Vicious Sid....

Old October 29th 04, 02:54 AM
Dave Dowler

Default Vicious Sid....

Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I know the
regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have one it appears
that frequent close inspection of the sliders would be wise. While you wait
for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

Old October 29th 04, 06:08 AM
Mark Hickey

"Dave Dowler" wrote:

Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I know the
regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have one it appears
that frequent close inspection of the sliders would be wise. While you wait
for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

I wish I hadn't seen that before I have to go to bed... ugly stuff.

What was the failure mode? Did it fail when landing a big drop, or
was it a JRA (Just Riding Along...) failure? If it was the latter,
it's hard to imagine it not doing "something odd" before the
catastrophic failure - even if it's something that might not really
make you stop to check it out immediately.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old October 29th 04, 08:50 AM
spademan o---[\) *

"Dave Dowler" wrote in message
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I know the
regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have one it appears
that frequent close inspection of the sliders would be wise. While you

wait
for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

Nasty, tell us the whole story then.

Steve.

Old October 29th 04, 10:50 AM
JD

"Dave Dowler" wrote in message . ..
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I know the
regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have one it appears
that frequent close inspection of the sliders would be wise. While you wait
for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

There's a reason I call it the "sad" instead of sid.

JD
Old October 29th 04, 12:25 PM
Slash

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:54:45 GMT, "Dave Dowler"
scribbled:

Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I know the
regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have one it appears
that frequent close inspection of the sliders would be wise. While you wait
for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion
Old October 29th 04, 02:02 PM
Carla A-G

"Slash" wrote in message
Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

-Slash

Looks like blood.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old October 29th 04, 02:09 PM
Mark Hickey

justen wrote:

Slash wrote:
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828

Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Thanks. ;-/

Errr, that would be shock fluid.

.... I hope... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old October 29th 04, 02:40 PM
Dave

Mark Hickey wrote in message
What was the failure mode? Did it fail when landing a big drop, or
was it a JRA (Just Riding Along...) failure? If it was the latter,
it's hard to imagine it not doing "something odd" before the
catastrophic failure - even if it's something that might not really
make you stop to check it out immediately.

I've gotten a picture of the crash site:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...rash_scene.jpg

I can see mistiming the hop and going OTB, but this is not a big drop.
I don't personally know the rider in question, but he races on a local
shop sponsored team. I saw the shop owner, who was on the scene, the
next day. He trains and races with the victim. I asked the owner the
same questions. The victim rides a lot, but their focus is on speed on
XC race type terrain, not pounding ledges or doing big drops.

I was wondering about warning signals myself. The breaks appear to be
away from the crown, suggesting an internal stress riser in the
stanchions. The cracks probably were only internal until the final
catastrophic failure, so visual external inspection may not help.
Maybe it could have been creaking, but I think it would have been a
subtle clue at best.

My new rule: "Friends don't let friends ride SIDs". Dave Dowler
Old October 29th 04, 02:50 PM
justen

Slash wrote:
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828

Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Thanks. ;-/

justen at cable one dot net
Old October 29th 04, 04:18 PM
small change

Mark Hickey wrote:
"Dave Dowler" wrote:

Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828
Happened to a local rider last Sunday. He has a broken nose, multiple
stitches, two black eyes, and you can argue he got off lightly. I
know the regular posters here don't favor this shock. If you do have
one it appears that frequent close inspection of the sliders would
be wise. While you wait for your new, real shock to arrive! Dave

I wish I hadn't seen that before I have to go to bed... ugly stuff.

What was the failure mode? Did it fail when landing a big drop, or
was it a JRA (Just Riding Along...) failure? If it was the latter,
it's hard to imagine it not doing "something odd" before the
catastrophic failure - even if it's something that might not really
make you stop to check it out immediately.

also, how about wieght and size of the rider?