Red light cameras?

Old April 22nd 11, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Red light cameras?

On Apr 21, 8:44*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? *Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

This is a serious question, not a troll. *I know a cycling
organization whose officers are trying to decide.

- Frank Krygowski

Another vote FOR.

Lewis

*****
Old April 22nd 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Apr 22, 6:33*am, " wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:44*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Who's in favor of red light cameras? *Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

This is a serious question, not a troll. *I know a cycling
organization whose officers are trying to decide.

- Frank Krygowski

Another vote FOR.

Lewis

*****

I have to vote against. reason why is that on a bike I always look
ahead and both ways to ensure the intersection is safe to cross, so I
am not really affected by the possibilty of a red light runner;
however, as a professional driver I am concerned about the inadequate
warning numerous intersections give going from yellow to red, at
normal traffic speed I am often placed in a possition of having to
instantly decide between slamming on the brakes or just driving
through. I realize that the former would likely result in accidents
from peopple following too closly behind and/or not paying complete
attention, especially during rush hours so I try to avoid hard stops;
but then this does subject me to a red light camera without regard to
the circumstances involved. I always pay attention to my surroundings,
for example the other day a couple of kids were at the corner waiting
as I approached on a stale green and so I slowed which caused me to be
late for the intersection when the light turned yellow. As soon as the
light turned green the kids started to cross without even glancing in
the direction of oncoming traffic- very scary indeed. But the yellow
light was hardly on long enough to allow for normal traffic to
properly stop before the green light came on permitting the kids to
begin crossing. I started slowing before the yellow came on. The
municipality put those kids in seroius danger by a short yellow light
at the intersection. The short light might be a result of some
seriously misguided thinking to catch more red light runners but is
hardly in the best interest of the community it serves.

Old April 22nd 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tad McClellan

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:44:22 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Who's in favor of red light cameras? Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

Traffic cameras rely on photos of the license plate in order to
function. Unless you want a large metal licence plate on your
bicycle, methinks that a cyclists would not need to worry much about
getting a ticket from a traffic camera.

Methinks that the cycling organization is worried about getting
mowed down by an automobile running a red light rather than
about getting a ticket.

If this cycling organization
wants to take a stand on traffic cameras for automobiles, methinks
they're somewhat out of their area of concern and expertise.

Skewing the odds towards avoiding becoming a greasy spot on
the pavement seems a laudable goal for a cycling organization.

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old April 22nd 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

I'm against - based on reports of the accountants taking over and
setting up revenue-enhancement situations where normal drivers
wind up running red lights.

If somebody wants to take a technological approach, I'd like to
see some money spent on timing traffic lights - so somebody, for
instance, doesn't hit 5 out of 7 red lights going the speed limit
while people going 15-20 mph over the limit make all green
lights.

Untimed lights (or, more correctly, lights accidentally timed for
speeds way in excess of the limit) are the rule rather than the
exception around here. (Chester County Penna - USA).

Philadelphia has been able to time the lights on Roosevelt
Boulevard for 30+ years. Atlantic City was doing it back in the
fifties.... so it's not like it's an insurmountable challenge.

--
PeteCresswell
Old April 22nd 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
damyth

On Apr 21, 6:44*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? *Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

This is a serious question, not a troll. *I know a cycling
organization whose officers are trying to decide.

- Frank Krygowski

The video has since been removed from youtube, but a month ago I saw
this coverage on huffypost:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_842297.html

It illustrates that traffic light cameras don't discourage running red
lights at all.
Old April 22nd 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
damyth

this coverage on huffypost:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...c-cameras-grue...

It illustrates that traffic light cameras don't discourage running red
lights at all.

found the original video here (this was a Chinese PSA):
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjU0NDI3OTk2.html
Old April 22nd 11, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
N8N

On Apr 21, 9:44*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? *Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

This is a serious question, not a troll. *I know a cycling
organization whose officers are trying to decide.

- Frank Krygowski

Definitely against, just because of the widespread practice of using
them at intersections with improperly timed yellow lights instead of
fixing the timing.

Implementations like VA where MUTCD-compliant light timing is required
for a RLC installation I don't have a real problem with, but I don't
know that they really accomplish much in those cases. But I'm not
opposed to that specific implementation if some jurisdiction wants to
try.

nate
Old April 22nd 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/22/2011 7:00 AM, raamman wrote:
from peopple following too closly behind and/or not paying complete
attention, especially during rush hours so I try to avoid hard stops;
but then this does subject me to a red light camera without regard to
the circumstances involved. I always pay attention to my surroundings,

The companies that install the cameras usually do it at no cost in
return for a cut of citation revenue. Therefore, the length of the
yellow light is often shortened to generate more revenue.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 22nd 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/22/2011 9:57 AM, N8N wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:44 pm, Frank wrote:
Who's in favor of red light cameras? Who's against?

Do you think a cycling organization should come out in favor of them?

This is a serious question, not a troll. I know a cycling
organization whose officers are trying to decide.

- Frank Krygowski

Definitely against, just because of the widespread practice of using
them at intersections with improperly timed yellow lights instead of
fixing the timing.

Implementations like VA where MUTCD-compliant light timing is required
for a RLC installation I don't have a real problem with, but I don't
know that they really accomplish much in those cases. But I'm not
opposed to that specific implementation if some jurisdiction wants to
try.

nate

It would be nice if a court would set a precedent by throwing out all
the citations where the yellow light duration was too short.