1st Race, 1st Trip to the ER

Old November 2nd 04, 01:38 PM
Roger Buchanan

tcmedara wrote:

The Boy Wonder and I decided to enter the 17th Annual Tidewater Mountain
Bike Challenge held today near Williamsburg VA.

Glad to hear he's OK.

He'll have a pretty good story to go along with the scar as physical
proof of what happened out on the trail.

Sounds like a great young man you have there!
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.
Old November 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
Pih Stof

"small change" wrote in message
Pih Stof wrote:
Nah, you shouldn't feel bad. It's nothing that a little Halloween
goodies won't cure. You know that's part of growing up and all that.
Besides, aren't the kids courses very tame. Meaning, yes, they may
injure themselves but it's nearly impossible to seriously do so. The
kid's courses around here are this way. Infact, I don't think they
could injure themselves even if they tried. Boy Wonder's a tough
little mountain biker it would seem.

It's entirely none of my business, but I bet the misses was quite
unentertained by this development, huh? Mom's always freak out about
little things like this. Hope she's not going to want to tag along
to every mtn bike race now. LOL. Just joking.

I hope you are joking. Usually when people say that, they aren't joking

but
they are hoping to get off the hook. What lame generalizations about moms
and women. I know more than a few guys who want to puke at the mere
mention of
blood. Some of the best trauma responders I know are women. ( as in taking
care of people who have been in hideously horrrible wrecks) If you are
sorry about your choice of mate, sorry, I can't fix that for you. I know
more women that are like me than I do prissy, fearful, overprotective
types.

I can't speak for the biking experience but my boys do plenty of other
things without their mom freaking out... including class 4 & 5

whitewater,
rock climbing, trail running, backpacking and expert level skiing.

yep, hook line and sinker...;-)

Indeed, indeed. I can always count on you, Penny.

But about that blood comment, I don't know why, but when I once had to watch
someone get a big fat needle stuck in their arm, I became so pale that I
think I was green. Don't know why that happened. Weird.

In other news, I saw my first Hawaii plate on the mainland today. Who the
hell ships their car all the way over here from Hawaii?

Dave

Old November 3rd 04, 09:10 PM
Pih Stof

"tcmedara" wrote in message
Pih Stof wrote:

Nah, you shouldn't feel bad. It's nothing that a little Halloween
goodies won't cure. You know that's part of growing up and all that.

You can't help but feel bad when something like that happens. Anytime

your
kid gets hurt, you feel bad. You have to accept it, but you still feel

it.

Besides, aren't the kids courses very tame. Meaning, yes, they may
injure themselves but it's nearly impossible to seriously do so.

There's no way to make them completely tame. It was easier than the main
course, but was still up and down over twisty rooty singletrack through

the
woods. Speed, roots, trees, and 30 lbs of metal can be a hazard no matter
how tame the course is. I'm thankful there were folks out on the course

and
glad it wasn't any worse. The potential is always there.

So did anyone mention his place when he went down? He was probably smoke'n
the competition and getting a little ahead of himself. What's great is his
attitude after a little spill like this.

The
kid's courses around here are this way. Infact, I don't think they
could injure themselves even if they tried. Boy Wonder's a tough
little mountain biker it would seem.

It's entirely none of my business, but I bet the misses was quite
unentertained by this development, huh? Mom's always freak out about
little things like this. Hope she's not going to want to tag along
to every mtn bike race now. LOL. Just joking.

The Mrs

Err, um, hmmm... Yes, "Mrs" I meant that!

is pretty level-headed. She was obviously concerned, but isn't the
type to be overprotective at all. She supports my biking habit and is

happy
to have the BW get out with me. Thankfully she's not the "freak out"

type.

You've made it clear that WB is not exactly your first so, yes, I have no
doubt that after her experience it would take a lot to freak her out. :")

Dave