Favorite rear tire?

Old March 30th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

Default Favorite rear tire?

On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:

And there you have two pro-Fire XC testimonials to my one anti-Fire XC.

And to Gordo's note, I had the Japanese version, too.

Add me in the "pro-Fire" column. They are my general-purpose tire of
choice. They are smooth and fast and grip very well in most
circumstances. They are, however, not great on muddy roots, and do
tend to wear quickly. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you get the Japanese ones. There's a big difference.

CC

Old March 31st 07, 08:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:
And there you have two pro-Fire XC testimonials to my one anti-Fire XC.

And to Gordo's note, I had the Japanese version, too.

Add me in the "pro-Fire" column. They are my general-purpose tire of
choice. They are smooth and fast and grip very well in most
circumstances. They are, however, not great on muddy roots, and do
tend to wear quickly. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you get the Japanese ones. There's a big difference.

My one and only ride on the Fire XC:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/backbone/rockgarden3.html

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old March 31st 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:23:13 -0700, G.T. wrote:

Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:
And there you have two pro-Fire XC testimonials to my one anti-Fire XC.

And to Gordo's note, I had the Japanese version, too.

Add me in the "pro-Fire" column. They are my general-purpose tire of
choice. They are smooth and fast and grip very well in most
circumstances. They are, however, not great on muddy roots, and do
tend to wear quickly. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you get the Japanese ones. There's a big difference.

My one and only ride on the Fire XC:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/backbone/rockgarden3.html

Greg

gotta have those red sidewalls... (they go faster). :-)

count me in the pro Fire camp. I've got the Japanese ones too.

-Gregg

Old March 31st 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:
And there you have two pro-Fire XC testimonials to my one anti-Fire XC.

And to Gordo's note, I had the Japanese version, too.
Add me in the "pro-Fire" column. They are my general-purpose tire of
choice. They are smooth and fast and grip very well in most
circumstances. They are, however, not great on muddy roots, and do
tend to wear quickly. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure you get the Japanese ones. There's a big difference.

My one and only ride on the Fire XC:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/backbone/rockgarden3.html

Greg

gotta have those red sidewalls... (they go faster). :-)

count me in the pro Fire camp. I've got the Japanese ones too.

So the count is now Gordo, CC, daddy, and Mamba saying they're the best
tire since sliced bread.

And me and CowPunk saying they're a knob shedding, one ride POS.

4 yay, 2 nay.

Greg

Old March 31st 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:
[...]

Add another nay here. Poop is poop.

JD

Old March 31st 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:
[...]

One day, I'll use an RFT version... (much like the Potenza's on my Wife's
BMW. Stiff mothers, but she can drive for 100 miles on a flat). :-)

Dare we say what the MTBR poll says??? (JD, put the heater back down).
:-)

Just fun'n. I could give a hoot about their poll. I do like the Fire
Pro's though. Have been working fine for me.

Peace,

-Gregg

Old March 31st 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

snip

Add another nay here. Poop is poop.

JD

Yes, in the end, it is....

Old March 31st 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Michael Halliwell

Corvus Corvax wrote:

On Mar 29, 5:14 pm, "G.T." wrote:

[...]

I won't say that they are the greatest since sliced bread, but I've had
fairly good experience with them.

The Japanese ones are far superior to the knock-offs. I've got over
1000 miles on the set I'm currently using and no missing knobs yet.
They don't do well when things get wet, but otherwise they are a
respectable tire for most conditions. Like the saying goes, they are a
jack of all trades, but master of none.

I'm presently looking for a set of tires to replace them that are better
in my local conditions and higher volume.

Michael Halliwell
Old March 31st 07, 11:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 31, 10:45 am, daddy wrote:
Dare we say what the MTBR poll says???

Dare away because those who know are aware that the mtbidiots don't
know jack shiite.

JD

Old April 3rd 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Mar 29, 2:05 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 29, 12:47 pm, "G.T." wrote:
wrote:
It's about time to replace an oldreartire, after plenty of miles of
faithful service. I figure I'll research & buy it over mud season,
and install it before my first trail ride once things dry out. No
point beating up a new dirttireriding the wood in my yard.
The bike I'm referring to is a hardtail, now the "Sunday" bike as I
picked up a cheap FS for a beater/snow/rain ride. My general theme
with this bike is light, nice and fast. It will see very little
pavement, and hopefully very little fire road. I figure since I won't
be riding this in the snow anymore, I can get away from the wider
tires with the huge mud-bar tread. I'll be riding New England, so
it'll be hardpack with some roots & rocks thrown in. No ski-lift
stuff. My previous tires were great on dirt, snow etc but left a
little to be desired when riding up rock. They were slick on wet wood
as well, but I don't hold that against them.
I also don't want to spend $90 on atire.
Suggestions?

Whatever Kenda suits your terrain.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax
Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html-Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check their catalog.

I'm tempted toward the Fire XC Pro as well, but I'm not sure how to
tell if it's Japanese, Tiawanese, OEM, original, etc. That's before
red & blue sidewalls come into play...

Do yourself a favor and skip them. Some people have luck with them but
myself along with many others have had most of the knobs tear off in a
single 2 hour ride when using them on therear.

My philosophy is that there are so many tires out there that work well why
even take a chance on one people have had trouble with.

I use the Kenda Kinetic 2.35 and I think CDB has recommended the Nevegal in
the past. I'll probably pick up a Nevegal next time.

Greg

Yeah, I've got the 2.35 Kinetics on the SS, and the 2.35 Nevegal on
the double squish, and love those tires. I also love my 2.35 Blue
Groove on the front. But its high desert hardpack, and dry forest
loam for most all our riding. We can't ride the mud here, as it tears
up the trails too badly. The BG/Nevegal combo is pretty popular, and
for our terrain, there's good reason.

CDB

Rear Tire Number 5 Marian Techniques 12 March 3rd 06 02:32 PM
New rear tire installed... C.J.Patten Techniques 6 June 29th 05 05:29 AM
New rear tire installed... C.J.Patten General 3 June 29th 05 05:29 AM
fat, slick rear tire....why? Roger Zoul General 17 May 2nd 05 06:20 PM
What is everyone's favorite...TIRE SIDEWALL COLOR? (Thx Sorni!) Raptor Mountain Biking 11 March 25th 05 09:13 PM