SA - Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists

Old August 19th 07, 02:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Andrew Priest

Default SA - Road safety program launched with a focus on cyclists

G'day

From the Adealid Now.com.au at http://snipurl.com/peep/1polu

Regards
Andrew

L-PLATE students have a chance to win a new Volvo C30 if they take
part in a website questionnaire designed to build cyclist safety into
driver education.

In an Australian first, the new Road Right program has been designed
by the the Amy Gillett Foundation to cut down the 70 cyclist
fatalitiest each year.

Today, Mary Safe, mother of the champion Australian cyclist, who was
killed while training two years ago in Germany, launched the program
at Annesley College, her daughter Amy's old school.

The three-year national road safety program is an online questionnaire
at www.amygillette.org.au and along with thousands of dollars worth of
prizes, one lucky participant each year will win a new Volvo C30 motor
vehicle valued at $34,450.

"Our campaign is targeted at the 16-year-old learner drivers and in
2005 more than 373,000 learners permits were issued," Mrs Safe told an
assembly of Annesley College senior students today.

"Learners are going to be the drivers of the future and we want them
to be a lot more aware while on the road and to know how to take care
when they come across cyclists.

"Amy isn't the only cyclist killed on the road.

"when you lose a child, you need to find a reason to go on with your
life and the foundation has given a purpose, a direction again.

"She is still with me, today and she would be saying `good on you,
mum'."

Then Annesley College Year 12 student and learner driver took the
wheel of the C30 to drive the director of road safety in the
Department of Transport, Martin Small for a drive. Alongside, sharing
the road was Annesley junior school student Izzy Farmer, 11, who rides
her bike to school from Goodwood each day.

And in a poignant coincidence early this morning, Mrs Safe heard from
champion Australian cyclist, Lorian Graham, who was road training with
Amy on July 18, 2005 when she was struck and killed by a car in
Germany, has been selected in the Australian cycling road team.
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au
Old August 19th 07, 03:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Andrew Priest" wrote in message
G'day

From the Adealid Now.com.au at http://snipurl.com/peep/1polu

In an Australian first, the new Road Right program has been designed
by the the Amy Gillett Foundation to cut down the 70 cyclist
fatalitiest each year.

Is 70 cyclist fatalities a year only for Australia?? Seems really high to
me as that is obviously nearly 1.5 casualties per week!!!

Gags

Old August 19th 07, 03:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Skewer

Andrew Priest wrote:
G'day

From the Adealid Now.com.au at http://snipurl.com/peep/1polu

[...]

They screwed up the URL in the article though, there's only one e in
Gillett. http:\\www.amygillett.org.au

The direct link to the questionnaire is
http://www.amygillett.org.au/roadright/index.cfm

Pete.B
Old August 19th 07, 10:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

From the Adealid Now.com.au at http://snipurl.com/peep/1polu

In an Australian first, the new Road Right program has been designed
by the the Amy Gillett Foundation to cut down the 70 cyclist
fatalitiest each year.

Is 70 cyclist fatalities a year only for Australia?? Seems really high to
me as that is obviously nearly 1.5 casualties per week!!!

Over all the states. Wouldn't surprise me, as I bet cyclist
fatalities only get in the newspaper if there's something heart
tugging about them or they need a filler. There are over 1500 car
occupants killed a year, do you read about all of them?

Zebee
Old August 20th 07, 03:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Gags wrote:

Is 70 cyclist fatalities a year only for Australia?? Seems really
high to me as that is obviously nearly 1.5 casualties per week!!!

Over all the states. Wouldn't surprise me, as I bet cyclist
fatalities only get in the newspaper if there's something heart
tugging about them or they need a filler. There are over 1500 car
occupants killed a year, do you read about all of them?

That is less than 1 cyclist killed for every dead motorist, or just under 5%
of road fatalities. How would that relate to hours spent on the road? How
much less safe per hour of road use are bicyles? Anybody know?

Theo

Old August 20th 07, 05:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Theo Bekkers wrote:

That is less than 1 cyclist killed for every dead motorist, or just
under 5% of road fatalities. How would that relate to hours spent on
the road? How much less safe per hour of road use are bicyles?
Anybody know?

Aaaarghh. That was meant to say "That is less than 1 cyclist killed for
every 20 dead motorists"

Theo
Need a proof-reader.

Old August 20th 07, 06:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:57:51 +0800
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

That is less than 1 cyclist killed for every dead motorist, or just
under 5% of road fatalities. How would that relate to hours spent on
the road? How much less safe per hour of road use are bicyles?
Anybody know?

Aaaarghh. That was meant to say "That is less than 1 cyclist killed for
every 20 dead motorists"

Oh good. I was wondering how you kill less than one cyclist. "Look,
do you mind just playing dead till another driver snuffs it?"

Zebee
Old August 20th 07, 07:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

That is less than 1 cyclist killed for every dead motorist, or just
under 5% of road fatalities. How would that relate to hours spent on
the road? How much less safe per hour of road use are bicyles?
Anybody know?

Aaaarghh. That was meant to say "That is less than 1 cyclist killed
for every 20 dead motorists"

Oh good. I was wondering how you kill less than one cyclist. "Look,
do you mind just playing dead till another driver snuffs it?"

I can only see the obvious errors after I post, never before.

Theo

Old August 20th 07, 07:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-08-20, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
Theo Bekkers wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

That is less than 1 cyclist killed for every dead motorist, or just
under 5% of road fatalities. How would that relate to hours spent on
the road? How much less safe per hour of road use are bicyles?
Anybody know?

Aaaarghh. That was meant to say "That is less than 1 cyclist killed for
every 20 dead motorists"

Oh good. I was wondering how you kill less than one cyclist. "Look,
do you mind just playing dead till another driver snuffs it?"

I'm not dead, I'm just pining for the fjords!

In other news, Wikipedia authors analyse things way too much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Parrot
"'tis a funny sketch" is all that needs to be said.

--
TimC
These days I'd use MOSFETs. 1kV 6A (use at 200VDC) ones are about $10 US.
Old August 20th 07, 07:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

TimC wrote:

In other news, Wikipedia authors analyse things way too much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Parrot
"'tis a funny sketch" is all that needs to be said.

Yes it is. 94.5 FM in Perth do a "Five o'clock funnies" every weekday. The
John Cleese Dead Parrot featured last week.

Theo