Staying young

Old December 2nd 04, 12:39 AM
Denver C. Fox

What is most irritating about the atrial fibrillation is that at the time we
were with Kaiser Permanente, and I had sent two faxes directly to our supposed
doctor (internist) describing my symptoms in detail - pulse of 158, BP 80/54,
lack of energy, etc., etc.

I sent one on September 8th after one week of this, asking her to call me "If
she had any concerns" and followed up one week later with the same repeated
info, again asking her to call me if she had any concerns. The next week, she
was on the phone to Nora, and I picked up the line and asked her about the
situation - she said she "Was not impressed" but said I could see her if I
wanted to discuss it. I told her I had tried, and the first available
appointment was October 29th. She said that was not her concern, and that I
should not be communicating with a fax.

The next week, with every symprom continuing, I was urged by a couple of MD's
in my bicycling newsgroup to see a MD pronto. So, I made an appointment that
day, but when I fot to Kaiser was told that it was the next day! So I got to
see another MD, and he did an EKG and a rhythm strip, and bundled me up in an
ambulance and sent me 20 miles to the emergency room of the local Kaiser
hospital, where I spent overnight with diagnostic tests.

Anyway, I blame that I did not get to see a MD earlier on some of the
difficulty I am having getting into normal sinus rhythm. But, what to do?

We did write a letter to Kaiser's local clinic asking for a change of MD's.
When I got no response, I was able to get the, evidently secret, fax number of
the President of KP Colorado and faxed the faxes and my letter to the local
clinic to him.

We got a change of MD's, but in the meantime were told by the allergy clnic
that they could not see my wife on an ongoing basis for her severe allergies
because they were too busy with new referral evaluations.

We "escaped" from Kaiser on November 1st. Never again.

Denver Fox wrote:
However, there are no guarantees. September 1st I started continuous atrial

fibrillation, and have been fighting it ever since. This is despite my years
of biking, walking, hiking and eating right. However, my heart is otherwise in
such great shape that I can still do extended walks and rides with no
difficulty.

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old December 2nd 04, 12:02 PM
Raptor

Thomas Reynolds wrote:
I don't really think there is a cause-and-effect relationship between
activity and intelligence. I think it is just two characteristics of
a certain type of person.

But keep riding.

Tom

There was a study in the headlines within the last month to this effect
IIRC: Physical activity keeps alzheimers at bay.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old December 2nd 04, 10:58 PM
Thomas Reynolds

"Olebiker" wrote in message roups.com...
My no-good brother-in-law ......

I have one of those also.

I have to wonder if my friends ride bikes because they are intelligent,
or if they remain intelligent because they ride bikes and stay
otherwise active. I am going to operate under the assumption that
riding keeps you young and interesting. That way I can justify keeping
up this hobby and postponing my dotage.

Old December 3rd 04, 12:03 AM
Chuck Anderson

Thomas Reynolds wrote:

"Olebiker" wrote in message roups.com...

My no-good brother-in-law ......

I have one of those also.

I have to wonder if my friends ride bikes because they are intelligent,
or if they remain intelligent because they ride bikes and stay
otherwise active. I am going to operate under the assumption that
riding keeps you young and interesting. That way I can justify keeping
up this hobby and postponing my dotage.

I don't really think there is a cause-and-effect relationship between
activity and intelligence.

See my previous post.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old December 3rd 04, 01:36 AM
Tim McNamara

Raptor writes:

There was a study in the headlines within the last month to this
effect IIRC: Physical activity keeps alzheimers at bay.

Finding good information understandable to people who aren't medical
professionals on this is a little difficult, but the research does
suggest that exercise may have a protective effect on the brain. For
that matter, so does controlling one's blood pressure, keeping one's
cholesterol low, and regular mental activity that challenges memory
and thinking. There is some evidence suggesting that NSAIDs, Vitamin
E etc can also have a protective effect.

There was a pretty good discussion on this on a "Scientific American
Frontiers" a year or two ago, which could probably be found through
the PBS Web site.

Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 01:09 AM
The steed of the young Anakin Danny Colyer UK 7 October 23rd 03 06:49 PM