My latest whinge...

Old May 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default My latest whinge...

Tamyka Bell wrote:

They're a much better
lifestyle choice in Australia than continuing with science, where you're
expected to work 12-14 hours per day on sh!t pay just to get a **** poor
grant next time around.

Bah, you are lucky! When I were a lad, we used to dream of such luxury.

Is it because we're creating immature school graduates these days
who can barely wipe their own bums...

Ay, oh ay. And you try and tell the young graduates of today that, and they
won't believe you!

This thread has not only become a bit philosophical, but is way off
topic. It is interesting, though, that there are so many IT or PhD types
on this list.

Are there? I thought there were just cyclists

Tam

For your information, there's a lot more to cyclists than people think.
Cyclists are like onions. Onions have layers. Cyclists have layers. Get it?
[sighs]

With apologies,

Vince

Waiting for: "TimTams! Everybody loves TimTams! TimTams have layers."

Old May 18th 06, 01:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Vincent Patrick wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

They're a much better
lifestyle choice in Australia than continuing with science, where you're
expected to work 12-14 hours per day on sh!t pay just to get a **** poor
grant next time around.

Bah, you are lucky! When I were a lad, we used to dream of such luxury.

Ah, and it's so hard to get anything other than contract work. How I
long for the days of mad physicists in lab coats working in mysterious
hidden laboratories...

Whatever, I'm going to go into science communication. If you can't fight
them, join them.

Is it because we're creating immature school graduates these days
who can barely wipe their own bums...

Ay, oh ay. And you try and tell the young graduates of today that, and they
won't believe you!

It makes me sick. I see how little people get from their educations,
just a few years after I graduated, and I wonder how much I got ripped
off - if I'd been to uni a few years earlier, would I too have gotten
more out of it?

This thread has not only become a bit philosophical, but is way off
topic. It is interesting, though, that there are so many IT or PhD types
on this list.

Are there? I thought there were just cyclists

Tam

For your information, there's a lot more to cyclists than people think.
Cyclists are like onions. Onions have layers. Cyclists have layers. Get it?
[sighs]

Yep, layers of lycra and superroubaix that protect us to a very minor
extent from road/trail rash... oh, you were being philosophical?

With apologies,

Vince

Waiting for: "TimTams! Everybody loves TimTams! TimTams have layers."

Mmmmm...

Sorry, gotta go get some chocolate...

Tam
Old May 18th 06, 07:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Vincent Patrick Wrote:
In a strictly off-topic conversation, Tamyka Bell wrote:

Vincent Patrick wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Vincent Patrick wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Exactly - students are expected to pay back HECS debts, and

even
students on PhD scholarships will as postdocs contribute tax

(in a
higher bracket than from their undergrad degree) - oh except

that
with no incentive to keep scientists in Australia, most head
overseas...

PhDs in a higher tax bracket? You obviously don't mean the PhD
scientist I
employed who previously had a job stacking comics. :-(

Well, at least he had a job. His basic science degree would've got

him
the dole.

Tam

I think his non-PhD mates had gotten jobs years before.

But were they employed as scientists?
Or were they employed as consultants and in generalist APS roles?

The point is that they had jobs. You might sneer, but even public
service
jobs may be well paid jobs. I believe the public service typically
offers
a better career path than comic shops, which is relevant to the pay
issue
being discussed. Doing a PhD does not automatically place you into a
higher tax bracket, and so PhD "tuition fees" are not necessarily paid
back
in that way. Not that I think universities should be able to charge for
PhD "tuition", but let's not go there.

For your jump to scientists, it really depends on how you
define 'scientists', and 'consultants'. Just like in the medical world,
there is an overlap between consultants and scientists. Or in the
bicycle
world, where someone can be both a road and mountain bike rider. Just
confuse things more, would you classify a PhD-research-type working for
an
industrial company as a scientist or not?

Mostly they are deluded fools, those who do PhDs for the money.

Oops.
:-)

agreed. There is no money in science in Australia. For your wages

or
for your research. Thus those who do it for the science end up

overseas.

Yes and no. If as you state there is no money for science wages in
Australia (and better wages overseas), then the logic consequence would
be
that those seeking money would go overseas, and those content with less
money would remain in Australia. The alternative implication, that
there
is no science in Australia, is specious rather than strictly true.

This thread has not only become a bit philosophical, but is way off
topic.
It is interesting, though, that there are so many IT or PhD types on
this
list.

