Another disc brake Q

Old November 2nd 04, 12:02 AM
Gwood

Default Another disc brake Q

Similar to another poster, I have an '02 Klein Adept that I'd like to
upgrade to discs. The existing wheelset is Rolf Dolomites, and I've been
pretty happy with this wheelset. I'm using '01 XT V's with them. I'm
around 160# and ride XC.

I've checked around to find a wheelset/brakes (thinking Avid mech's, need to
re-use my integrated brake levers) in the used marketplace, but not finding
much at a reasonable price. My budget is kinda limited.

Q1 - Would there be a price advantage to getting the wheels rebuilt with a
decent disc hub? I realize the rims would be less than optimal, but is the
weight diff acceptable for a price gain? I'd need to have this done, I've
never built wheels.

Q2 - The wheelset is in good shape - they spin well and are true. Any guess
as to reasonable market value ?

(Q3) Anybody out there looking to swap disc wheels/brakes for some good
rim-brake wheels/V's/cash ?

Tnx
Gary

Old November 2nd 04, 05:10 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Q1 - Would there be a price advantage to getting the wheels rebuilt
with a decent disc hub? I realize the rims would be less than
optimal, but is the weight diff acceptable for a price gain? I'd
need to have this done, I've never built wheels.

The Rolf system of paired spokes makes is harder to relace. Plus, the
system isn't designed to take stresses through the hub, since disc brakes
use the spokes to stop the bike and rider. It's not worth it to try to
rebuild the wheel with a new hub, since you'll need to replace spokes.
Traditional rims and hubs work better for disc brakes, anyways. Any
warranties on the wheels will be voided, too.

Q2 - The wheelset is in good shape - they spin well and are true.
Any guess as to reasonable market value ?

Not too incredibly much. They have bad sealing issues with the bearings,
going bad in wet and mud. eBay gives a market price of around $100 for both
wheels.

(Q3) Anybody out there looking to swap disc wheels/brakes for some
good rim-brake wheels/V's/cash ?

eBay's always a guaranteed sale/buy. Check out rec.bicycles.marketplace,
too, although most of it is road stuff.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 2nd 04, 11:23 AM
Michael Dart

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message ...
Q1 - Would there be a price advantage to getting the wheels rebuilt
with a decent disc hub? I realize the rims would be less than
optimal, but is the weight diff acceptable for a price gain? I'd
need to have this done, I've never built wheels.

The Rolf system of paired spokes makes is harder to relace. Plus, the
system isn't designed to take stresses through the hub, since disc brakes
use the spokes to stop the bike and rider. It's not worth it to try to
rebuild the wheel with a new hub, since you'll need to replace spokes.
Traditional rims and hubs work better for disc brakes, anyways. Any
warranties on the wheels will be voided, too.

I just retired a pair of three year old Rolf Dolomite disc wheels. The
front rim 'potato chipped', after a hit that caused a pinch flat, and sent
me flying into a patch of stinger nettles in WV. Shortly after the spokes
started breaking on the rear. I assumed they gave up from agressive XC
riding over these years but the constant pulling and pushing through the
spokes from the discs could have been a factor too. (I'll defer to Jobst on
that one though) They came with the bike and I was skeptical of them. They
weren't any lighter than a set of three cross wheels as the rim had to be
stiffer due to the lack of spokes. The first three cross wheel I built over
six years ago is still going strong though the brake tracks on the rim are
getting thin.

Mike

Old November 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
Gwood

Thanks. Being a wheel newbie, I had neglected to think about the transfer
of braking power to the rim - it makes sense that that spokes (and pattern)
would need to be more robust.

Appreciate the feedback.
Gary