Front Mech Recomendations

Old December 22nd 03, 06:33 PM
Graham Wakley

Default Front Mech Recomendations

Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top ring ?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

TIA

Old December 22nd 03, 07:04 PM
MSeries

Graham Wakley wrote:
Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top
ring ?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

TIA

Whats the problem, front mechs have a range such as 22 teeth which is the
different between the largest and smallest. Surely you set up a front mech
at the correct distance from the large ring (about 2mm) regardless of is
diameter( which is related to its number of teeth). Does you frame have a
braze on mount which is not close enough ?

Old December 22nd 03, 07:15 PM
Paulmouk

"MSeries" wrote in message
Graham Wakley wrote:
Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top
ring ?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

TIA

Whats the problem, front mechs have a range such as 22 teeth which is the
different between the largest and smallest. Surely you set up a front mech
at the correct distance from the large ring (about 2mm) regardless of is
diameter( which is related to its number of teeth). Does you frame have a
braze on mount which is not close enough ?

You get better changing if the curve of the mech cage matches the curve of
the sprocket.
Paul.

Old December 22nd 03, 07:21 PM
Graham Wakley

"Graham Wakley" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top ring ?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

TIA

Sorry, some other important info:

The diameter is 31.8, bottom pull..

Old December 22nd 03, 07:29 PM
MSeries

Paulmouk wrote:
You get better changing if the curve of the mech cage matches the
curve of the sprocket.
Paul.

Interesting point. I have used Shimano 105 front mechs with 50, 52, 53 round
and 52 teeth biopace rings, all on separate chainsets of course. All work
perfectly.

Old December 22nd 03, 07:56 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Graham Wakley wrote:

Sorry, some other important info:

The diameter is 31.8, bottom pull..

Is this a triple? What about Shimano XTR - I think that is still
non-compact drive?

Old December 22nd 03, 08:38 PM
Peter B

"MSeries" wrote in message
Paulmouk wrote:
You get better changing if the curve of the mech cage matches the
curve of the sprocket.
Paul.

Interesting point. I have used Shimano 105 front mechs with 50, 52, 53

round
and 52 teeth biopace rings, all on separate chainsets of course. All work
perfectly.

27 speed mtb triples are fussy about relative ring sizes, I suffered all
kinds of grief when swapping a 32 middle for a 34 but my old 21 speeds were
far more tolerant.
However, the OP hasn't stated the number of gears he's running anyway, so
OP, more details please.

Pete

Old December 22nd 03, 10:47 PM
Simon Galgut

?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

TIA

Sorry, some other important info:

The diameter is 31.8, bottom pull..

I use a standard Ultegra front mech on my commuting/cross/touring bike that
has a Ultegra double chainset with a 48 tooth chainring - works fine.

Regards
Simon

Old December 22nd 03, 10:52 PM
JohnB

Simon Galgut wrote:

"Graham Wakley" wrote in message

"Graham Wakley" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top ring

Sorry, some other important info:

The diameter is 31.8, bottom pull..

I use a standard Ultegra front mech on my commuting/cross/touring bike that
has a Ultegra double chainset with a 48 tooth chainring - works fine.

I have a 105 running on a 39 and also on a 60.

John B

Old December 23rd 03, 12:21 AM
Andrew Sweetman

Graham Wakley wrote in message
Does anyone know of a front Mech that will work with a 48 Tooth Top ring ?

I've been looking all over the web, and not much joy.

Are you running road or MTB shifters?

Generally speaking, you'll get better shifting on 48 with a road mech (50-53
norm) than an MTB mech (42-46). The curve mismatch on an MTB mech tends to
force the front mech higher up the seat tube to avoid the tail fouling the
chainring, whilst a road mech will just have the tail of the mech a bit
further from the middle/inner rings than it already is.
Ideal will be one of the old pre-compact drive MTB front mechs, but they are
a bit rare now (SJSC have 93 XT at about £50).

If you use a road mech with MTB shifters, the cable pull will be too much.
You may be able to deal with this by screwing down the stops, but I've never
tried it.
Using an MTB mech with road shifters, where the cable pull is not enough, it
is often OK the increase the movement per cable pull by clamping the cable
on the wrong side of the clamp bolt. I used to use old XT with road STI by
doing this - I now use a 105 mech after the old one died.

Andrew
(12-27 x 24/36/48)