First day as a bike courier

Old February 6th 06, 02:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default First day as a bike courier

Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

Uuugh, the traffic! I know even less why people drive now. The jobs to
Port Melbourne are a welcome relief from the CBD.

But today's weather was nice.. Generally I have an appreciation for any
kind of weather, and quite enjoy "bad" weather -- hot or cold or rainy;
maybe windy I'm not so keen on, but I could learn to like it.. I hope.
...I hope my enjoyment of bad weather extends to courier work.. shall
see.

Mmm.. the car door wasn't so nice; a taxi passenger hopping out too
quickly, me cycling down Little Collins.. DOOR! CRUNK! *CLATTER*! ouch,
blood, hand, cut, arm, graze, shoulder, knee; oh good, bike is fine,
I'll still be on time. I like that bike.

A big dinner and big breakfast kept me going all day. No sugar; no
coffee; no meat; no dairy. No wall.

It was somewhat exhilarating.

- mkli

PS, The taxi passenger was considerate and made sure I was okay and
sought out some bandaids for the cut. Said he couldn't believe he did
that, considering it's an issue he is quite aware of. Mmm.. if you're
reading this, a pizza could make it all better
Or an olive loaf from that patisserie/café on the Lt Collins/Causeway
corner; they are soooooo gooooood!

PPS, Sorry for disjointedness awkwardness writing style. Tired, must
sleep. Should sleep.
Old February 6th 06, 10:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle

no coffee;
It was somewhat exhilarating.

- mkli
Shiza! NO COFFEE That sounds crazy to me!

I hope the 'Fun-o-meter' stays hi with the new job

--
JayWoo

Old February 6th 06, 10:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

What's the rig?
Slick shod MTB?
Roadie?

Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?

--
Marx SS

Old February 6th 06, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote in message
Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

What kinda cash do you make for those stats (15 jobs a day etc)
changes here at work may mean i'll be lookin for a new job soon

Old February 7th 06, 12:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dej Wrote:
wrote in message
Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

What kinda cash do you make for those stats (15 jobs a day etc)
changes here at work may mean i'll be lookin for a new job soon

what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
who's your courier company?

--
pase

Old February 7th 06, 10:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dej wrote:

wrote in message
Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

Now Monday has been and almost gone, and 70km, 8 hours (started late
'cause of training), 15 jobs and 1 car door later, I think I like it;
enough to keep doing it for a while, anyway.

What kinda cash do you make for those stats (15 jobs a day etc)
changes here at work may mean i'll be lookin for a new job soon

I'll find out when I get paid next week. Not too concerned at the
moment; just happy I have something to do.

It's contract work though, so it means time spent organising tax stuff,
no employee benefits/security, and bike parts'll be wearing out more
quickly. These past two days have been non-stop as one of their
motorbikes has just gone on leave, so I don't know if this is the usual
pace - if I need to get faster or if I needn't push myself so hard.

I was told when I was signing the contract that we make about $100/day,
though I don't know if that includes GST, etc.

- mkli.
Old February 7th 06, 10:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote in message
Last Thursday I decided I wanted to try my legs at bike courier work,
here in Melbourne, so made a few phone calls and visits to companies,
and by Friday arvo was set to start on Monday.

Spill the beans.....what sort of bike are you running.......what's the
salary like?? I have got a few months of long service leave
owing.........might be an option to consider.

Gags

Old February 7th 06, 11:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

pase wrote:
what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
who's your courier company?

Nothing, suprisingly; just that I like to ride and ride a lot. Perhaps
that I called out of the blue had something to it, and since I'm just a
contractor then what've they got to lose? If I'm too slow or then they can
ditch me without notice, no reason required.

I'm glad I'd been training myself up for it, making sure I ride every
day and push myself while at it -- living out at Burwood helped, since
to get to town it's hills and 20+ km, and friends all live in the
Brunswick/Northcote area. If I hadn't been training at all then I'd've
been buggered before lunch. (Actually.. what lunch?! There's pick-ups to
do and deliveries to make!)

Food consumption:
2kg fruit (inc. plum tree for the gleaning nearby
1 Loaf of bread
1 phat calzone
1 bowl of noodles
6 pieces of toast with tahini, olive oil, vegemite, red laver seaweed.

..gotta eat some beans for bean protein..

Companies to try (melbourne) could include: allied, cox, toll fast,
rapid, blue circle, yellow (?), & just look in the yellow pages and try them.

- mkli
Old February 7th 06, 12:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Marx SS wrote:
Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?

Ooh, they are nice. /Very/ handy especially when a car driver decides to
abruptly pull out.

The impact of pollution isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but the past
days have had a sea breeze. Still, my lungs feel like they're a bit more
clogged than usual.

- mkli.
Old February 7th 06, 12:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle

I'm glad I'd been training myself up for it, making sure I ride every
day and push myself while at it -- living out at Burwood helped, since
to get to town it's hills and 20+ km, and friends all live in the
Brunswick/Northcote area. If I hadn't been training at all then I'd've
been buggered before lunch. (Actually.. what lunch?! There's pick-ups
do and deliveries to make!)

Top effort! For basic training I'm planning a 'Tour de Cote' loop that
takes in Ruckers Hill & possibly crossing the Moonee Valley. Short but
should get me back after injury & other related convalescing.

Back to courier stuff, ensure you keep up a consistent daily
carbohydrate & liquid intake, and please keep an eye on your weight. If
you're hungry, eat. And don't rely too much on coffee & alcohol to get
you through (or over) the day. Ok that advice may not be scientific but
it did originally come from a courier. One more point, not all
receptionists have that 'door bitch' attitude. But some do. Ignore
them, do the job & have fun.

--
cfsmtb

The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM