 PM
Chris Heys

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:02:11 GMT, Lardychap
wrote:

Hi,

this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
utterly. Consequently at low speeds (10mph) there was a rubbing sound
like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
there was no brake rub. Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
visible.

Tonight it had all dried out and the front wheel span like it was on
frictionless bearings.

Other than taking the bike into the bath with me (or waiting til
another downpour, maybe tomorrow) can anyone suggest where I should
start looking for faults? First guess is wheel bearings but surely
water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
situation?

Cheers

Possible you've got a cut in the tread of your tyre from glass etc...
that's letting water bubble between the layers of rubber in the tyre
causing a sort of water blister? Happened to me with some Conti Top
Touring 2000 tyres. Sounds weird when it comes into contact with road.
Sortof a 'zum, zum zum' sound :-)

Chris
Old August 10th 04, 08:26 AM
jacob

If the rubbing sound has stopped then the rubbing has stopped - so I'd
stop worrying if I were you.

cheers

Jacob