"The Spoking Word" by Leonard Goldberg

Old July 4th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default "The Spoking Word" by Leonard Goldberg

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
ebay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

From the description:

This book was written and self published during the early 1980s by
Leonard Goldberg, a former Boeing engineer, bicycle shop owner,
inventor, composer and an altogether remarkable man. Leonard is a
good friend of mine, which is how I happen to have some of his books
on hand.

The Spoking Word is unique among wheel building books because it is
the only such book that treats the subject as an engineering problem,
and it is the only book which examines a variety of creative solutions
to the problem of designing wheels with engineering rigor. It makes
all other books on wheelbuilding appear superficial, and although it
was printed over 20 years ago, the bicycle industry has not yet caught
up to this book.

Harry Travis
Old July 4th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Harry Travis wrote:

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
eBay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

So does "the Bicycle Wheel". There was no ".tech" at that time. It
was all "wreck.bike" one big unhappy family.

From the description:

This book was written and self published during the early 1980s by
Leonard Goldberg, a former Boeing engineer, bicycle shop owner,
inventor, composer and an altogether remarkable man. Leonard is a
good friend of mine, which is how I happen to have some of his books
on hand.

What other Friends do you have besides "friend of mine", or is that
merely the long form of "friend"?

The Spoking Word is unique among wheel building books because it is
the only such book that treats the subject as an engineering problem,
and it is the only book which examines a variety of creative solutions
to the problem of designing wheels with engineering rigor. It makes
all other books on wheelbuilding appear superficial, and although it
was printed over 20 years ago, the bicycle industry has not yet caught
up to this book.

I don't know who composed that paragraph, but "the Bicycle Wheel" is
entirely engineering in the first part so that readers will understand
how wire spoked wheels work and fail, whole the second part is a
failsafe, step-by-step guide, with diagrams, on how to lace wheels of
various number of spokes and cross patterns.

There being no other attributions, I take it this is your "trying
harder" to make the book seem like a ground breaker, which it is not.
"the Bicycle Wheel" was first after many imitators popped up. Gerd
Schraner's "The Art of Wheelbuilding" was the last:

http://tinyurl.com/58ksmf

The title is appropriate because it treats the aesthetic part of it
well while not dispelling ancient lore. It no analyses or stress
computations, something that is not necessary for wheelbuilding but
helps one understand "Why" various methods work and the causes spoke
and wheel failure.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 4th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Harry Travis wrote:

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
eBay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

So does "the Bicycle Wheel". There was no ".tech" at that time. It
was all "wreck.bike" one big unhappy family.

From the description:

[...]

how wire spoked wheels work and fail, while the second part is a

Old July 4th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 20:36:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
ebay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

From the description:

This book was written and self published during the early 1980s by
Leonard Goldberg, a former Boeing engineer, bicycle shop owner,
inventor, composer and an altogether remarkable man. Leonard is a
good friend of mine, which is how I happen to have some of his books
on hand.

The Spoking Word is unique among wheel building books because it is
the only such book that treats the subject as an engineering problem,
and it is the only book which examines a variety of creative solutions
to the problem of designing wheels with engineering rigor. It makes
all other books on wheelbuilding appear superficial, and although it
was printed over 20 years ago, the bicycle industry has not yet caught
up to this book.

Harry Travis

Dear Harry,

We're squabbling in another thread, but thanks for starting this
one--I can't resist books.

There are four left.

:-)

As payment, here are your calculations:

650 watts

bike + seconds_to seconds_to
rider 10_meters 5_meters
75.0 kg 2.4 1.5
71.8 kg 2.3 1.5
http://www.analyticcycling.com/DiffE...n500_Page.html

There is never any "jump" for the lighter bike, no matter how short
the distance or time, because the same force is used to accelerate two
masses that differ by only ~4%.

That ~4% is the maximum difference for their acceleration.

The equation is Acceleration = Force / Mass
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSC...aws/u2l3a.html

Change the mass by 4%, and you change the acceleration 4%.

That's in a frictionless world.

As wind drag, tire drag, and transmission losses rise further down the
sprint track, the acceleration differences dwindle from that 4%.

What keeps fooling people is their belief that if one bike weighs 50%
more than the other (50%!), then it _must_ go like a bat out of hell
and accelerate with a noticeably robust thrust.

If you tip the bikes to the side, you can _feel_ the difference, no
question about it.

But the total mass is what matters, and it's something like 182 versus
175 lbs. The rider is roughly ten times as important in terms of mass
as the bike.

Put a 161 lb dummy on the two bikes and tip them to the side--now the
difference is only 7/182, ~4%, not 50%.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 4th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 04 Jul 2008 04:01:11 GMT, wrote:

Harry Travis wrote:

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
eBay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

So does "the Bicycle Wheel". There was no ".tech" at that time. It
was all "wreck.bike" one big unhappy family.

From the description:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

Best of all, a single copy of "The Bicycle Wheel" is available on
eBay, starting at $0.99 plus $4.99 shipping and handling--a steal if
some lucky RBT poster is the only bidder. Bidders who care can email
and ask if it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/the-Bicycle-Whee...phot ohosting

It will interesting to see how high the bidding goes.

Will it match the $15.58 that I paid to get "The Spoking Word"?

At www.bookfinder.com, I see a used 1993 copy at $18.99, including
shipping, while new 3rd edition copies are $28.98 including shipping
from Amazon.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 4th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

wrote in message ...
| Harry Travis wrote:
|
| I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
| eBay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
| claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
| trying hard enough.
|
| So does "the Bicycle Wheel". There was no ".tech" at that time. It
| was all "wreck.bike" one big unhappy family.
|
| From the description:
|
| This book was written and self published during the early 1980s by
| Leonard Goldberg, a former Boeing engineer, bicycle shop owner,
| inventor, composer and an altogether remarkable man. Leonard is a
| good friend of mine, which is how I happen to have some of his books
| on hand.
|
| What other Friends do you have besides "friend of mine", or is that
| merely the long form of "friend"?
|
| The Spoking Word is unique among wheel building books because it is
| the only such book that treats the subject as an engineering problem,
| and it is the only book which examines a variety of creative solutions
| to the problem of designing wheels with engineering rigor. It makes
| all other books on wheelbuilding appear superficial, and although it
| was printed over 20 years ago, the bicycle industry has not yet caught
| up to this book.
|
| I don't know who composed that paragraph, but "the Bicycle Wheel" is
| entirely engineering in the first part so that readers will understand
| how wire spoked wheels work and fail, whole the second part is a
| failsafe, step-by-step guide, with diagrams, on how to lace wheels of
| various number of spokes and cross patterns.
|
| There being no other attributions, I take it this is your "trying
| harder" to make the book seem like a ground breaker, which it is not.
| "the Bicycle Wheel" was first after many imitators popped up. Gerd
| Schraner's "The Art of Wheelbuilding" was the last:
|
| http://tinyurl.com/58ksmf
|
| The title is appropriate because it treats the aesthetic part of it
| well while not dispelling ancient lore. It no analyses or stress
| computations, something that is not necessary for wheelbuilding but
| helps one understand "Why" various methods work and the causes spoke
| and wheel failure.
|
| Jobst Brandt

Hi Jobst,

What is the current best bicycle repair manual? Years ago I had a copy of Glenns Complete bicycle manual.
It was very concise, and had laced up a few rims with it. I know its dated, but is there anything better?

Thanks

Old July 4th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Martin Riddle wrote:

What is the current best bicycle repair manual?

I don't know, not being one to use a manual to maintain a bicycle, the
concepts having been obvious beginning with my first bicycles in grade
school. As I see it, there are people with a natural affinity for
machinery and they don't find maintenance a mechanical mystery. I was
maintaining my parents 1931 Ford in those days as well.

Years ago I had a copy of Glenns Complete bicycle manual. It was
very concise, and had laced up a few rims with it. I know its
dated, but is there anything better?

I think the concepts presented in "the Bicycle Wheel" are typical of
my appreciation of mechanical objects, so I wrote it to assist others
for whom these things are less apparent. That is why it starts with
the technical aspects of how tensioned wire wheels work and how they
fail, before explaining how to put one together.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 4th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Harry Travis wrote:

I'm not shilling for this book. I'm inquiring about it, for sale on
eBay. And I'm not dissing Jobst by repeating what may be mistaken
claims, below. It antedates the archive of this group. Or, I'm not
trying hard enough.

So does "the Bicycle Wheel". There was no ".tech" at that time. It
was all "wreck.bike" one big unhappy family.

From the description:

[...]

Carl,
It sounds like you may have read both "The Spoking Word" and "The Bicycle
Wheel". Do you have any comparisons you can share? I have a copy of "The
Bicycle Wheel" and think that it is very well done. Would I gain from having
a copy of "The Spoking Word" as well?
Thanks,
Kerry