Cheers,

Vince

The young bloke who is my nextdoor neighbour has a BSc, PhD, MBA and
BMW 320i (a recent wagon model)*. Switched from a job doing research
at uni to being CEO of a private company developing medical technology.

He spends a lot of time overseas chasing financial backers for his
company because there is bugger all financial support in Australia.

*indicates a scientist who is doing OK financially (but he can't be
doing that well because his bikes are nowhere near as good as mine
)

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old May 18th 06, 01:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

SteveA wrote:

The young bloke who is my nextdoor neighbour has a BSc, PhD, MBA and
BMW 320i (a recent wagon model)*. Switched from a job doing research
at uni to being CEO of a private company developing medical technology.

He spends a lot of time overseas chasing financial backers for his
company because there is bugger all financial support in Australia.

*indicates a scientist who is doing OK financially (but he can't be
doing that well because his bikes are nowhere near as good as mine
)

SteveA

Yeah, Australia is not known as the greatest place for entrepreneurial
capital or research expenditure.

Go on, rub it in about the bikes. Makes you wonder, though, what sort of
bikes he might be riding if he hadn't spent so much time doing the BSc, PhD
and MBA. The real issue is whether your neighbour is doing what he enjoys
(I hope so).

The youngish guy who has a small parts distribution business next to where I
work doesn't have a PhD, but owns a recent model Porsche. I don't own a
Porsche but have a road bike, so I reckon I must be doing better. :-)

Cheers,

Vince

Old May 19th 06, 04:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote in
:

snip

Maybe I'll always be an hour behind the marathon winner - but that
doesn't matter to me. The winner would never laugh at me, she'd be
impressed that I was out there running. An armchair sportsfan might
laugh at me, but I'd just think they're a loser for watching when they
could be playing.

So I guess I feel like there is a serious lack of funding into
promoting sport participation for everyone, and that's bad enough. But
it seems even worse that there is a continual push for elite funding,
spreading the message that sport is only for people who are really
good at it.

Elite funding from Governmwnt is directly driven by those sitting in the
couch demanding Aus. be competitive in the sporting arena and their
elected reps following through. Unfortunaletly those that think it is a
nonsense are drowned out by the weight of spectator numbers Look at
the PM, at the bloody cricket, and a plethora of other politicians
prostituting themslves by spectating at sporting events for votes... at
least Hawke took up the bat (even if he got whacked in the eye !). I
guess the PM walks so good on him for doing that publicly !

As to spectating itself, I can't understanding spectating events where
you don't know the participtants, (I can understand watching if your
brother, sister, cousin, mother, father, mate, parent whatever are
competing but a bare ass'd stranger ? how can you ****bly barrakck for
someone you don't know and does not know you... To mis-quote Cat Empire,
"seems kinda strange to me" eg I like off road motorcycling (and MTB
riding) but have a hard time even spectating the ultimate race in the
world, Paris Dakar... Let alone the yawn fest of spectating the Olympics
, Commonwealth Games or plethora of football codes,

I personally think so called elite funding from Government (business can
spend money how they want on sports funding, that should be up to the
shareholders) is a nonsense and would much rather see the money spent on
lockers and bike storage facilities, or boat sheds for those who want to
store a canoe near the river or getting more adults into various sprorts
or health care (like free prostate cancer screening for men). By
getting adults (and children as well) involved in sport directly or via
coaching/teaching you will see a trickle down affect to children....

So, what is to be done, aside from a rant on here ?

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Old May 19th 06, 04:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Trevor_S wrote:

snip
So, what is to be done, aside from a rant on here ?

Who do we target for this one? What level?

Old May 22nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Trevor_S Wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry if it sounds Like name dropping but I once drew the
comparison between Scince funding and Sports funding with Malcolm
McIntosh - at that time head of the CEO and he agreed that at
times,both science and sport can be funded for much the same reason -
to be seen to be doing something on the World stage.

Sometimes this will mean picking and chosing your area to get the most
out of the money, and there will inevitably better and more poorly
funded disciplines. Sometimes it may mean walking away and doing
something completely different when the money you have will never get
you critical mass in an area.

But sometimes you may have to say 98% or so of the world's research is
done outside Australia, perhaps the best thing to do is to take it and
use it. So many "once were researchers" may end up as consultants etc.
helping others to use what is out there. It's still can be a very
useful thing to do

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old May 26th 06, 02:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-05-22, Rory Williams (aka Bruce)
-Albert Einstein

Albert E was an idiot.

Nah.

But fscking Archimedes. What a tosser. We would be advanced 2000
years if it wasn't for his idiotic ideas.

--
TimC
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull