Vicious Sid....

Old October 29th 04, 05:44 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Dave wrote:
Mark Hickey wrote in message

What was the failure mode? Did it fail when landing a big drop, or
was it a JRA (Just Riding Along...) failure? If it was the latter,
it's hard to imagine it not doing "something odd" before the
catastrophic failure - even if it's something that might not really
make you stop to check it out immediately.

I've gotten a picture of the crash site:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...rash_scene.jpg

I can see mistiming the hop and going OTB, but this is not a big drop.
I don't personally know the rider in question, but he races on a local
shop sponsored team. I saw the shop owner, who was on the scene, the
next day. He trains and races with the victim. I asked the owner the
same questions. The victim rides a lot, but their focus is on speed on
XC race type terrain, not pounding ledges or doing big drops.

I was wondering about warning signals myself. The breaks appear to be
away from the crown, suggesting an internal stress riser in the
stanchions. The cracks probably were only internal until the final
catastrophic failure, so visual external inspection may not help.
Maybe it could have been creaking, but I think it would have been a
subtle clue at best.

My new rule: "Friends don't let friends ride SIDs". Dave Dowler

Uggghhh! Classic example of trail widening by people afraid of mud.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 29th 04, 11:55 PM
Dave Dowler

"spademan o---[) *"
cc.gov.uk wrote in
message ...

Nasty, tell us the whole story then.

Well, I wasn't there, so I sent out some queries today on the questions
raised by the group. The ride was a social ride before the annual awards
banquet for the local MTB race series. One friend who races and was on the
fateful ride reports:

"I don't know about you guys, but I hardly call a 160 pound guy a
Clydesdale. X just rides hard and hits **** a lot (I know, I ride with
him frequently). That's the problem here, not his size. Good lesson in
checking the equipment though and possibly replacing a fork just like one
might do a seat post or handlebar."

Another friend, who owns the garage where X has his car serviced wrote:

"I saw the forks. The right fork already had a crack in it. Looking at the
metal, you could see approx 25% of the front of the tube was discolored and
slightly weathered, indicating there already was a crack. I can understand
how easily it collapsed. He is ready for halloween without make up"

Finally, no, that is not shock fluid, nor a photoshop job. I think that
covers it. If I get any more detailed pics of the failure, or the crown end
I'll be sure to share them. Dave D.

Old October 30th 04, 02:41 PM
scottg

Uggghhh! Classic example of trail widening by people afraid of mud.
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

Not afraid of mud. Afraid of snapping forks.

Scottg

Old October 30th 04, 11:09 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

scottg wrote:
Uggghhh! Classic example of trail widening by people afraid of mud.
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

Not afraid of mud. Afraid of snapping forks.

You should know better than to forget the smiley. Someone here is just
going to jump all over that.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 31st 04, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
justen wrote:

Slash wrote:
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828

Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Thanks. ;-/

Errr, that would be shock fluid.

... I hope... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

He already stated that it wasn't shock fluid. Must be human fluid.

Old November 1st 04, 01:13 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:33:13 GMT, Chris Phillipo
wrote:

[snip shock failure and get to the good stuff]

So that would make it Rum I guess. Either way this was obviously caused
buy the quick release loosening under disc brakeing forces

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Bill

Old November 1st 04, 02:49 AM
Mark Hickey

"Unregistered" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
.. .
justen wrote:

Slash wrote:
Failure!
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=5828

Should I even ask what that is on the rim braking surface?

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Thanks. ;-/

Errr, that would be shock fluid.

... I hope... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

He already stated that it wasn't shock fluid. Must be human fluid.

Sorry - but I don't buy that. Unless the guy spent the post-crash
period rolling around in the dirt with his front wheel, there's NO way
that much blood would be on the wheel (at least from a survivable
accident).

The (usually RED) shock fluid would obviously end up all over the
wheel in the kind of crash we're talking about... I can't really
imagine all the fluid on the tire being anything else.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old November 1st 04, 01:44 PM
Dave

Mark Hickey wrote in message He already stated that it wasn't shock fluid. Must be human fluid.

Sorry - but I don't buy that. Unless the guy spent the post-crash

I went back and looked more critically at the pic. It was taken after
the wheel had been carried out. Besides the pattern being wrong, if it
was blood it would have been congealing and turning darker by then. I
think I am guilty of propagating a wee bit of urban legend regarding
the fluid. I'll strive to meet the high standards of truth & accuracy
expected on usenet in future posts. Dave
Old November 1st 04, 02:58 PM
Pih Stof

justen wrote:

Slash wrote:
[...]

Maybe when the fork broke, the wheel wound up under him and he just laid on
top of it like a dog turd??? Not likely, but ya never kno. It would make a
good Saturday Night Live skit with blood shooting out of his leg like a
fountain or something. I think mtn biking inherently involves little
spills. You see pros eating **** all the time. It's not like road racing
where a little accident is rarely 'little'. When roadies go down it gets
ugly.

Dave