less cars : roll on $2 per litre

Old August 15th 06, 05:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default less cars : roll on $2 per litre

Friday wrote:

When I was a kid if I wanted to go somewhere I had to walk or ride my
bike. Choir, debating and theatre didn't exist back then, never did me
any harm.

Nor did gears on bikes when my dad cycled. Do you ride a single speed
with coaster brake because of that argument? Come to think of it, my
recent forebears struggled to afford chaff for their horse.

Old August 15th 06, 05:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Bleve wrote:
When it hits $10 a litre, what will you do?

Seriously, this problem is not going to go away. The world *will*
change.

That's obvious enough. Wishing for it to happen is still mean and
nasty. Like many people we are economising to afford what is important,
and some of the changes will get less and less fun.

Donga

Old August 15th 06, 05:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Stuart Lamble wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Did you hear Howard mention that there are currently damn-all taxes
on LPG (other than GST) and that these taxes will be ramped up until
in 2012 they will be the same as those on Petrol? No?
Maybe he forgot he passed those changes last year?

Cite? This would be a classic example of spin in action ...

http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/Pubs/R...-04/04rn44.htm

They appear to now be proposing an excise tax of only 12.5 c per litre, but
that leaves them with an energy excise shortfall of 13.4c on LPG. Coming
soon to a servo near you. :-)

Theo

Old August 15th 06, 05:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

Bleve Wrote:

When it hits $10 a litre, what will you do?

Seriously, this problem is not going to go away. The world *will*
change.

The worrying part is, even if we only ride bikes, we are not immune
from this in any way. Imagine postage/freight costs, air fairs, FOOD.
Damn it, I like my food!

--
gplama

Old August 15th 06, 05:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
alison_b

Donga Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
When it hits $10 a litre, what will you do?

Seriously, this problem is not going to go away. The world *will*
change.

That's obvious enough. Wishing for it to happen is still mean and
nasty. Like many people we are economising to afford what is important,
and some of the changes will get less and less fun.

Donga

My hope is that the kids' sports will become better organised...
currently the travel involved in getting kids to games is ridiculous,
sometimes driving for twice the time the game actually takes
It's not a good use of resources, and means instead of the youngsters
having, say, 3 hours of possible activity, they spend 2 hours sitting
in a car.

Bring back local leagues!!!

ali

--
alison_b

Old August 15th 06, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Donga wrote:
Bleve wrote:
When it hits $10 a litre, what will you do?

Seriously, this problem is not going to go away. The world *will*
change.

That's obvious enough. Wishing for it to happen is still mean and
nasty. Like many people we are economising to afford what is important,
and some of the changes will get less and less fun.

That depends on your point of view. When petrol costs so much that
people have to *seriously* look at alternative means of transport, that
can have a positive effect as well as negative. Cars *are*
unsustainable, car culture is *deadly* How many die each year in cars?
more Australians have died in car crashes than in all the wars we've
ever been involved in etc etc.

If we get a little smart about transport, and anticipate the
consequences of the (all too foreseable, alas ... but people *are*
stupid) choices made re where we live, how we get to places we want to
go, where we send our kids to school etc, then it's actually not so
bad. The kids can ride their bikes to wherever they want to go, unless
it's stupidly far away, in which case, the consequences of
unsustainable choices are going to smack the people that have made
those choices, and they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Old August 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

gplama Wrote:
The worrying part is, even if we only ride bikes, we are not immune from
this in any way. Imagine postage/freight costs, air fairs, FOOD. Damn
it, I like my food!

Freight? Logistics? Unless there is a immediate shift to returning
Australia's freight requirements back to rolling stock, we could be
potentially in for a very rude shock regarding food prices. So why
don't food producers grow stuff closer to the population centers??

Well they could of once, before the brick and tile wonderlands took
over the market gardens & orchards in the post-war suburb sprawl. Not
now, the McMansions have stuffed that option.

--
cfsmtb

Old August 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BrettS

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Stuart Lamble wrote:

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Did you hear Howard mention that there are currently damn-all taxes
on LPG (other than GST) and that these taxes will be ramped up until
in 2012 they will be the same as those on Petrol? No?
Maybe he forgot he passed those changes last year?

Cite? This would be a classic example of spin in action ...

http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/Pubs/R...-04/04rn44.htm

They appear to now be proposing an excise tax of only 12.5 c per litre, but
that leaves them with an energy excise shortfall of 13.4c on LPG. Coming
soon to a servo near you. :-)

Which is more than compensated for by the 4.3c/L 'surplus' on petrol
given the likely usage ratios.

The nerd/mechanic/inventor/tinkerer in me still thinks that a
HPV/electric hybrid is the go. Battery charged by a wind turbine (I
live near the coast), or a solar farm in my tornado ravaged back yard.

--
BrettS
Old August 15th 06, 06:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
deejbah

alison_b Wrote:
My hope is that the kids' sports will become better organised...
currently the travel involved in getting kids to games is ridiculous,
sometimes driving for twice the time the game actually takes
It's not a good use of resources, and means instead of the youngsters
having, say, 3 hours of possible activity, they spend 2 hours sitting
in a car.

Bring back local leagues!!!

aliYes, i have noticed that a lot of amateur sporting organizations either

have, or are considering geographic proximity when allocating teams to
divisions. A lot of junior competitions are run like this already and
have been for a long time. It makes sense, and you can still have your
cup type events or carnivals for sports like soccer, basketball and
netball.

These changes will hit us all, which is why it is annoying that
politicians (predictably) take the easy route, because most of them
wont be around when the sh*t hits the fan. Changes could be made now
that would start addressing the problem realistically but they won't
happen while people still think this is solely a problem of the greed
of oil companies and governments rather than a physical reality only
exacerbated by those factors.

Pretty much par for the course in a country that has never been notable
for people adapting to the reality of its physical environment, witness
housing design, land use based upon European rainfall patterns and soil
and the numerous attempts at transplanting inappropriate foreign species
into Australian ecologies.

--
deejbah

Old August 15th 06, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Bleve wrote:
If we get a little smart about transport, and anticipate the
consequences of the (all too foreseable, alas ... but people *are*
stupid) choices made re where we live, how we get to places we want to
go, where we send our kids to school etc, then it's actually not so
bad. The kids can ride their bikes to wherever they want to go, unless
it's stupidly far away, in which case, the consequences of
unsustainable choices are going to smack the people that have made
those choices, and they have no-one to blame but themselves.

Unfortunately houses within cooee of the kids' school start at $1
million for a dump. I live 12 minutes drive away on a good run. I can
ride it in 18 and do when it's just me and I don't need to be
'dressed'. It's not a safe ride for my kids, nor could they do it
practically with the varying hours and the gear they need. Sure there
are choices in all this. I could use the local high and primary
schools, for demonstrably worse educational outcomes. We could decide
not do all the other activities. The extra benefits my kids get are
part of the richness of life in Brisbane/Australia in 2006, for those
who can afford it. That means driving. Talking about blaming myself is
silly. Should I choose to forego what is on offer for my kids? Heck,
I'd better move to the country and live in a humpy while I'm at it.

Donga

Making Driving Less Safe cfsmtb Australia 33 December 19th 05 11:49 PM
end of cars verbluten Australia 6 August 13th 05 11:27 AM
Those darn cars! Patrick Lamb General 5 August 15th 03 02:23 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM